Prepping for 24Hr Race

• Thread starter Eks
  • 19 comments

Eks

United States
United States
Brucifxr
Before I begin, has anyone actually tried to complete the 24Hrs LeMans Sarthe I without it requiring several days of in and out racing?
In other words, has anyone done the entire 24Hrs consecutively without taking breaks? (Excluding bathroom breaks, eating, etc.)

I dug my fat ol' PS2 out the closet yesterday and after popping in GT4, I go to the Endurance Races and see that all but the 3 24Hr events have been completed.
I know what must be done!
I am definantly going to complete the Le Sarthe I 24hr Race, A-Spec, all in one session! (Again excluding the above said things)

I slept about 13 hours, ate a rather large breakfast, and I have plenty of coffee and soda, all serving to keep me awake.

I plan on using my 1031hp Minolta 88CV. I hear its one of the best.

I hope I can start today @ 12PM (Its already 7:30am)

Wish me luck, my body and Ps2 are gonna have a loong run today :)

Good luck. you do know they can be done by bspec though right? Whereas bspec can't in GT5

Don't know anyone who has done it personally, but I read a mag review 2 months ago by someone who did the 24hr le mans on gt5 in one straight.

His prep wasnt good though. He didnt realise he hadn't unlocked it and had to grind the night before just to unlock it. He did the whole thing but was going mental by the end.
:)

Thanks and yes I know of BSpec but the experience will be worth it considering I havent played in years..

And I do hope my prep was good to keep me actively going for 20hrs..the last 4 will be determination!! :D

Eks
Thanks and yes I know of BSpec but the experience will be worth it considering I havent played in years..

And I do hope my prep was good to keep me actively going for 20hrs..the last 4 will be determination!! :D

You can do it!!
The last four hours - REDBULL!

:)

I would use a slower car, if you actually have to battle with the other cars then it won't be so boring.

Using a weighted-down 787B and super-slicks at 180 A-spec points, I was able to lap the 2nd-place Sauber either 3 or 4 times. It really wasn't a challenge. Using that same car with dirty oil, 170kg ballast placed -30 (toward the nose to help counter some of the understeer during hard braking) and R1/1 tires will net you an easy 200 points. Also, you can switch to R3/2 tires at the first pit stop, and you SHOULD still be able to pull 10 laps per set of tires and tank of fuel. If not, 9 laps is still enough to put you in the lead if you can pull less than 3:25 consistently (excluding your in- and out-laps).

EDIT: actually as long as you're hitting below 3:30 on your non-pit laps, you should be able to snatch victory from the Sauber.

Whatever you do, make sure there are no turtles in the lineup like the C5.R or the Oreca Viper. They will kill your points.

EDIT, again: Some notes I almost forgot from my last full A-spec run of this race:
1) on the Indianapolis section, if I drafted anyone, the undulations in the road would throw off the car's balance such that any braking would result in a spin-out. Avoid drafting on the Indianapolis straight, ESPECIALLY on the approach to the Indianapolis corner.

2) On approach to Virage Porsche (first right-hand Porsche curve) be sure to brake as straight as possible. There are undulations in the road surface which will destabilize the car and spin you out if you're not careful.

You may not need to observe these precautions early in the race, but once you hit the ~8 hour mark, your chassis will wear out and the car will become far less "direct" in its response. It will have the tendency to wander across the road on straights, be difficult to trail-brake, and be less consistent through corners. If you choose to utilize the busted 787B, be sure NOT to refresh the chassis so that your car will be consistent start to finish rather than having the sudden chassis failure a third of the way through.

Last edited:
Invite a friend or two, you won't do it by your self. Look at real 24h race, did any race team use only 1 race driver or at least two? There is a reason for that.

No man can do 24h race straight all by him self.

Just because we CAN do a thing does not infer that we MUST. Enduro teams usually comprise multiple drivers, and Le Mans average is often 3.

Just because we CAN do a thing does not infer that we MUST. Enduro teams usually comprise multiple drivers, and Le Mans average is often 3.
Nobody said "MUST" except you. When you want to though, and clearly it's possible for most people (guy was not an athlete, just a guy who sits at a desk all day), why not?

I think you will also find, driving a real enduro car. Much more physical than a computer game.
Huge difference.

Hello again! Sorry for not keeping updated. :/ My power was out for a few days.

Thanks for the encouragement Skuh..and that list of tips Ignignoc N Err..

But now for the bad news.. :(
I was still wide awake and I think it was around the 14-16th hour...but then..
power goes out. I was confused as to why it was out since the worst of "Superstorm Sandy" had passed and we were then just getting the few storms left and it turns out that the previous winds must have weakened my neighbors tree because I could see it had fallen across the street. It took the crews a while to fix everything but my power came back on yesterday.

This sucks because now I cannot put myself in the mood to try again..Im so dissapointed..
Sorry guys :S

The power will still be going on and off, it takes time to fix everything.

Hopefully you'll get the spirit to try it again in the future. 👍

That is teh suk. It's SO hard to get back into it when you've dropped that kind of time investment and walk away with nothing. I'd suggest taking a short break, whether from Enduro racing, or from GT4 altogether, then come back to it when you're fresh and less ultra-ticked about the power failure.

When you DO go for it, though, you should keep us all posted. I joined the ranks of all-A-Spec enduros a few years ago with the 'Ring 24hr, and it was very satisfying. I hope you get to experience that feeling also.

Yeah that sucks man. Had it done to me on lesser enduro's and I couldn't face them again. Can't imagine it after 16 hours :s

I am having problems. (I think overheating) I played GT4 for few hours to buy the 787 that Ignignoc recommended. Yep .I was facing the Lemans again :embarrassed:.
So..here I am not 4 minutes in yet then PS2 freezes. I didnt feel air from the back so a broken fan?

God..everything lately has gotten in my way of doing this race -_-

At least your disc still reads... >_____>

I found out the other night that my disc has some sort of pitting around the interior, so it won't boot past the warning screen.

Eks
I am having problems. (I think overheating) I played GT4 for few hours to buy the 787 that Ignignoc recommended. Yep .I was facing the Lemans again :embarrassed:.
So..here I am not 4 minutes in yet then PS2 freezes. I didnt feel air from the back so a broken fan?

God..everything lately has gotten in my way of doing this race -_-

What I remember about those fat PS2 models,is that they had a pretty noisy fan because of built-in power supply.So booting it up without a disc and listening might give an answer to that one...I assume that you have clean it out of dust?Because you wrote that you dug it up from the closet.Those old PS2 models had occasional freezing problem..Slim models have those too,but less often.

At least your disc still reads... >_____>

I found out the other night that my disc has some sort of pitting around the interior, so it won't boot past the warning screen.

I have experienced same type of problem with my latest slim model.For me it had something to do with the problem that the disc was not one of those platinum versions.They were those old discs which seem to be fatter then the new platinums.Other one has like little dots on the places where the lens goes more often,other had circular areas..Which look like those rings would have come as result of lens heating.

I have a slim scph-90004 model and it has a built-in power supply unit too.The spinning of the fan is so loud that it disturbs.Sometimes it goes wild after five minutes of playing.Sometimes it takes an hour or two.I have used vacuum cleaner now and then...But still it seems to go wild.I would too like to drive 24h endurance but I don´t know if my PS2 can handle it..

If your A-specing any circurt de la scarth race,the best way to slow down on the super long strait is to ease out of the throttle and don't break wntill you try breaking at the ent of the strait when the front of your car is at the riple strip before the sharp right hander.hope this helps good luck:):)

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back