Porsche 911 And 718 Cayman/Boxter To Be Discontinued by 2021, And There's No Replacements For Them.

• Thread starter Turbo
  • 26 comments

Turbo

(Banned)
United States
Elizabeth, New Jersey
What a shocking, sad day for car enthusiasts. Porsche has announced that it's two most venerable performance cars, the 911 and 718, will be phased out within the next three years. This is being done because of Porsche's restructuring plan, which places a greater emphasis on SUVs and CUVs.

In an interview regarding future plans for the marque, Porsche boss Oliver Blume commented:

"We want the Porsche brand's top priority to be crossovers and EVs, as part of our new direction. As such, the 911 and 718 will no longer be in production after the year 2021. As a company, we've talked upon this decision for many years, and it is finally being implemented. The plans we have for the 992 generation of the 911, and the second-generation 718 will sadly not be put into use. This does not mean the Porsche brand is fading out, or doing away with performance vehicles. We will continue to release new and exciting vehicles as time goes on. By 2023, we will unveil a 7-seat family SUV, and a subcompact CUV. Also, look forward to the Mission E entering production in the not so distant future. We feel that crossovers and sport utility vehicles, as well as EVs, are the hottest market sectors at the moment, and our sports cars' profits aren't meeting our expectations, hence why we've proceeded with this new direction.

When asked about any replacements for the 718 and 911, Blume said: "The 718 and 911 will not have a successor, as we have no plans for that. However, we will be releasing many special editions for these models over the next three years. The spirit of the 911 will live on in our next two crossovers."

The Panamera wasn't forgotten about either. When asked about that, he said: "The future of the Panamera is uncertain. At this time, we cannot comment on how long it will be in production".

https://www.carscoops.com/2018/03/porsche-will-disocontinue-the-911-and-718-by-2021/

Last edited:
It's the only financially viable long-term business plan. Good job Porsche for being mature and thoughtful.

Last edited:
It's only fitting that someone that actually goes to carscoop to post their garbage should dump their account in the trash as well.
Literally everyone here uses Carscoops to post automotive news, as it's not an unreliable source.

Guess the Easter Bunny forgot to hide eggs in your home today, because I'm not sure why you're irrationally angry over an obvious, inoffensive joke.

Came here for the title, was about to tell my father (huge 911 fan) than I checked when you posted it.

ALMOST.

Porsche 911 And 718 Cayman/Boxter To Be Discontinued by 2021, And There's No Replacements For Them.
*cough*
986-559-237-00-70C-M100.jpg

Did I fall for this april fools joke? No, no, no of course not. :sly:

Strange, my heart started pumping at warp speed when I read the article. Don't know why though. :D

What a shocking, sad day for car enthusiasts. Porsche has announced that it's two most venerable performance cars, the 911 and 718, will be phased out within the next three years. This is being done because of Porsche's restructuring plan, which places a greater emphasis on SUVs and CUVs.

In an interview regarding future plans for the marque, Porsche boss Oliver Blume commented:

"We want the Porsche brand's top priority to be crossovers and EVs, as part of our new direction. As such, the 911 and 718 will no longer be in production after the year 2021. As a company, we've talked upon this decision for many years, and it is finally being implemented. The plans we have for the 992 generation of the 911, and the second-generation 718 will sadly not be put into use. This does not mean the Porsche brand is fading out, or doing away with performance vehicles. We will continue to release new and exciting vehicles as time goes on. By 2023, we will unveil a 7-seat family SUV, and a subcompact CUV. Also, look forward to the Mission E entering production in the not so distant future. We feel that crossovers and sport utility vehicles, as well as EVs, are the hottest market sectors at the moment, and our sports cars' profits aren't meeting our expectations, hence why we've proceeded with this new direction.

When asked about any replacements for the 718 and 911, Blume said: "The 718 and 911 will not have a successor, as we have no plans for that. However, we will be releasing many special editions for these models over the next three years. The spirit of the 911 will live on in our next two crossovers."

The Panamera wasn't forgotten about either. When asked about that, he said: "The future of the Panamera is uncertain. At this time, we cannot comment on how long it will be in production".

https://www.carscoops.com/2018/03/porsche-will-disocontinue-the-911-and-718-by-2021/

No story at the link? I don't get it?

No story at the link? I don't get it?
That is part of the joke, apparently. Because the story is not true, @Turbo added a link to make the story (= post) more believable. He said it himself, not everybody clicks on links. If they do, they find out that is it a joke.

Did you come up with this story all by yourself @Turbo. If so, well done. I like it.

That is part of the joke, apparently. Because the story is not true, @Turbo added a link to make the story (= post) more believable. He said it himself, not everybody clicks on links. If they do, they find out that is it a joke.

Did you come up with this story all by yourself @Turbo. If so, well done. I like it.
Yes I did actually. Can't tell if it's worth being proud of it or I should end my account :lol:

Yes I did actually. Can't tell if it's worth being proud of it or I should end my account :lol:
Definitely end it stay. If you're that good at entertaining other GTP members and make up believable stories like that, you need to stay.

I see a future "contributing writer".

Definitely end it stay. If you're that good at entertaining other GTP members and make up believable stories like that, you need to stay.

Contributing writer, eh? That's ambitious, but like they say, never say never.

I almost fell for it till I saw the 911 was included when I thought it was just the Boxster and Cayman.

I could see them dropping them for not enough money especially when all they have to do is change the tires, add some stripes and sell a 911 for an extra $100k.

I could see them dropping them for not enough money especially when all they have to do is change the tires, add some stripes and sell a 911 for an extra $100k.

I think that's a bit unfair. They do more than that. They also delete some of the standard base-Carrera equipment then offer it as optional cost extras on the configurator. :)

Oh god no. I don’t want to be greeted with 3 ‘What’s your favourite type of food’ articles in the news section when I browse on GTP in the morning of April 1st next year.

Oh god no. I don’t want to be greeted with 3 ‘What’s your favourite type of food’ articles in the news section when I browse on GTP in the morning of April 1st next year.
I haven't made one of those in a year and I learned my lesson from that...

You've brainwashed me @Turbo. :mad:

:D

Today I saw a new Panamera and I immediatly thought; *this is probably the last time (model wise) I see these Porsches*. Luckily I remembered that it was an April fools day joke.

Back