Porsche 918 Successor Allegedly Shown in Patent Photos

Antarctica
TRAPPIST-1g
ProjectWHaT
Autovisie via Motor1

porsche-918-spyder-successor-patent-images.jpg

Patents were found that could likely be the 918 successor. They look a lot like the 917 Concept which was revealed for the 50th anniversary of the 917. That design was originally made in 2014. At the time it was revealed last year, Porsche design boss Michael Mauer hinted that the 917 Concept will be the inspiration for the 918 successor.

"If you launch a new hypercar then you can go extremely modern in your thinking or maybe just go back to our sports car roots and take inspiration from some of the many icons in our history," Mauer to Autocar. "When you look at the 917 Concept then, personally, I love it. You look at it and you immediately make the connections. But as a designer who believes that the next hypercar should point to the future, I'm not so sure. There is always the option to look into history, but sometimes you can also take the option to create some history."
https://www.motortrend.com/news/porsche-918-successor-retro-design/

At the same time, they had already confirmed plans for a successor.
Porsche CEO Oliver Blume has confirmed that the automaker is well on the way in its plans for its next hypercar. But Blume says the company is still deciding what powertrain to go with. "If we want it to be electric then we must wait, because battery performance is not where we need it to be yet in order to meet our performance targets," Blume said. "It is not decided though that the car will be fully electric. There are opportunities with hybrid, too. We will make a decision when the time is right."

This might be it.

Porsche-917-Concept-front-three-quarters-03.jpg

Porsche-917-Concept-rear-three-quarters-01.jpg

Looks futuristic, but not an easy cockpit to see out of. Are front fenders that high even legal on a road car?

Apparently they've yet to release their VGT concept so I wonder if that is not only the VGT version of the 917 Living Legend, but also the eventual roadcar.

The 917 Living Legend is not the Vision GT car, the Vision GT car is coming later and is supposedly something else. Both of these are indeed coming to Gran Turismo Sport but that's all we know.

I was gonna say it's impossible that's a road car but then I remembered the Aston Valkyrie. And then all of the homologation specials of the 90s.

Now my bet is that Porsche will join the LM Hypercar class and this is the road going version of their car.

Back