Potential Everyday Items for Racing Setups

• Thread starter HoOn
  • 20 comments
HoOn
Ever since I've visited these forums I've been trying to find ways to build a DIY racing setup. I would be at Home Depot or any store and look at different items like ladders or chairs that have potential to be a really cool and functional racing setup. :D

So I was crossing the street earlier and saw this old lady with her walker and I couldn't help but think of the possibilities the walker had! LOL If you look at the walker it definitely has potential! It just needs a little work but it should work! This made me chuckle. xD

Maybe some of you are like me and try to look for things that are normal things that have the potential to be a good racing setup. Post them! :)

IMG_20110111_133544.jpg

Thanks!

John

IMG_0329.jpg

One of the best, most ghetto setups I've seen. It belongs to Littlebahamut, a member here.

👍

And tempted to say /thread...

Adjustable_work_bench.jpg

I must have played 100 hours of Initial D on PS2 with my wheel hooked up to a workbench like this.

They weigh a lot because you are supposed to use a table saw on them and they have to be sturdy.

I was looking for a table saw that would do the trick but I haven't found any good ones. Did you tweak it a bit? Where did you put the pedals?

I was looking for a table saw that would do the trick but I haven't found any good ones. Did you tweak it a bit? Where did you put the pedals?

Here's a picture of one that was closer to the one I had.

http://visual.merriam-webster.com/h...gripping-tightening-tools/work-bench-vise.php

I am a small guy and I was in highschool at the time so I think I actually fit my legs inside to work the pedals. But it's been a while so it's hard to remember. I know I fastened the wheel to the side opposite the footrest.

But if you want to use a table like that you might be able to cut some wood and screw it directly to the table and create a better shelf to put the wheel on.

My first DIY cockpit was a $20 ab roller and AK rocker chair. I've since upgraded to a $30 TableMate II, but I still use the AK rocker.

Peace \/
chisel316

IMG_0329.jpg

One of the best, most ghetto setups I've seen. It belongs to Littlebahamut, a member here.

👍

And tempted to say /thread...

I used a similar setup for much of GT4. Then tried a tablemate.

table-mate.jpg

That didn't work so well either so for GT5, I finally got something decent and picked up a Playseat Evo.

I used a similar setup for much of GT4. Then tried a tablemate.

table-mate.jpg

That didn't work so well either so for GT5, I finally got something decent and picked up a Playseat Evo.

Nice tablemate, what all did she do, just serve drinks or sometimes navigate for you as well?

I also tried something like the tablemate but when I made a sharp turn everything went flying! ROFL! It was a disaster! :dopey:

I've been using the TableMate II (shown in the picture above) for years without any issues. I guess it's because I have it up against a wall (my monitor is mounted on a swivel arm so I can hover it right in front of me) and sandwiched between two speaker stands. I can see how it would slide around otherwise. The nice thing about the TableMate II is that there is room for a keyboard and mouse in front of the mounted DFP.

My racing cockpit

Peace \/
chisel316

The first post made me laugh so hard everyone in class thinks I'm nuts (well they already do but yeah.)

I've seen various bits of home gym equipment at the side of the road in the past and thought they could be made useful tho, I mean they're sturdy and adjustable, might just need some bits welded on.

I used to have my pedal box duct taped to the floor when I just used a sawhorse type thing I built myself for the wheel, there's literally infinite ways you can set up a wheel.

I've been using the TableMate II (shown in the picture above) for years without any issues. I guess it's because I have it up against a wall (my monitor is mounted on a swivel arm so I can hover it right in front of me) and sandwiched between two speaker stands. I can see how it would slide around otherwise. The nice thing about the TableMate II is that there is room for a keyboard and mouse in front of the mounted DFP.

I can see why your setup was more stable; the table is more enclosed which helps with stability. I used mine on the couch so there's nothing holding it down except the wheel. My wife would kill me if I taped it on our hard wood floors. LOL

...there's literally infinite ways you can set up a wheel.

Ahhh.. that's why it's so much fun to think of everyday things on the street or at home that would have the potential to be an awesome racing rig. xD

Lot's of creative people here. Keep 'em coming! :)

Kid-size lawn chair and Fisher Price super-indestructible table. Might seem small, but it's very comfortable for an adult and has a low, open wheel ish seating position (legs are at an angle of about 70 degrees instead of the minivan-like 45 degrees of many other set-ups.)

Currently fitted with a GT3RS. The chair folds (obviously) and the table legs are removable, so you can store it quite easily.

I love it hand have no plans of changing to a different cockpit :)

IMG_0981.jpg

Here's what mine looks like now you can see other pictures on my Profile Page it's not sold anymore but here's a link to a newer version
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_...1&blockType=G11&prdNo=11&i_cntr=1294867584061

Mine:

Note: Nothing to get in the way of the pedals also inverted them so when I want to move them they go with the wheel.

vika-artur-tischbock-mit-ablage-birke__79324_PE202881_S4.JPG

Vika Artur - 20€ @ Ikea. Just leave out the small pieces of wood at the bottom, so that you can place your pedals there. ;)

Back