Problem with HDD

Hungary
Bács-Kiskun
First of all, sorry for my bad english.

So I got a HDD two years ago and it worked fine until now (This one). From now on, when I connect it to my PC it just keeps "beeping" and the PC don't recognize it. I tried it with another USB cable but it's the same case. Does anyone know what's the problem? My programs are on that HDD. :guilty:

Thanks in advance!:cheers:

EDIT: I connected the HDD again and it doesn't bleep anymore, but my PC still can't recognize it...

Can you try plugging the USB cable into a different USB port on your machine? Doesn't matter if it's a 2.0 or 3.0 port; in fact might be a good idea to try it for testing purposes in a USB2.0 port.

Are there any indicator lights on the drive, If so, are they working normally?

Worst case scenario is you may have to replace the drive and restore from your backup

Can you try plugging the USB cable into a different USB port on your machine? Doesn't matter if it's a 2.0 or 3.0 port; in fact might be a good idea to try it for testing purposes in a USB2.0 port.

Are there any indicator lights on the drive, If so, are they working normally?

Worst case scenario is you may have to replace the drive and restore from your backup
I tried other USB ports, sadly, they don't work. :indiff: Just the 'Safely remove hardware' icon turned up.
The lights are working.

Can you see the drive in Disk Management?

It could be the caddy/housing that's at fault, the controller circuitry could be dead. If you can take the drive out and connect it up to a desktop via a SATA cable you may find the drive and data itself are fine.

Can you see the drive in Disk Management?

It could be the caddy/housing that's at fault, the controller circuitry could be dead. If you can take the drive out and connect it up to a desktop via a SATA cable you may find the drive and data itself are fine.
No, I can't see it.
With every other hardware, the USBs are fine, except with this HDD. I'll try it with a SATA cable, thanks for the suggestion! :cheers:👍

Sounds like the drive is dead. One way to see if it's the drive and not just the USB connection is to shuck the drive and get yourself one of those USB 3.0 drive docks. My money is on the drive being done.

Back