PP550 RX7 Suzuka

• Thread starter redcouch1
  • 12 comments
redcouch1
Have to give credit to "Blitz Hendrix Tuning" for the idea of giving up weight for downforce. Might try going back to no downforce for less weight in the future. I developed this tune with no ABS, but I think it might be easier to late brake more consistantly with ABS at 1, and with that you may also have to adjust the brake balance.

Tires S3
Power 0
Weight 103%
Downforce 0 2

Ride Height -38 -38
Spring Rate 7 8
Damper 7 7
Toe -0.04 +0.06
Camber 1.5 1.0
Brake 4 4

Max Angle 50
ABS 1

1st 3.745
2nd 2.135
3rd 1.492
4th 1.102
5th 0.857
Final 4.080

Last edited:
I tried your tuning against my own today and it gave me some ideas to improve my own although most of this is flawed. I thought it was weird as I saw the numbers on these, but tried anyway. I was at least a second slower with these tunes, if these work better than my own, then it just goes down to personal preference.

Anyways, here's my conclusion:

Tires S3: The chassis of this car is at least almost up to par with that of the Lotus 111R and thus having mechanical grip by using S3 tires is a bit of waste. I would rather use S2 tires for both and transfer the PP for lowering the weight and upping the power a little.

Downfore: Having full 8 made the car very understeery and pushy, albeit more stable out of the corners, but this understeer made it very unbalanced, also straight line performance was lost. I found a good balance by lowering the rear wing to 4 to reduce the understeer and balance the car more properly.

Ride Height: -38 while lowers the cars point of balance, making it handle better, also leaves almost no room for the springs to operate and thus related for the cars nature to become more unstable through the corners. Would recommed around -5 for rear and -10 for front

Toe: Didn't really experiment on this, but would still recommend numbers -0,04 and +0,06 respectively.

Camber: Having this much camber on the front really dulled up and roughened the car up. 1,1 for the front and 1,3 for the back works better for me.

Max Angle: This is really too much, you need to even with my settings watch a little for how much you steer and how much you give gas, so having such high max angle only makes the matter worse. It's a point of preference this, but turning angle of 30 is plenty for smooth driving.

ABS 1 recommended for most people, unless you have a steering wheel and peddles.

Gearing: This gearing relies too much on adjusting the final gear, rather than adjusting each individually to fit each occation. But again, this is more of a preference point and depends a lot on, if you use the manual, or automatic.

How about trying my suggestions out and see what you can make out of them? Thinking I really like the car...it's charismatic like the Lotus, but unlike the Lotus, it would definately work in everyday life. It's got an incredible chassis up to par with the Lotus, or NSX and thus makes it very competent, albeit not so much that anyone could say that you won because of the car and not talent, unlike with some other cars (*coughsCliocoughs*) so it's really cool how you can keep up with the very best of them, at least for a while and even possibly win if you run well. This car really does make me feel like Takumi and his 86 Sprinter Trueno from Initial D. :D

I don't really mind if anyone uses my tunes and gets better by them.. to me racing is a show of skill rather than a show of power, or tuning ability. Even if you win, if it comes with a overwhelming car, it means nothing to me. If you win after battling it out side by side, even if it's for the second to last place.. I'm sure to have much more respect for that as that is a battle of skill, will and mentality, like it should be. So if this puts more people out that wants to battle and test skills rather than the cars they have, I'm just happy for it.

Last edited:
Interesting. First thing I have to say is I don't find any understeer at turn in at all. I mean its hard enough to keep the car from spinning under braking and lift off at turn 1. If anything its a bit oversteery. We could argue back and forth, but I'd rather just agree to disagree and see how many other people also think its understeery. Its just really confusing that anyone would find it a bit understeery.

Second, I have a wheel and pedals, set up on a chair I built, and would assume most people who play this game have chairs and wheels as well. So if you're using a controller its got to be very difficult to tune or at least use a tune set up on a wheel. This would explain your dislike for turning angle. It is preference, but for a wheel it has to be 50 because its proper technique to turn the wheel as least as possible. Now some people may like to go overhand and whatnot, but I guess it just makes sense to me use as little steering input as possible since I also happen to kart; its just natural. On a controller its more of a sensitivity thing in which case you would have to tune to preference. Should go unsaid I think.

