Pratice Laps before starting a race/championship (offline career)

• Thread starter Tails
  • 11 comments
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hi, I don't know it this have been asked already (couldn't find it)...

Do you think it would be useful to be able to Pratice with some free-laps (driving alone) before a race?
During championships it could happen that I can't exactly remember a track, so praticing a little just before starting the race would be really useful, especially since you can't restart a single race if you screw up in a championship.

It would be enough to have a new icon next to the "Race / Tune Car / Racing options (etc.)" options, before starting the race, saying "Free Pratice". Nice and easy.

Would you find this useful for you, too?

I'm unaware of any motorsport that won't let drivers practice the course. As with the GTRs, GRID and other racers, you could see your competitors tooting around the track with you.

Reactions: FS7
Of course without some competitive, non-rubber banding revamped AI and standing starts, qualifying would make a mockery of the offline "racing" in the GT series. It has to be apackage deal or it could make offline racing even more of a joke than it is now.

Of course without some competitive, non-rubber banding revamped AI and standing starts, qualifying would make a mockery of the offline "racing" in the GT series. It has to be apackage deal or it could make offline racing even more of a joke than it is now.

I'm sorry Johnnypenso, maybe my english isn't good enough, but I think i did not understand your post.

I'm sorry Johnnypenso, maybe my english isn't good enough, but I think i did not understand your post.
No problem. Currently the AI are not on pace with cars that you choose that are close to the allowed regs and on top of that they rubber band. When you get ahead they slingshot up in speed to catch you, when you are behind, they magically slow down to let you catch up. This "works" when you have starts like GT has now, a grid spread out by as much as 30 seconds with you starting at the back.

With qualifying and standing starts it's a very tight pack and you have the ability to start on pole. If you are to have any competitive racing in this scenario, the AI has to be on pace with you from the start and be cornering and accelerating at roughly the same speed as you otherwise the illusion of actually racing isn't there. One should be able to choose a car that fits in the recommended regs, adjust your difficulty level and go racing with AI that want to pass you, corner at the same speed as you, and corner on the racing line without inappropriate braking, driving off the track etc.

So if you take the current horrible AI, and introduce qualifying and standing starts into the game without fixing the AI, then it makes a mockery of the offline racing portion of the game.

mock·er·y
ˈmäk(ə)rē/
  • an absurd misrepresentation or imitation of something.
    synonyms:travesty, charade, farce, parody
  • archaic
    ludicrously futile action.

Introduce quallifying. 3 laps. Outlap, timed lap, in lap.

AI then sets to match this pace to within half a second per lap. + or -

My 2c

No problem. Currently the AI are not on pace with cars that you choose that are close to the allowed regs and on top of that they rubber band. When you get ahead they slingshot up in speed to catch you, when you are behind, they magically slow down to let you catch up. This "works" when you have starts like GT has now, a grid spread out by as much as 30 seconds with you starting at the back.

With qualifying and standing starts it's a very tight pack and you have the ability to start on pole. If you are to have any competitive racing in this scenario, the AI has to be on pace with you from the start and be cornering and accelerating at roughly the same speed as you otherwise the illusion of actually racing isn't there. One should be able to choose a car that fits in the recommended regs, adjust your difficulty level and go racing with AI that want to pass you, corner at the same speed as you, and corner on the racing line without inappropriate braking, driving off the track etc.

So if you take the current horrible AI, and introduce qualifying and standing starts into the game without fixing the AI, then it makes a mockery of the offline racing portion of the game.

mock·er·y
ˈmäk(ə)rē/
  • an absurd misrepresentation or imitation of something.
    synonyms:travesty, charade, farce, parody
  • archaic
    ludicrously futile action.
Ah ok, thank you very much, now I got it :)
I agree with your post (even if i found the AI in A-Spec seasonal events a little more umpredictable), but maybe these are 2 separate issues.

With this thread I was asking for the possibility to add a "free pratice" option just before the start of a race, to help the user remember the track he's going to race on, or to find the right tune for that specific track even in the middle of a championship.

While I would love to have Qualify laps and a regular starting grid, maybe these features would fit better in their own thread?

I agree. Practice laps would be good. Maybe a 20 minute session with the ability to pit in a garage and tune the car similar to that of the F1 Series.

Back