Probably the most underrated game in PS3's history?

• Thread starter Golfman
  • 48 comments
On a final note, in the unlikely event that Codemasters don't decide to do a yearly F1 game, and F1 2010 remains their only attempt at the sport, do you think it will have the same cult status as F1:CE? I don't think so.

There is a line you cross where simulation becomes frustrating and not fun at all. Let us consider that the reason we play games is the distraction from reality, and the ability to immerse yourself in the experience. If you made it as difficult as real life, then maybe 10% of us would be able to play it.
Its as realistic as it needs to be, its difficult, but not so much that you actually have to be an F1 driver to play it. Or are you saying a game can only be good if we cannot play it? :P

Its amusing too, because I hear over on the Codemasters forums that people complain F1:CE is too hard and therefore not realistic, this leads into the other problem that is how do you make a realistic simulation if you cannot make use of the many sensations the real thing has? You cannot feel the car around you when you play the game, so its impossible to re-create the physics without missing a key component that allows the real drivers to drive the real cars. So demanding 100% real physics its not sensible for a video game, as it would be too difficult to control with the limited sensory feedback you get.

So, I'd argue that F1:CE is the most realistic experience you can have as far as current console games and technology are concerned. It cannot be taken any further without becoming too difficult to play. The only things that can be improved are feedback to do with force feedback on the steering wheel, etc, but these things still don't give enough to mean a big change in the physics from how they are now.

To answer the OP question, no I don't think its the most under-rated game ever because:
1. Not everyone enjoys driving games.
2. Not everyone enjoys F1 or F1 games.
3. F1:CE is sold at quite a price at the moment, even pre-owned, which shows how valued it is. Clearly it is highly rated.
5 euro's, second owner.

I have to say I had no real interest in F1 racing before getting F1CE. The reason I think it is a great game is because it has very good graphics, good (not perfect) AI, good (not perfect) physics, a good level of difficulty requiring serious commitment to master, good wheel support/FFB (especially the "bumpy surface" effect), & a great variety of challenging tracks.

Offline, F1CE is still my go-to racing game, while GT5P has been gathering dust for many, many months. Regardless of anything else, I find F1CE a first-rate gaming experience - the actual racing offers the "variety". I suspect it was just "too hard" to get into for the average (non-race enthusiast) gamer. The fact that the GT is so generally popular is largely due to its established reputation & its cutting edge graphics IMO. Of course, when you spend the amount of time & resources on a game that GT5 has received, you should expect it to be a superior title.

Pretty good summation, I'd say. I honestly rate this game slightly higher than F1 2010. The career mode has more depth, the engine sounds are epic, and like you said it's just a first rate gaming experience. I'm getting F1 2011 tomorrow, but F1 CE is a game that I will always keep as an F1 fan.

Most underrated game ever? It's definitely high up the list, that's for sure.

Pretty good summation, I'd say. I honestly rate this game slightly higher than F1 2010. The career mode has more depth, the engine sounds are epic, and like you said it's just a first rate gaming experience. I'm getting F1 2011 tomorrow, but F1 CE is a game that I will always keep as an F1 fan.

Most underrated game ever? It's definitely high up the list, that's for sure.

The engine sounds were great, but that's all there is to it. The handling was terrible. I don't see how anyone can say that F1CE is better, or even close to Codemasters' efforts. F1CE might be pretty to look at, but underneath the graphics and engine noises, was a very shallow arcade game. And don't get me started on that pitstop minigame.

i've got it, it's magnificent. Kicks the crap out of f1 2010, not sure about 2011, any opinions?

It actually does not. I know it's a matter of opinion, but if you want shallow on rails arcade driving games, then stick to F1:CE. On the other hand, if you want a good representation of modern F1, but F1 2011. And if you want to buy the best F1 game of all time, then look up "Grand Prix Legends".

My opinion is based on the fact that I simply sent back my copy of F1 2011 unopened for a refund. You get the idea.

Then in that case, your opinion is completely and utterly invalid.

i've got it, it's magnificent. Kicks the crap out of f1 2010, not sure about 2011, any opinions?