One thing I find funny is I also thought this car would need to be set up on S2s to be able to compete with the Lotus'. But think about it, the Lotus is what, a 800kg car? The RX is a 1200kg, roughly, right? On S2s you can drop the weight to 1100, if I remember correctly, but its still no were near the 800 of the Lotus'. Plus, the Lotus' are on S3s, so its safe to say the RX is not going to match or compete with Lotus' in the turns being on less grippy tires and still weighing a huge 300kg more. I would think you're better off haveing the same tires and staying roughly 400kg heavier and focusing on the RX's positives, which is its power. And this is more of a high speed circut were being light a nimble in the turns isn't going to be a huge advantage. I'll admit it doesn't make sense to then add weight for downforce, but like I said, I plan on trying to keep the weight closer to stock and sacrificing downforce, or maybe even sacrifcing power for downforce and possible meeting inbetween to balance the exit.

Again the ride hieght confuses me. As far as I know the car is perfectly stable through the turns, more on the oversteery side for better times, but still the springs have enough room to do their job. Are you sugguesting going from -38/-38 to -10/-5? Trust me, anyone will tell you thats wrong. Thats way too high. Again, you must be using a controller which must make it hard to feel the tune of this car. The ride hieght can go that low.

I was thinking of maybe going lower on the front camber, but I think 1.1 is too low. Hell, if you look on the performance bar on the right of the screen the cornering ability goes down somewere between 1 and 1.5. But maybe you're right, I'll try it.

The brake balance does need some more attention, that with ABS. I plan on working that out a little more. The gearing also needs work. I didn't really mess with it too much to be honest.

Don't worry, I take your comments with a grain of salt. Its just weird to me how your analysis seems like youre driving a completely different car. I can't help but rebuttle almost everything you say. Thanks for the input.

Last edited:
Aaaa, the first bit would explain a lot, indeed, I am using a controller as almost everything that you point out has an affect to it. Indeed, I would believe these to be true, if you use a wheel. So I suppose it boils down to preference AND what you are using. I didn't have the understeer while turning in as much as exiting the corner thanks to the heavy rear wing, so much camber (I'd think) and the weight of the car put together with that wing, resulting it to go wide upon accelerating as opposed to sliding out of the exit smoother due better controllability when there's about same amount of grip at the back and the front. But you wouldn't have to worry about this as much with the peddles due proper throttle control that you don't have in the same way with the mere controller, so not sure, if you experience this either at all with the wheel. Although I do see your point in adding that amount of grip to the rear, if you focus on the power of the car instead of what I did and focus more on the weight, leaving the power as stock.

This could go down to the controller again as well, but for me the power of the car just kills the acceleration with wheelspin when exiting a corner and at such low speeds the rear wing doesn't really work yet properly, so instead of relying on aerodynamical grip, I simply used the gearing to deal with that propblem by setting it so that at low 2nd gear revs it won't send quite enough power for the back wheels to make them spin, unless you really floor it. Not sure, if this is an effective way to deal with it, but it's how I managed it. That added to the lower weight I managed to, it really made it VERY smooth for me to drive with a controller. I just can't help, but imagine why it would be different with a wheel, ah well. I did try adjusting the height many times and came to the conclusion that more than -5 for the front is clearly insufficient and less than -15 for rear didn't allow the car to behave as smoothly anymore. But this is with a controller, so it really may not be the same at all for you!

I really don't know how camber works, I really got no idea, it is merely a result of trial and error for me.

On the last point, I'm not worried on the least, I'm sorry, if I come around offensive, but I am very straight forward and stubborn spirit. :D I really, really, really love this car, I've never experienced anything so smooth before. It's only when I make a mistake when I get some sort of under, or oversteer out of this car with my own settings. But I'd love for you to try out my suggestions and tell what you make out of them. I really do believe that this car could possibly make a thrashing on the Lotus.. my best time ever on 550PP on Suzuka with the Lotus is 2:20 something and my best time with the RX7 so far with my own settings is 2:20,096 and it wasn't a perfect run. I have no doubt that with right settings and a skillful driver, this is a sub 20 second car.

By the way, I've only driven Kart cars twice in my life and don't own a license (Yes, I'm legal age), so you'd do well to be bit suspicious about my suggestions, I just want to hone this car down as well as possible. :D

Last edited:
Yes, I hope I didn't come off as offended either. I'm glad to get some feedback actually.

I might try the the ride hieght sugguestion, but what I'm more interested in is the weight vs. downforce. Plus the brakes need work, I know I'm at least loseing a second under braking. I'll update when I come up with some info.

