Price Drop in Japan 5 Days After Its Debut

United States
United States
In less than 5 days, the GT Sport Disc price dropped from ¥6000JPY at launch to ¥5000JPY. Meanwhile, a few people were able to grab it for ¥4000JPY from Amazon.jp. So for people still holding off, a price drop could be imminent.

Either Google is wrong or Sony/PD are taking the 🤬 with the UK prices then, ¥6000 equates to £40 but the game basically everywhere is more like £50 or more. Maybe I'll hold off until black Friday its only a month away. Seeing as I got Fallout 4 cheap on black Friday not long after release.

And besides, what point is this making? Aren't retailers in Japan usually pretty trigger happy with discounts after release?

In less than 5 days, the GT Sport Disc price dropped from ¥6000JPY at launch to ¥5000JPY. Meanwhile, a few people were able to grab it for ¥4000JPY from Amazon.jp. So for people still holding off, a price drop could be imminent.
Highly doubt it after the latest news.

Either Google is wrong or Sony/PD are taking the 🤬 with the UK prices then, ¥6000 equates to £40 but the game basically everywhere is more like £50 or more. Maybe I'll hold off until black Friday its only a month away. Seeing as I got Fallout 4 cheap on black Friday not long after release.
Get yourself to a supermarket. You'll pay less than £50.

And besides, what point is this making? Aren't retailers in Japan usually pretty trigger happy with discounts after release?

Ohh yahh especially when games are underwhelming and they are desperate to move stock quick.

In Japan games are notoriously front loaded. Retailers know well what a game will sale after its debut numbers, so need be they drop prices hard and move inventory while it still at least profitable.

It's the UK, we are ripped off with everything. It's an even bigger joke that it's also top of the UK sales charts at that price, we really will buy anything!

I think the Japanese fans are less easily pleased and they are having a harder time shifting it over there.

I'll probably just get it cheap at Argos next month, The beta and open beta showed me its not worth full retail price.
That's fair enough. 👍

I don't mind paying the price I paid as I feel it's still worth it! Overall, I'm really happy with the product. Sure, there's always room for improvement with any game and I know it's not perfect by any means. I've bought driving games before, for the same price but with lesser content (Dirt Rally for example). And not once have I felt that I've been hard done by.

Market value of currency, local taxation rates, distributor/retailer costs vs. margins etc. are not under the control of Sony or PD. All they can do is ask for retailers to sell it at a recommended retail price.

Last edited:
I think the Japanese fans are less easily pleased and they are having a harder time shifting it over there.
On the contrary, Japanese gamers are actually easy to sell to - when something hits their spot, that is. The demographic of gamers is quite different from Europe, and the US, and racing games in particular aren’t exactly their thing.
While I can live with your conclusion, I don’t think the premise is correct. GTS surely is having a hard time to sell well there. But it’s a matter of different interests, not because Japanese customers are tougher to sell to.

I don't mind paying the price I paid as I feel it's still worth it! Overall, I'm really happy with the product. Sure, there's always room for improvement with any game and I know it's not perfect by any means. I've bought driving games before, for the same price but with lesser content (Dirt Rally for example). And not once have I felt that I've been hard done by.
It's like you took these words right out of my head. Completely agree with you here. 👍

On the contrary, Japanese gamers are actually easy to sell to - when something hits their spot, that is. The demographic of gamers is quite different from Europe, and the US, and racing games in particular aren’t exactly their thing.
While I can live with your conclusion, I don’t think the premise is correct. GTS surely is having a hard time to sell well there. But it’s a matter of different interests, not because Japanese customers are tougher to sell to.

I'm thinking that GT Sport hasn't hit their spot. Maybe they love their GT the traditional way and are less open to the new approach the series has taken. I was looking at it from the point that they are like 'GT Connoisseurs', rather than being tougher as a nation to sell to in general. Racing games may well not be their thing but GT is a homegrown thing that they have always taken to.

Latest Posts

Back