power vs lightweight

  • Thread starter Thread starter Holdenhsvgtsr
  • 19 comments
  • 1,117 views
I'd more likely call that a "Nice vrs. Rice" race. That Peugot looked absolutely HIDEOUS! Twin 8" exhaust tips? Can you put something a little more useless on that car? Or how about that massive rediculous stereo... with TV's...and a Playstation? That shade of Bluebird's egg is absolutely garbage as well. And airbag suspensions are pointless on the track. I'm surprised the Stig didn't "accidentally" drive it into a guardrail and do the world a favor.
 
Actually air bags are quite good on the track, AirRide Technologies has an air bag set up specifically for track cars.
 
What kind of BullCrap race was that? Where's the V8? When I heard toyo mention a Peugot I thought it was going to be the lightweight part of this video.
 
I remember seeing this on Top Gear. Really fascinating segment, a lightweight roadster is faster than a heavy chavmobile. :rolleyes:

And even if the chavmobile was somehow faster (extensive engine mods perhaps?), the Austin would be 1,000,000 times more fun to drive. And safer too; that Puegeot must have epic understeer.
 
How did that peugeot represent power? Maybe if they had ran tuner skyline gtr vs a tuned elise or some other lightweight it would have made sense.
 
A stock 350Z would eat that Austin alive and regurgitate it and eat it again just for ****s and giggles. That Peugeot does NOT represent anykind of power. They should of used a normal factory V8 or high power V6 for the comparison. What a joke.
 
BlazinXtreme
Actually air bags are quite good on the track, AirRide Technologies has an air bag set up specifically for track cars.

It wouldn't out perform a good set of coilovers for the same price, even on it's best day. You know that's true.
 
BlazinXtreme
Actually air bags are quite good on the track, AirRide Technologies has an air bag set up specifically for track cars.

I like how you spew drivel which you seem to have no concept of. Prove to me that an airbag setup is better than a shock and spring composed coilover system, on the same car, around the same track, and I'll believe you. Bridgestone had the Praxis system a few years ago, which acted a bit like an airbag system, and it was possible to adjust the firmness of the system via a controller inside the car... But it was no match for a real coilover setup, and as far as I know, there's no more progress/development being made on the system.

Bags are good for ride comfort and showing off, and that's it.
 
http://www.ridetech.com/productinfo/shockwave79.asp

There are a bunch of articles from Hot Rod and stuff that say they work, but that is what I was talking about. I know a bag set up like on a truck won't be good, but these are supposed to be good. I saw em on Horsepower TV on one of there projects.

And I didn't say they were better, you assumed I said they were better. I said they were good.
 
xcsti
How did that peugeot represent power?
it had a 3litre V6 and no doubt an air filter,exhaust and an induction kit so it would have had a fair amount of power(maybe around 220bhp or so) compared to the austin
 
Holdenhsvgtsr
it had a 3litre V6 and no doubt an air filter,exhaust and an induction kit so it would have had a fair amount of power(maybe around 220bhp or so) compared to the austin
It's the same engine that I've got. It started off with 194bhp and I don't see it having much more than that.
 
I was expecting something powerful, The Peugeot they chose for power was a silly choice in my opinion, would have been a lot better if it was standard.
 
It wasn't supposed to be a completely serious and even test.

Basically they're just saying could a car with a bigger engine, which would infact lead to more horsepower, be faster than a car that wasn't as powerful yet was significantly lighter.

The Peugeot was more based off power, while the Austin Healey was based more on lightweight obviously, and they were just seeing what would be better on a track?
 
that austin was a little monster though, did they say 120 hp? on that tiny thing? :scared: thats a lot of power for how small it was, and on the other hand the peugot had rather lacking power for all the crap it had on it.
 
It was an age race, primerily - is a modified old car faster than a modified new one? The race was between the modders of each generation.
 
Roo
It was an age race, primerily - is a modified old car faster than a modified new one? The race was between the modders of each generation.

I would disagree. There's tons of car cultures out there. I respect a bunch of them, but what was done to that Peugot is a disaster to any car lover. It's an abomination to today's generation. If he had stuck with just the engine upgrades, that car would rock.
 
There's a much better version of this kind of concept in Best Motoring International Volume 28. A touge comparison between the Honda S2000, Porsche Boxster S, Corvette C6 and Lotus Elise.
 
toyomatt84
I would disagree. There's tons of car cultures out there. I respect a bunch of them, but what was done to that Peugot is a disaster to any car lover. It's an abomination to today's generation. If he had stuck with just the engine upgrades, that car would rock.

I agree with you there - I was just trying to easily explain the reason behind the vid.

"It's NHS green!"

and

"Is that the lowest the suspension goes?"

:lol:
 
Back