Alright, I only messed with the car for about 40 minutes tonight, here's what I changed:

Power is 0
Weight is 103
Aero is 0 and 2
Tires S3s
Changed the Toe to 0.00 and +0.06
Changed Camber to 1.5
Brake is still 4 and 4 with ABS 1

It feels a little faster. Didn't notice much when I changed the camber. I think I was averaging 2'22s, maybe on the high side before, and now I'm averaging 2'21.7s with these changes. I think ill play around with the brakes a bit more tomorrow, and maybe the ride height or dampers. I've read people getting 2'19s so that the time to target.

Oh and maybe the gears could gain a few tenths too.

BTW, were do most people tune cars? Arcade?

Alright, I only messed with the car for about 40 minutes tonight, here's what I changed:

Power is 0
Weight is 103
Aero is 0 and 2
Tires S3s
Changed the Toe to 0.00 and +0.06
Changed Camber to 1.5
Brake is still 4 and 4 with ABS 1

It feels a little faster. Didn't notice much when I changed the camber. I think I was averaging 2'22s, maybe on the high side before, and now I'm averaging 2'21.7s with these changes. I think ill play around with the brakes a bit more tomorrow, and maybe the ride height or dampers. I've read people getting 2'19s so that the time to target.

Oh and maybe the gears could gain a few tenths too.

BTW, were do most people tune cars? Arcade?

Hey man,

I can get 2.19s with the tune I got on my thread for the RX7... has the same weight/power/tires as you do. I think you got some inspiration from my tune if im not mistaken from the first post. I also tune my cars for the corresponding event in the online mode. If you go to race online you can race or go into free run... Thats where you tune your cars... no other cars and you can run as many laps as you want. If you have any questions or anything feel free to ask :) 👍

Last edited:
Ive been using your tune for a while in online event, and think its good, but some work in the gear ratio is needed.

I dont understand too much of tunning (to say nothing), and i really thankfull for those people who share your tunes. o/

Sorry to keep unpdating even though I haven't perfected the tune yet, but I've made progress and I've edited the original post to get it up to date. I've got the gearing a little better and increased the dampers, seemed to make a huge improvement. I'm now consistantly running 2'20.5s, but with a little more work on the gearing and possibly a little front toe tune to help the turn in on the tight hairpin (after you go under the bridge) and highspeed left (before the last chicane before the start/finish line) maybe I'll get it running 2'19s consistantly. I am happy to say that while racing online today I managed to get a 2'19.144. So it is technically capable of 2'19s... with a little draft of course...

BTW Blitz, which car has more potential for the PP550 Suzuka online event, the NSX or Lotus?

BTW Blitz, which car has more potential for the PP550 Suzuka online event, the NSX or Lotus?

Well at Suzuka 550PP the Clios are dominant at the moment... NSX-R is also very quick on Suzuka... but a bit challenging to drive fast... I think if your looking to be competitive go for the NSX-R..

Alright, well I added some front toe and it seems to help thje turn in in some turns. Figured I'd play with the gearing, but after I tested Blitz's tune for a good half hour or so I realized it wasn't half bad. I think it may be the weight advantage on my tune, but the ghost replay shows my set up is faster in the straits. So with that said I think the gearing is good enough.

I still can only consistantly get 2'20s, racing alone(no draft). Maybe I'm not the best driver, or maybe the tune I've developed suits my driving style better, but Blitz, if your getting 2'19s with your tune you should be able to get 2'18s or even better times with my tune. Or at least if you went down to 2 or 4 on the downforce and shaved the weight, cause the car can handle just as well without the whole 8 downforce.

Tried messing around with the camber a bit and for me 1,3 for both seemed to work the best with a surprisingly big difference... however with me being with the sixaxis still, there's no guarantees how it would perform with the wheels.

But I really got no doubts at all that this car is capable of sub 20 second lap times as I just recently recorded a laptime of 2'20,177, which ain't far from my best lap ever.

Alright, well I added some front toe and it seems to help thje turn in in some turns. Figured I'd play with the gearing, but after I tested Blitz's tune for a good half hour or so I realized it wasn't half bad. I think it may be the weight advantage on my tune, but the ghost replay shows my set up is faster in the straits. So with that said I think the gearing is good enough.

I still can only consistantly get 2'20s, racing alone(no draft). Maybe I'm not the best driver, or maybe the tune I've developed suits my driving style better, but Blitz, if your getting 2'19s with your tune you should be able to get 2'18s or even better times with my tune. Or at least if you went down to 2 or 4 on the downforce and shaved the weight, cause the car can handle just as well without the whole 8 downforce.

I'll give your setup a go tonight and see how it drives to give some feedback... I never really tested if it would handle the same with less downforce... so that'll be interesting to see... 👍 You'll hear from me!

Back