Problem with GT4 and GS2 Ver 4

• Thread starter houses200
  • 18 comments
Got a gameshark 2 ver 4 and I am still on a PS2 modded. I loaded the codes for GT4 manually and this was saved on the memory card. I got the latest codes from Gameshark for the v4.

I can selecte the game fine and it will even load GT4 as well till it gets to the point where it has to read the saved data on the memory card and then it hangs.

Was wondering if anyone else has encountered the same problem?

No, only when I put like 10 codes at once. Try using just 3 codes and tell me if it still hangs.

Hi there, I tried as you said, with 3 codes, it hung, even with just one code it hangs. I know that the codebreaker code must always be on, so I have that plus one more code on, still hangs.

Hi Vandenal, tried a few different master codes, and there was one that worked with the cash code, but when the game started, nothing happened. Still the same cash. I have tried using it with a different code and all other codes I try even though they are single codes, hang the start up process. Can you shed light on the matter or suggest different codes for me? Thank you in advance. I got the V4 codes from the GS site.

Hi Vandenal, tried a few different master codes, and there was one that worked with the cash code, but when the game started, nothing happened. Still the same cash. I have tried using it with a different code and all other codes I try even though they are single codes, hang the start up process. Can you shed light on the matter or suggest different codes for me? Thank you in advance. I got the V4 codes from the GS site.

Try the codes listed on my GS code thread (link below), the first codes listed are for v3 & v4 of the Gameshark 2, I have a v4 GS too, and these codes work fine for me, as well as the codes listed on the Gameshark.com site. As for the mastercode, it consists of the 16 lines of code, and I have only locked up a few times when using the "no crash penalty" code, and while hybridding trying to install incompatible parts.

If you are still having lock up issues with the codes I have listed (link below), your problem maybe with the modding of the PS2, since I don't have a modded PS2, I can't help troubleshoot any further.

-Note: my codes are listed for NTSC format, if you are PAL format, you may need a different set of codes, as the PAL and NTSC versions have slightly different memory locations. If this is the case for you, you may have to scour the web in search of a way to convert the codes to your format.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=101208

Hi GrumpEone, tried the codes, with just one code on for cash, it starts the game but nothing happens, when I try another code like for cars, it hangs, if I try any other code, it hangs... so I am at a loss of what to do. I would love to get in there to build hybrid cars like I did in GT1,2 and 3... sigh.

Hi GrumpEone, tried the codes, with just one code on for cash, it starts the game but nothing happens, when I try another code like for cars, it hangs, if I try any other code, it hangs... so I am at a loss of what to do. I would love to get in there to build hybrid cars like I did in GT1,2 and 3... sigh.

Hmm, you are 100% sure that your GS is v4 right? As the GS's for sale nowadays are v5 (although the disc may say v1.1 or 1.3), and require verifier codes, which can be converted using an app called OmniConvert.

If you are 100% sure that you are v4, than I am only left with the conclusion that the modding is interfering with the GS. Specifically it seems, the the GS is trying to verify that the disc inserted is a genuine PS disc (as does any PS2 past the second US build, verifies upon the opening and closing of the disc tray), and since the modding circumvents that routine, it may be circumventing the GS memory coding as well, leading to a 'no action' state, or a lock-up.

If you are v4 your main menu should look similar to this:
gsv4-t.jpg

Have you been able to make any code work for any game, with your GS? If you have there may be options, if you haven't been able to make it work with anything, I'm back to my original conclusion of the modding being the issue.

FYI- the following screenshots are for GSv5, that require verifier codes and are basically the same code engine (non-color screenshot):

Would be listed as V5 or known on other sites as GS-MP
GSv5.jpg

Would be listed as V1.1, with follows the same codes as v5, and is also know as GS-BBE (broadband enabled)
GSv5mp.jpg

There is also a v1.3 with also has a similar looking main screen as the two above and is titled GS-Cheat Codes, all three follow v5 codes with verifiers.

-note I have seen many pages saying that they were able to make a copied GS2 v4 work on a modded PS2, but the info seems sketchy at best.
the troubleshooting steps I would take:

1. 100% confirm the version of the GameShark 2 (can be confusing because when GS was bought out, the version number changed format upon new releases, as well as the coding engines)

2. confirm the functionality of the Gameshark 2, by trying some of the pre-loaded codes for other games, confirming whether or not those work.

3. If step 1 & 2 are confirmed, then try and find codes for your version of gameshark, if you find a couple that actually work, then you can start narrowing down what the problem is with the many codes listed on this forum.

3b. If you are having problems finding working codes, try different coding formats using the program OmniConvert, try converting codes down to RAW/unencrypted format. Until you find a code that works.

Once you find a code or two that works everything starts to become clear.
Also something I just thought of, I've seen somewhere that there are 2 versions of NTSC GT4, there is a NTSC version and one known as NTSC2, both versions have slightly different memory locations, so this could also be your problem, I'll do a bit of research on this and get back to you.

Last edited:
my reads, CSD1859 and says NTSC U/C my unit number of my system is SCPH 39006. I have tried to use the GS with other games but none of the codes work. So I am not sure now.

my reads, CSD1859 and says NTSC U/C my unit number of my system is SCPH 39006. I have tried to use the GS with other games but none of the codes work. So I am not sure now.

Your PS2 (based on unit number) is NTSC J version, rather than a NTSC U/C. The Gameshark 2 is designed for use on NTSC U/C Region ONLY. This info was attained straight from the www.Gameshark.com site. Not sure if there is a workaround for this issue.

I'll check to see what I can find on a workaround, but it is not looking good for you being able to use any GS on your PS2.
:(My condolences on your GS:(, your best options are either buy a PS2 NTSC U/C console (not very practical), or sell you GS on eBay, I've seen lesser (the newer less powerful versions) gamesharks go for $80.00-$150.00 on eBay.

But hold off for a day or two for me to see if I can find a workaround, now that I know your exact problem.

EDIT: I've already spent almost a couple hours trying to find a workaround, and no luck so far. It's looking grim...

Last edited:
There has to be a solution, one that doesn't involve using a NTSC U/C Console. Would it be possible to get a NTSC J cheat disc (Action Replay, Codebreaker, anything?) and just enter NTSC U/C codes for his game?

Back