Possible to save endurance races?

  • Thread starter Thread starter kmwmtd
  • 15 comments
  • 2,853 views
Messages
7
Messages
kmwmtd
I did a quick search, and couldn't find an answer in the first 2 minutes of looking, so I'll ask the question. Is it possible to save an a-spec endurance race in mid-race so that you can continue later? I am currently doing the 4 hour roadster race and that is inconvenient enough, but the thought of trying a 24 hour race without the option of playing something else now-and-then to break the monotony is almost too much to bear. Also, I am not in a position to play for 24 hours straight (nor am I physically capable of doing so), and I don't want to have to leave the ps3 on for several days while I chip away at a 24 hour race - haven't Polyphony heard that we are supposed to be trying to save energy?
 
No. You can pause and leave the PS3 on. It will use very little power, I doubt you'd notice it on your bill.

It is lame though.
 
But if there is an accidental black out everything get wasted, bad move by PD in 2011 still not allow us to save every 2 or 3 hours in a pitstop 👎
Not mentioning keep the PS3 on for 24hours (+ breaks and sleep 30 hours) is NOT adviced at all.
Not mentioning IN REAL LIFE, professional drivers don't drive for 24h hours they are part of a team of 3 or 4 pilots for every single car

I wonder why Pd still don't want understand to this.
 
Honestly...I want to meet the developers who made this game and see if any of them are even willing to leave their consoles on for like 2 weeks at a time, not able to play any other games, just to complete a 24h endurance race.

I bet not one of them would say they are willing to do it. That just makes them bad at making games, lol.
 
This what I really HATE by Pd, not possible to save during a pit in an endurance yet = WHAT THE HELL :banghead:
 
But if there is an accidental black out everything get wasted, bad move by PD in 2011 still not allow us to save every 2 or 3 hours in a pitstop 👎
Not mentioning keep the PS3 on for 24hours (+ breaks and sleep 30 hours) is NOT adviced at all.
Not mentioning IN REAL LIFE, professional drivers don't drive for 24h hours they are part of a team of 3 or 4 pilots for every single car

I wonder why Pd still don't want understand to this.

It's a terrible design oversight (i hope it wasn't on purpose), but leaving your PS3 on isn't a problem. It's just a computer, and people leave computers on all the time. Turning it off and on is actually harder on it.

Hopefully saves will get added though, because I use my PS3 for netflix a lot, so I won't be doing any longer A-Spec enduros until I can save.
 
Does it not say, 15 minute breaks every hour of play, and no more than something like, 3 hours a day as a recommendation in instruction books still?

8 days if so...
 
It's a terrible design oversight (i hope it wasn't on purpose), but leaving your PS3 on isn't a problem. It's just a computer, and people leave computers on all the time.
This is what Sony want make you believe :lol: keep a PS3 on, without a decent placement and something to cool it dawn a bit is the best way to have the YLOD
 
This is what Sony want make you believe :lol: keep a PS3 on, without a decent placement and something to cool it dawn a bit is the best way to have the YLOD

Well, if you shove your PS3 (or a computer) in a dusty corner it's going to screw up anyway.

There is something to keep it cool, a fan.

I have it on an open shelf, if it doesn't overheat in 15 hours, why would it overheat on hour 16?
 
It's a terrible design oversight (i hope it wasn't on purpose), but leaving your PS3 on isn't a problem. It's just a computer, and people leave computers on all the time. Turning it off and on is actually harder on it.

Hopefully saves will get added though, because I use my PS3 for netflix a lot, so I won't be doing any longer A-Spec enduros until I can save.

Harder on the PSU circuitry yes but it's the Cell and RSX that are the weak points in the PS3 and having them on for days on end at what is probably close to full load is just plain dumb not to mention the power it's using.

Even at idle the PS3 uses over 170W so if like a lot of people you can only manage an hour a day or so over 2 weeks it's gonna cost a few quid per endurance race for no good reason.
 
Harder on the PSU circuitry yes but it's the Cell and RSX that are the weak points in the PS3 and having them on for days on end at what is probably close to full load is just plain dumb not to mention the power it's using.

Even at idle the PS3 uses over 170W so if like a lot of people you can only manage an hour a day or so over 2 weeks it's gonna cost a few quid per endurance race for no good reason.

Interesting. :)

Would the load still be that high (you said "at what is close to full load") when the game is paused? Or when you are "Alt-Tabbed" (or whatever the PS3 equivalent is) out and viewing other menus or even using PSHome or whatever?

Some aspects of this console lead me to beleive that Sony had in mind for people to leave it on all the time, so it could do things in the background and they'd have easy access to everything (since "it only does everything" ;) hehe).


Would be nice if they got it to run on less power and less heat, maybe in the PS4 (whenever that comes out).....
 
Interesting. :)

Would the load still be that high (you said "at what is close to full load") when the game is paused? Or when you are "Alt-Tabbed" (or whatever the PS3 equivalent is) out and viewing other menus or even using PSHome or whatever?

Some aspects of this console lead me to beleive that Sony had in mind for people to leave it on all the time, so it could do things in the background and they'd have easy access to everything (since "it only does everything" ;) hehe).


Would be nice if they got it to run on less power and less heat, maybe in the PS4 (whenever that comes out).....

170W is the PS3 at idle, at load it's more like 200W so with the game paused it's probably somewhere in between (these are fat PS3 figs don't know the slim off hand)
 
Well with all this electrician discussion based on pure theory you miss the point that
IN REAL LIFE, professional drivers don't drive for 24h hours, they are part of a team of 3 or 4 pilots for every single car
So even if the PS3 can do it without any risk (I've got many doubts) there is no reason why somebody keep trying to justify Pd not letting people to save the game after 3 hours at least.
 
Thanks for the replies - I was pretty certain "no" would be the answer.

Oh well, back to the grind - just hit lap 100 after 1h45m ... only another 2h15m to go :-(

Knowing my luck, I will get a power cut at 3h59m ;-)
 
It wouldnt be endurance if you could save it.
If you dont want to 'risk' your PS3's or your own health, dont do it :)
 
It wouldnt be endurance if you could save it.
If you dont want to 'risk' your PS3's or your own health, dont do it :)

Well, as others have said real endurance races have multiple drivers too.
 
Back