Porsche 911 Turbo (930) '81 and 911 Carrera RS CS '95 - HOW do you drive them?

• Thread starter Urzum
  • 4 comments
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
So I've got myself an entry level racing wheel setup to play GT Sport with instead of controller and I'm really enjoying it so far, big improvement over the DualShock for sure.
I've been playing for over a month now, and my driving gets better and better, got my first pole, my first win in Sport mode and I keep improving.

But I cannot for the love of God, Buddha, Shiva and all others, drive these 2 cars. I literally cannot make a turn at speed without overturning. I assume this is because the rear mounted engine, but is this really how hard those cars are to drive? I need some tips, I need to know what I'm doing wrong.
I could drive them no problem with the controller, but it probably worked because of the assists I was having on.
With the wheel I'm only using light ABS and that's about it.

I can drive all other cars, from N100 to GR. 1, but these two are like a curse or something. I can't finish a lap, on any track, without overturning at least once.
I am talking about the BoP versions of them, default tune, as that's the most likely setup they'll get in Sport Mode.

Any piece of advice is appreciated!

Air-cooled 911s (both the 930 and 993) have shorter wheelbase than the water-cooled ones, so therefore they tend to lose control much easier.

911s benefit from the slow in fast out method. Don't charge in the corner way too fast with them. Steering needs to be delicate for those two as well.

Rear engined cars have really good rotation, only if the steering is managed well. Traction is also their forte.

Oh... and don't lift. 911s hate it.

What I do, is that I go half throttle on mid-corner then bury it on the exit to take advantage of the acceleration that a rear engined car can offer. I do this technique on all N-Class 911s in the game, be it air or water-cooled.

Last edited:
Thank you for making this thread.

I find the 991 and 997 to be pretty much instant game winners. They are both extremely competant at N400-600. The 997 has a markedly worse handling trait at the rear but its not bad....

The 996 I find very very much worse.

The 993 I find very very much worse harder terrible.

The 930 is close to impossible.

While the 991/997 are easy for me on the Ring... as in N500 being something like 7'10-7'20" cars I cant do nothing with the older ones.

On easier tracks like Bathurst Monza the air cooled cars arent too bad but damn I dont feel like I'm in complete control.

How I drive 'em? Like this: :sly:

They are rather difficult to drive at the limit though, that's true. :cheers:

I guess it's all about practise.

Last edited:
How I drive 'em? Like this: :sly:

They are rather difficult to drive at the limit though, that's true. :cheers:

I guess it's all about practise.

You drive them like that, but I drive the 911 Turbo like THIS. :P

All done with the DS4 pad

Last edited:
Back