Premium/Standard division dates back at least since GT4.

  • Thread starter Thread starter AlexGTV
  • 24 comments
  • 2,570 views

AlexGTV

(Banned)
Messages
1,547
Greece
Salonica
Think about it. Some cars where CLEARLY treated better in GT4. The 350Z that was featured at the back cover, more Japanese cars than not, fantasy cars, all the concepts and the relics.

The concepts and the museum pieces you couldn't race for they surpassed the capabilities of the ps2 and the frame rate would suffer with six of them simultaneously on the screen.

Racing the, previously mentioned 350Z, or the HSC, they look as something the late XBOX would render. Mirroring each and every tree and with fine detail.

So it's not something PD did with GT5, but they had to address it this time and implement as an in-game structure for the detail of PS3 made things noticeably uglier for the standard ones.

Agreed, in GT4 differences are not as significant but one who owns the game can not but notice.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Although im pretty happy with the overall aspect of all cars in the game, i have to admit that standard cars should be at least, equal premiums in the texture quality field. I would love to take my standard cars to photomode.
 
Think about it. Some cars where CLEARLY treated better in GT4. The 350Z that was featured at the back cover, more Japanese cars than not, fantasy cars, all the concepts and the relics.

The concepts and the museum pieces you couldn't race for they surpassed the capabilities of the ps2 and the frame rate would suffer with six of them simultaneously on the screen.

Racing the, previously mentioned 350Z, or the HSC, they look as something the late XBOX would render. Mirroring each and every tree and with fine detail.

So it's not something PD did with GT5, but they had to address it this time and implement as an in-game structure for the detail of PS3 made things noticeably uglier for the standard ones.

Agreed, in GT4 differences are not as significant but one who owns the game can not but notice.

As 'one' that owns the game, I didn't notice.

I'm not sure that one agrees.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
As 'one' that owns the game, I didn't notice.

I'm not sure that one agrees.

Take the 350Z on Costa di Amalfi and see for yourself.
 
For me the problem (although it's not a big problem) is the disparity between some of the standard models. The countach almost looks like a Premium in the way it's been modeled, but some of the older cars from the game's heritage are direct ports, along with their aliased wheel-arches and drawn-on doors.

I still don't see the standards as a detracting factor. 1000 premiums would have been nice, but 200 premiums + 800 standards are better than 200 premiums on their own (especially when some of the newer inclusions in the series are modeled to a very high standard)
 
forget drawn on doors, textures airdamns look horrible.
 
What I really care about is that all cars in GT5 are premium in terms of physics.

Models are not a big deal
 
What I really care about is that all cars in GT5 are premium in terms of physics.

Models are not a big deal

Especially if you use dial view :sly:
 
Especially if you use dial view :sly:

I feel that cockpit view is very unrealistic, always drive with hood. There is no hood in GT5 probably because Polyphony guys usually drive seating on the roof somehow, but bumper view works as well.
 
For me the problem (although it's not a big problem) is the disparity between some of the standard models. The countach almost looks like a Premium in the way it's been modeled, but some of the older cars from the game's heritage are direct ports, along with their aliased wheel-arches and drawn-on doors.

I still don't see the standards as a detracting factor. 1000 premiums would have been nice, but 200 premiums + 800 standards are better than 200 premiums on their own (especially when some of the newer inclusions in the series are modeled to a very high standard)

I'm just dissapointed that they didn't omit some of the really crappy looking standards. I don't see the point..They should of had 200 premiums and at a MAX 400 standard, and spent more time updating the standards to look not as good as premium, but actually ok such as the Veyron and the Countach.

Also, the quality of the premiums is somewhat varying I feel. The back of the GT-R for instance doesn't look amazing, whereas the back of a Murcielago looks absolutely stunning.
 
Worst standard for me was the first car i got, a miata.

I have about 60 standards now, of varying detail levels, but they all look adequate. Plus, they're just as fun to drive. Some even look GOOD as has been said.

The Cobra R looks good to me, the R32 skyline too. There's quite a few that really look good, but my PS is off right now so i can't list them.
 
The worst thing about damage to Skylines, is the stupid warping of the rear-end. That's the worst thing about damage in GT5.
 
The worst thing about damage to Skylines, is the stupid warping of the rear-end. That's the worst thing about damage in GT5.

Isn't damage always supposed to result in a distortion/warping? That's thing about damage isn't it? If it looked better after being bashed around you'd be right to be asking questions.
 
The Ford GT in GT4 always looked better to me than all the others. Still, I don't know that it was intentional. Maybe they were just able to use the model they made for the intro.
 
The better looking newer standards come from gtpsp i believe. Countage, veyron etc. Mini cooper s 2002 is the worst one i've seen the numberplate is horribly pixelated.
 
The 2000 Cobra R was Butchered. GT4 it had so much detail it was damn sexy.

I looked at GT4 just for fun and yea... GT5 looks like a GT1 rendering of the car.
 
Only this time the differences were magnified. But the practise was already there.
 
If this descends into another "This car is a bad Standard" thread, then it's been discussed countless times.

And the Suzuki Alto Works is the worst. It is an actual port from GT3 and looks worse because the quality of it's surroundings magnify it's deficiencies.
 
What I really care about is that all cars in GT5 are premium in terms of physics.

Models are not a big deal

What I still wonder is: Would all the people that shrug off the crudity of the Standard models be so forgiving of them if every single car in GT5 was Premium and instead it was FM3 that had hundreds of cars modeled and textured much like the Standard models? I doubt it. We'd never hear the end of how terrible FM3's Standard models look.

The same goes for the crude, outdated tracks, too. If FM3 and GT5 swapped Laguna Seca, for example, we'd constantly hear about how much worse it looks in FM3, but when it's GT5 that has the primitive maps, it's fine.

This... is what we call bias.
 
...another day another winge-thread
 
It's a bit misleading to say that the difference between Standard models (or previous game content) is the same as the difference between Standard and Premium as the way they are modelled (and the extra features Premium cars therefor have got) are miles apart.

Having said that, it isn't just apparant in Standard cars but the level of detail on Premium cars differs too, making it seem as if they were modelled by a different group of people or at a different time during development.
 
Having said that, it isn't just apparant in Standard cars but the level of detail on Premium cars differs too, making it seem as if they were modelled by a different group of people or at a different time during development.

I've noticed that too, it seems to be mainly the GT5:P cars that are less detailed. The ones created freshly for GT5 are more detailed. I don't mind the less detailed premiums though, they're still much better than the standards.
 
I've noticed that too, it seems to be mainly the GT5:P cars that are less detailed. The ones created freshly for GT5 are more detailed. I don't mind the less detailed premiums though, they're still much better than the standards.

It seems some Prologue cars are scaled down strangely enough (mostly the interiors though) but it is apparant in GT5 "exclusive" models too, the Premium Corvette Z04 and the BMW M5 (especially the interior) come to mind for example.
 
Back