Port Fowarding and connection speed

  • Thread starter Thread starter Uscbryan
  • 7 comments
  • 2,713 views
Messages
331
Messages
Usc_trojan949
I don’t know if this belongs here but since GT5 is the only game I play and this has to do with it I am posting it here. If it belongs someplace else please let me know. I have done some online searches but mostly what I find pertains to GT5P.

My question is I run my PS3 off a wireless network. My wireless router is upstairs and PS3 downstairs. It get’s a decent connection when I do the tests (BTW what would be a decent connection for u/l d/l speeds?) It says NAT2 when connected to online racing. The last week or so I have been getting dropped from the Lobby A LOT! Maybe it is because of the new patch everybody is going online? But I am curious if "port forwarding" would help the online experience in any way? I also have actually been getting dropped from the PS3 network as well. Didn’t seem to happen as much until this past week. I have a cable modem with decent speeds.

Any suggestions and/or how to's would be appreciate. And I again I apologize if this doesn’t belong here I just know there is a lot of knowledge in these forums and this does kinda sorta have to do with GT5 since that is the only game I play.

Worse case scenario I will have to find a way to get the cat5 cable to the PS3 but I would like to make that happen only if need be.
 
I don’t know if this belongs here but since GT5 is the only game I play and this has to do with it I am posting it here. If it belongs someplace else please let me know. I have done some online searches but mostly what I find pertains to GT5P.

My question is I run my PS3 off a wireless network. My wireless router is upstairs and PS3 downstairs. It get’s a decent connection when I do the tests (BTW what would be a decent connection for u/l d/l speeds?) It says NAT2 when connected to online racing. The last week or so I have been getting dropped from the Lobby A LOT! Maybe it is because of the new patch everybody is going online? But I am curious if "port forwarding" would help the online experience in any way? I also have actually been getting dropped from the PS3 network as well. Didn’t seem to happen as much until this past week. I have a cable modem with decent speeds.

Any suggestions and/or how to's would be appreciate. And I again I apologize if this doesn’t belong here I just know there is a lot of knowledge in these forums and this does kinda sorta have to do with GT5 since that is the only game I play.

Worse case scenario I will have to find a way to get the cat5 cable to the PS3 but I would like to make that happen only if need be.

From my experience, port Forwarding improves connection, at least, for FIFA 11 and Bad Company 2. For GT5, I set them so that there is a better connection. I can't tell the difference for GT5 because I set it from day one. But, dude, mind you, wireless connection is much poorer than cable connection.
 
Based on your description of your problem - it seems you are having a couple of possible issues:

1. The cable modem is dropping your connection
2. The Router you have is dropping your connection
3. The wireless signal strength is dropping too low to maintain the connections.

Those are possible issues based on the information you gave with losing the PSN connection & Lobby connections.

Port Forwarding is always a good option to do, but you really need to make sure the Wireless signal is staying stable. The next time you lose your connection do a quick check on the wireless signal strength. Remember anything that uses 2.4Ghz (wireless phones) can interrupt your wireless signal long enough to cause drops.
 
From my experience, port Forwarding improves connection, at least, for FIFA 11 and Bad Company 2. For GT5, I set them so that there is a better connection. I can't tell the difference for GT5 because I set it from day one. But, dude, mind you, wireless connection is much poorer than cable connection.

Yes port forwarding cannot hurt and could help - also wired connections will always be more stable than wireless connections.

Another option is to check your wireless router to see if you can adjust the gain settings to increase the signal strength.
 
I've had trouble playing Online games to a couple years back and tried port forwarding. But tbh it is a pain in the ass you have to find out what port each game uses and then change all your routers setting sand open the ports. So in the end I just put my ps3 into DMZ which effectively opens all ports and i haven't had any NAT problems since.

Hope this helps anyone :)
 
I turned the upnp on the router on so i will see if that helps. It was supposed to be on by default but it wasn't. Thanks for the responses.
 
If UPnP is disabled on your router then your router will not allow the PS3 to open and close the ports it needs when it does and doesn't need them, so you have to control the ports the PS3 can use by port forwarding but then they are always open. By using UPnP the router gives the PS3 permission (so to speak) to open and close the ports that it needs when it does and doesn't need them.

Another thing to check is to make sure WMM is enabled. This is wireless multimedia and will give priority to your PS3 if any other device is connected to the same router (PC or laptop browsing internet).

Your NAT is Network Address Translation and is to do with your outside IP addressing so don't worry about that.

If I where you I would move the router downstairs and carry on trying using the wireless, if you have no problems then you know that something is interfering in the house (anything operating on a radio frequency range of 2.4 Ghz for Wireless G) Lights can interfere, bluetooth, maybe even things like dryers or even wet dogs so I have been told lol!

If you want to plug your PS3 in then I suggest you buy a wireless repeater, you can get a decent wireless N router (netgear) from ebay for about £30. (If you are going to use cable btw then don't use Cat 5, either use Cat5e or Cat6, they are the two I'd recommend) as I wouldn't recommend running a single cable as it is alot trickier than you think.

As for speeds for your PS3 I would say anything above 2MB download should be fine and maybe around 800Kb and upwards for upload speeds, cant check mine atm as Bob is racing but I'll let you know if I remember (It's a long race for poor Bob)

BTW ...


Default DMZ opens all ports in and out to a particular device, so it would be possible for people to come in aswell as out so be very careful with if using this technique!
 
Last edited:
I did a speed check last night I was at about 9 download and 1.8 upload. I never lost connection after turning on upnp so maybe that worked. We also had some crazy rain that stopped last night, not sure if that would affect the cable lines or not. But so far it's working. Thanks again.
 
Back