Porsche 911 (996) GT1-98 1998

• Thread starter JR98
  • 9 comments
United Kingdom
The UK
JASON_ROCKS1998
JR98 GAMING
For the 1998 LeMans season Porsche developed an all-new car, the 911 GT1-98. Designed to match the also new Toyota GT-One and Mercedes-Benz CLK-GTR, the 911 GT1-98 featured bodywork which bore more of a resemblance to traditional sports-prototypes than the previous 2 models while a new sequential gearbox was installed. As per the regulations a street-legal version of the 911 GT1-98 was spawned, but it is believed that only one variant was produced which was still sufficient to satisfy the regulations.

During the 1998 FIA International GT season the 911 GT1-98 struggled to match the pace of the Mercedes, which also were improved, with the main reason being down to the air-restrictor rules being which were regarded as unfavourable to the turbo engine (the Mercedes being naturally aspirated). The Michelin tyres of the factory team and especially the Pirelli of the private Zakspeed team were also considered inferior to the Bridgestone of Mercedes.
At the 1998 Le Mans however, it was a different story. The BMW V12 LM retired with wheel bearing trouble, and the Mercedes CLK-LM vehicles had oil pump troubles in the new V8 engines that replaced the former V12. The Toyota GT-One, which was considered to be the fastest car, also suffered gearbox reliability problems.

The 911 GT1-98, despite being slower than the Toyota or the Mercedes, fulfilled Porsche's slim hopes, taking both first and second place overall thanks to reliability, giving Porsche its record-breaking 16th overall win at Le Mans, more than any other manufacturer in history.

At Petit Le Mans in Road Atlanta, the 911 GT1 '98 of Yannick Dalmas made a spectacular backward flip and landed rear first before hitting the side barriers, as did the BMW V12 LMR at the same race in 2000, and most infamously the Mercedes-Benz CLR at Le Mans in 1999.

The GT1 '98 was set up with higher downforce in the race than the previous two years, which reduced its race maximum speed to 310 km/h (193 mph). However, in the 1998 Le Mans 24 Hours test days, the car hit 330 km/h (205 mph) on the Mulsanne Straight on a lower downforce setup.

Source: Wikipedia

Specifications
Power: 536BHP
Torque: 443 FT-LB
Weight: 1250KG
Engine: 3.2 Twin Turbo Flat 6
0-60: 3.7 Seconds
Top Speed: 202 MPH

Porsche-911-GT1--98_7.jpg

Porsche-911-GT1--98.jpg

Porsche-911-GT1--98_16.jpg

Last edited:
.....:lol: Those rear lights!!

They just stuck them there as an afterthought, eh. :lol:
The rear lights don't look like they belong there. Only there because of homologation with the base 996

Damn, I wish RUF had made a car out of the 911 GT1 car just so we could have it in a game that is not made by EA.

This is actually one of my favourite Porsche's, good post @JASON_ROCKS1998. 👍
I'm suprised no-one suggested it sooner as the F1 GTR Longtail (Another suggestion from me) and the CLR already suggested.

Highlights from the 1998 FIA GT Season with the CLK-LM, 911 GT1-98 and McLaren F1 GTR all fighting for the championship.

Porsche finished 2nd overall, beaten only by the dominant V8 powered CLK-LM.

Also added videos to OP and fixed broken image

Last edited:
Loved the GT1 cars (even if they became LMP's :lol:), So naturally a yes from me, the more GT1 machines the merrier.

And what would really complete it for me, would be to see the '98 Zent liveried Toyota GT-One back :D.

Back