I also think that it kicks the crap out of F1 2010 (With those arcade Grid tweeked physics)

After getting F1 2010 and playing for 1 month and a half I went back to F1 CE.

Im still thinking of trying out F1 2011 though... because the career mode in F1 2010 was very good IMO better than F1 CE

I absolutely love F1CE. Whether the physics are realistic or not was never an issue, I just loved the career mode.

Set the game on Hard and you will be challenged! To be fast you need to push and being on the limit in this game pays if you get it wrong. You can easily be damaged, caught up in incidents.

One of my best ever races on a console has been on F1CE. I was at Monaco doing half distance race in career mode (on hardest setting). I started second and was just keeping up with Schumacher all race. First pitstops came around and I just managed to jump him pitting one lap after him. He was on my arse the whole time, pressure stuff but I managed to keep the car off the walls! Second round of pitstops Schumacher jumped me but I was right on his tail and made a dive to overtake him. I then managed to keep the lead until the finish.

Cannot say how much I love this game!! Definitely better than 2010 but 2011 is pretty good.

i miss this game... i did not enjoy 2010 or 11 as much as this, even combined i still prefer this!
bring back Studio Liverpool! i spent so much time on the online of this game and it's really annoying they shut the servers

I love this game. I went through my collection of f1 games (started at formula one '95 on psone) and F1 CE is tied with formula one '97 as the best F1 game ever.

Graphicaly it is amazing. Wether the physics are realistic or not, it gives you a real sense of driving a F1 car. The immersion is fenomenal. Sound is great to, something the older games where really struggling with.

My list of favorite F1 titels:

1 Formula one '97 (psone)
2 Formula One Championship Edition (ps3)
3 Formula One (psone)
4 Formula One 2001 (ps2)
5 F1 2000 (psone)
6 Formula One 2004 (Ps2)
7 Formula One '99 (ps One)
8 F1 2010
9 Formula One '98 (psone)
10 Formula one 2000 (psone)

I love this game. I went through my collection of f1 games (started at formula one '95 on psone) and F1 CE is tied with formula one '97 as the best F1 game ever.

Graphicaly it is amazing. Wether the physics are realistic or not, it gives you a real sense of driving a F1 car. The immersion is fenomenal. Sound is great to, something the older games where really struggling with.

My list of favorite F1 titels:

1 Formula one '97 (psone)
2 Formula One Championship Edition (ps3)
3 Formula One (psone)
4 Formula One 2001 (ps2)
5 F1 2000 (psone)
6 Formula One 2004 (Ps2)
7 Formula One '99 (ps One)
8 F1 2010
9 Formula One '98 (psone)
10 Formula one 2000 (psone)

So how do you like Codemasters games in comparison? Didn't try or outside of top ten? :sly:

This game is a real gem. In terms of graphical quality, AI, and the package as a whole, it stands above every other racing game on the PS3. But magazine reviewers hated it. Luckily, no one believed them and have enjoyed this game, as it still offers the most realistic, tense racing on the system, four years after it's release. The new F1 game has a lot to live up to. No offence to Codemasters, but Studio Liverpool have been making quality F1 games on Playstation for years, and this should have continued.

And 3 years later nothing has changed. F1 CE still kick F1 2010 2011 2012 butt all day and night. They can't bloody compete. Arrived today after I finally picked up a week ago.

Frame rate and graphics are so awesome, AI on hard is challanging, and the game make you pay your mistakes. Turn off damage and you'll see. If you miss breaking point and crash into someone else you'll loose front wing or front wheel and retire from the race. There is no replay/time machine Codemasters style. This increase immersion a lot if you make a mistake the RACE IS OVER. Great feeling! AI is not dumb like GT5.

Turned off feedback because it was too spiky. With the option "feedback: no" there's still feedback but it's progressive no spiky. With my DFGT = instant love!!!

Damn me what I was missing.

Best racing game on PS3 period.

Much respect Studio Liverpool.

Back