Porsche 911 GT3 (997) '09 transformation - how?

• Thread starter n44rtt
  • 2 comments
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Relatively new to Gran Turismo, especially the tuning part. Still going through single player progression, cafe menus, etc. I eventually got a Porsche 911 GT3 (997) '09 and I thought that would be a cool car to drive around and surely quite capable.

I was HORRIFIED at the stock handling. So twitchy, even on the straights, and you have to be so so delicate with throttle and braking if you don't want to lose it. This is even on a wheel (using DD Pro bundle). Very frustrating overall and easily the worst car handling car at that point in the game for me, so was quite disappointed. I knew you could probably improve it with tuning but didn't really know what I was doing so didn't try too hard. Some generic upgrades here and there (brakes, suspension but with default settings, tyres, etc), none of which made any difference.

Then I got to the Porsche Cup bit in the Cafe and I thought, right, this guy is making me use this Porsche, there is no way I'm winning these races with that car. So I ended up coming across @praiano63 tune here, and I thought let's give this a try. OH MY DAYS, what a transformation. I was literally grinning from ear to ear driving that car over the Porsche Cup races. So composed and balanced, and sticked to the road even when it gets wet on these races.

So what I really want to understand now is what are the biggest factors in that tune that transform the way the car is handling? I could of course strip the car back to stock and add the tune settings one at a time but I'd really like some input from the more experienced tuners in here. I feel like there is a lot to learn here how to go about similar handling cars when stock and just tuning in general.

I too was amazed at how well the 997 goes with a little praiano magic. Its a joy to drive everywhere and I would like to know the secret, I suspect sourcery of some kind. I have tried a few of his other tunes and all seem really good. You could ask the maestro directly for a few tips. Also, have you read the guide in beyond the apex? There is some good info there. Good hunting.

The Praiano Porsche that I really like the best so far is the 2016 911 GT3 RS. Give it a try and see for yourself. I did not use the wide body mod on this one but it doesn't seem to need it. You have to change the body aeros and don't forget the rear underside aero.
Cheers, Pete
P.S. Praiano has his own special magic. I remember him from GT5 days and he just has the touch. He didn't even own a car back then?!?!? Go figure

Last edited:
Back