Porsche 917 K Gulf 1970

• Thread starter TobbeGTE
  • 15 comments
Sweden
Göteborg
TobbeGTE
Here I present to you the coolest Le Mans racer of all times...
Here is the Gulf-Porsche 917 from 1970.
The Porsche 917 is a race car that gave Porsche its first overall wins at the 24 Hours of Le Mans in 1970 and 1971.
The 917 was powered by the Type 912 flat-12 engine of 4.5, 4.9, or 5 litres, the 917/30 Can Am variant was capable of a 0-62 mph (100 km/h) time of 2.3 seconds, 0–124 mph (200 km/h) in 5.3 seconds, and a top speed of up to 240 mph (390 km/h).
This is not, however, representative of the majority of 917s. The highest official speed ever clocked for a 917 at Le Mans is 362 km/h or 224.4 mph.

The Gulf-Porsche is known from the movie Le Mans with the King Of Cool himself...
Steve McQueen, or as some of you may know him as Frank Bullitt from the movie Bullitt (1968).

The 917 is one of the most iconic sports racing cars of all time, largely for its high speeds and high power outputs, and was made into a movie star by Steve McQueen in his 1971 film Le Mans.
McQueen raced the 917 in the movie Le Mans and had a 917 in his collection in real life!

There are at least eleven variants of the 917. The original version had a removable long tail/medium tail with active rear wing flaps, but had considerable handling problems at high speed because of significant rear lift. The handling problems were investigated at a joint test at the Österreichring by the factory engineers and their new race team partners John Wyer Engineering and after exhaustive experimentation by both groups, a shorter, more upswept tail was found to give the car more aerodynamic stability at speed.
By this time the original 4.5-litre engine, which had produced around 520 bhp in 1969, had been enlarged through 4.9-litres (600 bhp) to 5-litres and produced a maximum of 630 bhp.
Porsche 917s also raced in the European Interseries in various configurations. In the 1973 Can-Am series, the turbocharged version Porsche 917/30 developed 1,100 bhp (820 kW).
Gulf Porsche 917 McQueen.jpg
Gulf Porsche 917 McQueen..jpg
Gulf Porsche 917,.jpg
Gulf Porsche 917..jpg
Gulf Porsche 917.jpg

You have to see it!
The movie starts with a crash at Le Mans practice, the stuntdriver who crashed the car lost both legs in real life in that crash! :embarrassed:
Yeah if I can find it somewhere I will :) Oh, it's hard to be a stuntdriver, both legs... oh no. :s

Yeah if I can find it somewhere I will :) Oh, it's hard to be a stuntdriver, both legs... oh no. :s
Yep!
He was a real racedriver, David Piper is his name, I read now that it was only one leg, I could swear it was both but ok.
One is bad enough! :(

Back