Post your opinions here!!!!

• Thread starter t3kc0h
  • 7 comments

Is the cool factor worth the time and effort?

• Total voters
United States
My Lab
t3kc0h
Asus iZ Pro
I just want to gather up ideas. From all you Nissan truck guys.

I have a 1986 Nissan D21. I noticed she was getting a bit tired...

Now I've had an idea. Keep the throttle body injection, and turbo the sucker.

What would you react to seeing this or me telling you about it?

I just want to gather up ideas. From all you Nissan truck guys.

I have a 1986 Nissan D21. I noticed she was getting a bit tired...

Now I've had an idea. Keep the throttle body injection, and turbo the sucker.

What would you react to seeing this or me telling you about it?
Yeah, no. Might as well turbo my 1997 Camry.

Putting a turbo on a truck like that is just pointless and will cost you way more than what the truck is probably worth.

It also would not get any "cool" points from me; this isn't a supercar is it? It would only have me thinking "there goes a knob who thinks that adding a turbo automatically makes his car cool."

If you need more power, I'd suggest upgrading more sensible things, such as the air intakes, spark plugs, cleaning out the fuel system with a fuel system cleaner, overall airflow improvements, exhaust and manifold improvements, etc.

OR I would just buy a new truck for the price of installing a turbo.

There are many steps to installing a turbo, such as cooling system, feeding oil to the turbo, changing the whole manifold to accompany the turbo, etc. It just doesn't seem worth it, especially on a vehicle like that.

It certainly won't be that hard if he has the KA24 or more so the VG30 engine. Not something I'm into, but it wouldn't be a bad idea.

I do have the VG30 engine.

As for @KinLM
There was a company who dumped $10,000 into this motor. N/A it only made 300hp. With a turbo, you're talking in the 400 to 500 range on stock internals. With upgraded rods and heads, you could most likely get into the 700 range before the serious modifications were needed.

There was a company who dumped $10,000 into this motor. N/A it only made 300hp. With a turbo, you're talking in the 400 to 500 range on stock internals. With upgraded rods and heads, you could most likely get into the 700 range before the serious modifications were needed.
And your driveability is going to SUCK.

I do have the VG30 engine.

As for @KinLM
Looking at the way you worded your post, it sounds like the 300 HP is still on "stock internals". With upgraded rods and heads, I'm sure you'd be getting more than 300 HP.

EVEN IF 300 HP is the most you can get, that's plenty. I've never been driving the 305 HP mustang we own and started thinking "you know, this isn't enough power" (sure, more would be fun though :P)

If you really want to dump 5X to 10X what your truck is worth on bumping up the power to the point that it's a pain to drive on regular roads, go right ahead. It's your money. But personally I would either invest in a new vehicle, or go for the cheapest N/A mods possible until you are satisfied. There's just so much that goes in to installing turbos, and I get that on serious track day cars or expensive supercars. But on an old truck that is driven all over? I just don't know.

Like I said though. Not my money, you should do what makes YOU happy. Can't say it isn't fun to hear a turbo spool up.

I don't think it really matters that in the grand scheme of things it costs more than the truck. I give him originality points that's for sure. I'd make sure the rest of the truck can last longer, you know just taking care of rust and the like before investing a lot just to find the thing needs to be scrapped.

It's rust free. Just a little dirt but no rust.

I was simply saying you could get 300hp on stock internals. "Upgraded rods and heads", there's two different ways. STRONGER, without increasing the compression ratio, which is already 9.0:1, or going the performance way, which increases compression ratio, stroke, etc.

The Z cars ran this motor with 7psi of boost. And out of an SOHC 3.0l V6, 200hp isn't all that bad. I really don't even want more than 300hp... just the factor of having a turbo, in my mini truck. Which would give it the ability to actually get up a damn hill in 5th...

Back