Possibly buying bass guitarMusic 

  • Thread starter Thread starter xAkirax2004
  • 15 comments
  • 574 views
Messages
2,932
Ok. Ever since I was 12 I dreamed of playing bass. My parents thought I wouldnt ever use it, but now that im 17 and going to college soon I'd figure I would need something to do besides keg parties and lectures.

I currently have something like $700-$750. Hopefully enough for a bass guitar and an amp. Now you users at gtp here need to give me good advice for a good one name the brand, price, and picture (if you got one) and also do the same for the amp (if any)


thanks
~akira
 
Now where's Pako, he's an expert on this stuff..
 
Seriously though, I'm kind of biased toward Fender but that's the only make of guitar I've played so Pako will be more insightful.
 
Same with me, except my experiences are only with guitars. I don't think Fender's are as good at basses as they are at guitars though.
 
Pako plays a Fender. But there are a myriad of good basses on the market in your price range. Hit www.musiciansfriend.com. for some ideas.
They also do amps/strings/straps/string winders, etc.
Also check out Carvin. Any of the music sites, like Harmony Central will have a link.

I personally would recommend the Fender P-Bass or one of the Ibanez Basses to a beginner. Both are very sturdy instruments, but also good quality instruments, I would also recommend that you take someone with you that knows basses when you hit the shops.
The first rule of thumb when buying a guitar or bass, is to buy an instrument that is better than you. That way as your talent grows you grow into the instrument you have instead of having to upgrade over and over again.
Do shoot Pako off a PM. He is the man when it comes to Bass guitar.
Prepare yourself for an addiction, that can become very expensive, but awesome fun.:D
There is nothing in the world like making music.
 
No prob, But the walama has to go.:lol:
 
Oh? It does? I guess back to the biohazzard sign...then once im able to create a custom title ill put it back in (which is about 185 posts away...)
 
Actually, I'm giving you a hard time.
I'm not crazy about the walama. But that's because I'm old and when I go to look up what I've posted previously, I want to be able to scroll down the page and I know when I see that red-bird that it is definetly my post.:D
 
Ok now looking at the store I got a question...


4, 5, or 6 string Bass?
 
Start out with 4. I play electric and it is a lot better to start out with 4. My personal preference for basses is either Fender or Ibanez. If you buy a decent bas with an amp that'll give you noise, but not leave you deaf you'll end up spending around $600. If you buy a practice amp the price drops about $250. I'm lucky because my uncle had a bass that he got for free (Ibanez Ex Series), and since he plays guitar he gave it to me. I then bought a $150 amp at my local store.

Anyways, hope that helps.
 
I forgot about amps.

I found that Peavey or Fender are decently priced and have an excellent sound. My dream stup would be a Marshall cabinet, but I'm only 15 and without a job. Good luck on the bass. :)
 
Wow,

Where was this thread hiding? For a beginner just starting out, I would suggest getting into a used package. Check the local pawn shops, as well as the local music stores, classifieds, and with proper instruction even ebay. My first setup was a Carvin studio bass 4-string with a Fender Bassman 20 combo amp for about $400.00. Later on, I became more experienced with what I wanted/needed for my playing style and was able to make a better selection for my next purchase. I now own a 4-string Fender J-Bass, a 5-String Warwick Fretless, and I should be getting my 7-String Conklin today. My point is, I have aquired this little family of basses after 16 years of playing bass, and really only 5 of those years in clubs and various other events.

There are so many good names out there that it would be hard to suggest just on a name. Most of your brands have entry level on up to professional level equipment, so it really depends on what you need.

Do some research, as Gil suggested, but also look into the used stuff. You can usually find a good deal. If you find something that looks/sounds/feels good, flip me a PM with the specifics and I would be more than happy to give you my opinion on it.

Also check out www.talkbass.com for additional resources.

:cheers: and welcome to the LowEnd!
 
Sounds good Pako! 👍 I might go to the local music shop (daddy's junky music) for a good start. Thanks again!
 
Just be prepared to answer this question:
"How do you get a guitar player off your porch?"
Pay for the pizza! (rimshot):lol:
 
Back