Porsche Cup Race 6 - 911GT3 60min Nurburgring Endurance

• Thread starter TonyJZX
  • 6 comments

TonyJZX

(Banned)
Australia
Australia
I didnt see much discussion about this when it hit, I guess its an advanced endurance so many people were put off by it.

It dropped like 2 or 3 patches back and I skipped it as I knew it would be hell, green hell you might say.

So I was bored over this Xmas break so I gave it a go. Its not easy, especially if you suck at the 'Ring like I do.

I used a 2,000km high mileage 911 w/ HSG tune 330km/h final drive, this thing has 7 gears so you can do with a high overdrive. RH tyres.

I think the start interval was 50 secs and it blew out to 1'10" or so which is highly demoralising.

Your tank only does 2 laps so you're always going to be in an inlap or outlap. I slowly started to reduce the interval down to about 20-30 secs.

Also I tried to persevere on overtaking... its so hard to overtake on this track so you're better off waiting until a good corner or better still, taking them on the GP track which has heaps of opportunity. TIme it right and you will chop 3 or 4 cars on the GP track.

Funny thing happened.... I got to about the 55min mark and everyone pitted for a splash and dash.

I didnt, I had like 0.8 laps left in the tank so I gambled and went to FM6 once the time stopped at 60 mins.

I think my interval got to max 15 secs to 2nd driver and it fluctuated between 5-10 secs... then drove the lap of your life on FM6 to the finish which left 10 secs at the end.

So the impossible happened, I beat them all *somehow* on the hardest race of them all.

xS6x34d.jpg

Full disclosure I did cheat a little, you may be able to work out how by this pic.

I didnt see much discussion about this when it hit, I guess its an advanced endurance so many people were put off by it.

It dropped like 2 or 3 patches back and I skipped it as I knew it would be hell, green hell you might say.

So I was bored over this Xmas break so I gave it a go. Its not easy, especially if you suck at the 'Ring like I do.

I used a 2,000km high mileage 911 w/ HSG tune 330km/h final drive, this thing has 7 gears so you can do with a high overdrive. RH tyres.

I think the start interval was 50 secs and it blew out to 1'10" or so which is highly demoralising.

Your tank only does 2 laps so you're always going to be in an inlap or outlap. I slowly started to reduce the interval down to about 20-30 secs.

Also I tried to persevere on overtaking... its so hard to overtake on this track so you're better off waiting until a good corner or better still, taking them on the GP track which has heaps of opportunity. TIme it right and you will chop 3 or 4 cars on the GP track.

Funny thing happened.... I got to about the 55min mark and everyone pitted for a splash and dash.

I didnt, I had like 0.8 laps left in the tank so I gambled and went to FM6 once the time stopped at 60 mins.

I think my interval got to max 15 secs to 2nd driver and it fluctuated between 5-10 secs... then drove the lap of your life on FM6 to the finish which left 10 secs at the end.

So the impossible happened, I beat them all *somehow* on the hardest race of them all.

Bravo! 👍

I struggled with all these Porsche Endurance events on first release as I couldn't keep the Porsche in a straight line... my natural tendency is towards oversteer, which makes my driving erratic with RR cars (same applies with the 1972 Alpine and the other Porsches). I've never gone back to complete them, and I'm not sure I'd have the patience for this race particularly.

I'm actually doing quite well at the 'Ring. This has traditionally been the hardest for me. Including Brands Hatch F1500 and any Suzuka.

I can finally do an N400 vs GT4 2 lap custom race and get 1st which is something I wouldnt be contemplating before. Granted I used an N400 997 GT3 which swings things in my favour.

There's this thing where you get over the 'hump' on most tracks where it finally clicks and now it clicks.

Found this to be surprisingly easy! I had took the lead shortly into lap 3 and finished with over 2 and a half minutes gap. Stock tune of the engine and weight, Prianos suspension and LSD set up, standard gearbox and racing medium tyres. I dare say i could have used racing softs as the tyre wear is that gentle! After the 2nd pit stop on lap 4 do 1 full lap on standard mapping, lap 2 on map 6 and then what ever you can get for the 3rd lap. I managed fuel map 4 most of the way and when i reached the main straight i had enough to switch back to map 1.

Back