Price of original GT1

• Thread starter p7000lude
  • 13 comments
Everyone random question, but do you know how much the first GT game cost at launch (at your basic video game store in the mall), was it 49.99 or 59.99? Also, does anyone know how much Sony and third party memory cards were around the time GT game out (may of 1998). I am thinking the third party ones were 9.99 and the sony ones 19.99, but was not sure. Thanks

I paid 159,95 DM for the imported japanese Version in 97/98 at my local, very little game-store called "level 1" in Herford/NRW and have been the second one in my whole gaming-crew to own that game..

Sony-Memorycards for 19,95 DM at that time, I think..But I don`t actually know any more..

Memory cars I think were $19.99 and $10 for the non sony ones. but I could be wrong and thinking of the ps2 ones.

I wouldn't have been able to afford that at 7 years old. :lol:

I managed to get my hands on an original, sealed copy of GT1 in December 2011 and still haven't opened it. That cost me £50-something. They must be quite rare.

I recall buying a gray Sony Memory Card for $20, because I don't remember a bunch of cheaper knock-offs appearing until later.

I bought GT1 used, but I'm going to guess $40 new; which seemed to be the going rate for most new releases with any fanfare. I'd picked up F1 for that price, which was a new US-release title.

Yukon
I wouldn't have been able to afford that at 7 years old. :lol:

I managed to get my hands on an original, sealed copy of GT1 in December 2011 and still haven't opened it. That cost me £50-something. They must be quite rare.

Sealed would be pretty rare (there's one on eBay for £20 at the moment), but I've seen plenty of copies in really good condition in charity shops and Cash Converters for 99p

I recall paying $59.99Cdn. I bought a lot of third-party memory cards about $10, more-or-less. But I sort of wish I hadn't bought them. I don't trust their reliability and do worry they can cause hardware damage. Sony cards were nearly always $19.99.

Eventually I bought a $29.99Cdn Greatest Hits version of the game. Or maybe $19.99. And later a used version confirmed as version 1.0.

The other day I found my 24-in-1 memory cards, and they still worked and seemed to contain valid data. (One had 24 game saves of GT1 to allow access to the first 240 days of Used Car stock.

I just found my receipt. I bought it at Target on 5/18/98 six days after the NA release for $39.99. I think I was just rummaging through the games and saw it and took a chance. The replays were jaw dropping and the rest is history :)

I got my game used.. and for the longest time as a kid since it came in a 2 part case i thought i got jipped. I was like where is this other CD! I remember the price though was 35$ plus tax if not 35-40$ because i remember being at the mall and my dad like this thing used yet is still 40$ this n that. I was hooked ever since i got my playstation interactive cd vol 7 or whatever that came with it, i ended up playing gran turismo like 20 times in a row even though it was demo.

Here in the UK I believe the rents paid circa £40 for my GT1 copy. The official Memory cards were like £20. The unofficial memory cards were very unreliable if I remember correctly, data going awol and files getting corrupted! Disappearing FF7 saves was not fun...

The replays were jaw dropping and the rest is history :)

I remember how amazing those replays were back when the PS1 was still top technology. I still find it amazing that the game can somehow figure out where my car is at all times, and display this after the race is over.

Back