(Preview) Blue Onion Band - Songs not on CD yet.Music 

  • Thread starter Thread starter Pako
  • 14 comments
  • 1,296 views

Pako

Staff Emeritus
Messages
16,472
United States
NW Montana
Messages
GTP-Pako
Messages
GTP Pako
All of these songs are hosted on Myspace that you can listen to for free.

The first two songs are from our "Live At The Garden" CD recorded in 2006 I believe while the rest of the songs were recorded in the studio with our old drummer and are currently re-doing these songs, but I wanted some feedback on some of the tunes.

You can listen to them here.

As we finish and polish the new tracks that we recorded, I'll be sure to share more music with you guys. :)

:cheers:
 
Hmm link doesn't seem to work, I just get re-directed to the main Myspace music page.
 
Dang, I thought it was a public playlist for ALL to see. ERRrrrr.....

Edited: Huh, I'm not logged in and it pulls up just fine. I'm Running IE7 on a XP pro machine.

Here's a direct link to the front page that has the player and playlist there. I was trying to stay away from that as I'm not trying to advertise the band, but rather provide links to the songs only.

So if the original playlist link does not work for you, click here.
 
Last edited:
Some of this is going to sound like complaining and some like brown nosing. Regardless, all views are honest. Don't hate me.

Also, keep in mind that this is coming from someone who has friends that had a blues band that he mixed for, so he thinks he knows what he's talking about.

He's wrong. Here goes.

Terminal - I love the base line, but the tone of the guitar doesn't seem to "fit" the song very well, but oddly enough, the solo did. Possibly I'm just not a fan of that particular riff?

Bone Bottom - Much better start to the guitar work! Grabs you nice and quick. Classic blues walk. Again, great guitar solo, perfectly accented by the drum and bass (D&B). A ton of wammy bar at the end! 👍

Gracie - Certainly a different start from the other two. Has a bit of an Eric Johnson or Jeff Healey feel to it, which is certainly not a bad thing. Very cool harmonics about two-thirds of the way through. D&B are a bit understated on this one. Ending just kind of creaps up and... ends.

Too Rolling Stoned - Wah-wah pedals rock. Plain and simple. Love the high-hat work. Organ is a new addition, too, isn't it? I was listening to the others pretty close but I don't remember hearing it. Lyrics are a bit Zepplinish, again, not a bad thing. Clapping at the end is definitelynew!

John the Revelator - Great mixture of everything - lyrics, guitar, bass and drums. Nice to hear the D&B are a bit more pronounced than the last couple of tracks. Solo is nice and clean, a bit less distortion than most others. Again, love the wah. :D Favorite song so far.

Borrowed Time - Bass is really quiet on this one. Hate to say it, but this one is my least favorite of the bunch, made more apparent when it's following the one I like the most. I know not all songs can be upbeat - you need a mixture - but apparently I'm in a "up" song mood tonight. Edit: ending guitar made me like it a bit more, but not enough to move it out of last place.

The Borderline - The beloved uptempo wah is back. Strong SRV - Voodoo Chile feel to the solo. Like Borrowed Time, bass is a bit too soft. I'm starting to wonder if it's my speakers...

All-in-all, great job! Obviously everyone know the songs and changes well, evidenced by how tight the songs are. I'm eagerly awaiting more!

Hope that's what you were looking for when you said feedback! :D
 
That's exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for. These songs were recorded pre-studio session that we are working on now but most will be included. I think we have 32 songs total and imagine we will have two different CD's out of it. Onion Grooves, and The Softer Side of an Onion perhaps. I agree that a CD should have a certain feel to it and mixing the slower tunes with the more energetic tunes seems counter productive if we have enough music to segregate the two.

I appreciate your feedback and time you spent listening!

I'll see if our studio mixes can raise the bar a bit from these samples. :)
 
Excellent new songs, Pako!

Gracie - is there a way to modulate flange on the fly? The beginning had a little too much for me, but the way your guitarist used it after 3 minutes was great. It gets a little heavy after 4 minutes too. Maybe you guys can re-cut it to give him a flange-crescendo or something instead of the constant heavy flange.

Too Rolling Stoned - Another great song. Maybe it's just myspace but, Pako, I hope your bass is kicking people in the chest for this song. Needs a hint more impact/attack or whatever for some more percussion. I'm pretty sure it's myspace though because the drums don't have that nice impact either. I love the Organ and its bridges.

Nothing to say about Borrowed Time. Fits the mood it sets. 👍

The Borderline needs more impact too. It's probably the coolest guitar track of the playlist though.

Overall very good, but it needs polish.

edit: Oh, I just read that these were studio mixes. That explains everything then.
 
Any new releases or remasters to listen to, Pako?
 
Thanks Omnis for the listen. I think that is a really good idea on Gracie. I totally get what you mean by lack of punch. I hope the studio mixes will sound a lot more polished.

@TB,

Not yet. I'm still at 14 songs that have been recorded. Drums and Bass are done, but I need Ken to redo the guitar and vocals as they are just "scratch" tracks at this time. Hopefully soon. I had some hardware issues in the studio that are now fixed, so now we just need to find the time to get it done. I'll post up some post mix samples once I get some to get some feedback for sure!
 
Well, things are going slow. Everyone's busy and such, but here's a little taste from a live gig that a fan recorded. Not one of my favorite versions, but the audio came out decent for the camera mic.



Here's a little sample of our new drummer messing with his new HD camera:
 
So, Pako, are you being chill for a reason? Afraid you'll rip your bass in half if you play any more enthusiastically? :D
 
:lol: I know, lame huh? Not a big stage mover. There are tunes that I really get into that I can't help but to move around, this song, however is not one of them. Besides, who want's to see me jumping around the stage? :D
 
I forgot all about this. I found this two weeks ago but was too tired to give a proper listen.

Love the tracks, but it sounds like they could use some 'sonic' help here and there. Particularly, the drums.

Great music, though Pako. And yes, you looked a little 'stiff' in your live performance, but we all can't be drunk idiots on stage. :lol:
 
Work blocks Myspace and I keep forgetting to listen when I get home. I do like the stuff in the video though.


I was curious though, when you all get finished recording have you contemplated using the Rock Band Network to promote and sell your stuff?

In case you have no clue what I am talking about it is a new thing Harmonix/MTV are doing with Rock Band that will allow independent artists to get their songs incorporated into the game and then sold as DLC, splitting profits with Harmonix/MTV.

Here's the site: http://creators.rockband.com/


I only ask because two things came to my mind watching that video. First, "God, those drums would be awesome in Rock Band," and then, "Pako acts just like I do when I play bass in Rock Band." Side note: Bass is my favorite "instrument" in Rock Band.
 
Man, that drummer's got some serious skills, absolutely brilliant double-pedal work 👍

Love the gig there Pako, some nice jazz you guys got going on, and then the swiftly change to blues with the solos in between by the guitar guy, nice stuff! Hey, are you playing your custom bass there? If so, I really like its sound! 👍 I can't help but to think a saxophone would fit in well during that jazzy gig when the guitar is not performing a solo. You guys ever thought about something similar?

Great stuff! 👍
 
Pako

Great stuff. I especially like the song "To Rolling Stoned" , awesome 👍.You guys carry that Stevie Ray Vaughn sound with the guitar (nothing wrong with that !!!),the keyboards remind me of the group Rainbow - Tony Cary,great job there,and your drummer has a great sounding routine.Your sound has a bluesy / rock feel to it which just catches your ear. You guys are good. If you ever do cut a CD,I'll be in line to buy one :D.

Once again,great stuff there Pako.👍
 
Back