Prices of Consoles May go up.

• Thread starter TJ13
  • 8 comments

Will you still buy Next-Gen if it costs more?

• Yes

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Maybe

Votes: 7 46.7%

• Total voters

TJ13

Dark Theme. Thank you.
Premium
United States
Minnesota
TJ136
So now with news hitting that "Trump" will impose a 25% import tax on gaming consoles because they are manufactured in China said to increase in "next-Gen" consoles. (Analyst said an increase of 10% is likely added to the consumer)

Edit
(Quick Math)

If PS5/XB2 cost 599.99 (USD)
Max sales tax of 9.47% in the US (56.81 usd)
Equals to 656.81 USD
10% "Import tax" on consumers (65.68 usd)
Equals to 722.49 usd for "next-gen" consoles. (Now this is max price in the US)

What do you think on this?

https://www.nintendoenthusiast.com/...sals-include-a-25-tax-on-video-game-consoles/
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/trump-administration-25-percent-tariff-200300879.html
https://www.polygon.com/2019/5/17/18628486/trump-trade-tariff-china-tabletop-games-rpgs-cards-dice

Last edited:
Production would be shuffled around if they were actually ready to release and the tariff was in effect. Production costs would rise somewhat (though early on in a system's life it is usually component costs that is the main portion of the price, so Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo may just eat the cost themselves), but game consoles have been built in countries other than China before; including even this console generation.

Depending on how long the tariffs are in place, if it looks like it's going to go on a while they would likely shift final assembly to somewhere else.

I don't think the prices will affect Europe but if they do, and the new consoles are worth it, I would still buy one.

A PS4 pro will cost you well over $500 here, I will not be surprised to see that number hit 700 or 800 for the next gen consoles. Voted maybe, I'm still not sure if I will get the next Playstation or just splurge on a good PC setup instead. I like the convenience of consoles but I haven't really been happy with my console experience with the current gen.

Last edited:
I've had my ps4 pro for just over a year now and I don't really put much time in on it. When I have time to game, I generally spend it playing the games I have on PC. The games I like tend to require a keyboard and mouse over a controller, which is awkward most places but a desk. Where I will eventually find value, is once we are moved and I can put together my racing rig. I'll be getting one of the adapters to get the G27 hooked up.
And this is where I get back on topic. For me, getting the next, next gen depends greatly on its prowess as a gaming rig, and not simply a console. Its functionality with peripherals, how the GUI is set up. Cross platform compatibility is so obvious, I wish Sony would lighten up on that.
At this point though, I just dont know that a console is the right direction for me.

Last edited:
I prefer buying consoles during the middle of their cycle (approx. 3 years). Most of the time during a price decrease or release of an updated model. That way I can decide much better if its worth the price and importantly I have much more choice in games. Also I have many games I still need to finish on the previous gen.

Back