Problem with my save data

  • Thread starter Thread starter GT4_ever
  • 6 comments
  • 727 views
Messages
20
United States
United States
Messages
DmitriFranco
Hello,

If anyone thinks they are savvy enough to explain this to me, and especially how to fix this, it would be greatly appreciated. Here's what happened:

On the PS4 at my house I have had a profile saved on my PSN account, with everything I've done for far saved on it. I eventually got up to Level 18 on my profile. I left for college, signed into my account on my friend's PS4. Then i downloaded GT Sport onto it. Going into it, I thought I'd be starting off from the beginning, but to my pleasant surprise I picked up right where I left off back at home, thanks to the online saved storage. I continued where I had left off at home, made it up to level 26 or something like that. Come home for spring break, and yet again I'm thrown for a loop when I see that I'm back down to Level 18 again. So essentially it's like I never left and did anything, which makes no sense. It works one way one time, and then another way another time?

Anyhow, is there a way to fix this? There's no point to me playing this game, using two different PS4's and being set at two different progress points. I thought the point of online storage was so that you would have access to the same data wherever you're playing.
 
Hello,

If anyone thinks they are savvy enough to explain this to me, and especially how to fix this, it would be greatly appreciated. Here's what happened:

On the PS4 at my house I have had a profile saved on my PSN account, with everything I've done for far saved on it. I eventually got up to Level 18 on my profile. I left for college, signed into my account on my friend's PS4. Then i downloaded GT Sport onto it. Going into it, I thought I'd be starting off from the beginning, but to my pleasant surprise I picked up right where I left off back at home, thanks to the online saved storage. I continued where I had left off at home, made it up to level 26 or something like that. Come home for spring break, and yet again I'm thrown for a loop when I see that I'm back down to Level 18 again. So essentially it's like I never left and did anything, which makes no sense. It works one way one time, and then another way another time?

Anyhow, is there a way to fix this? There's no point to me playing this game, using two different PS4's and being set at two different progress points. I thought the point of online storage was so that you would have access to the same data wherever you're playing.
I may be able to explain it. :p

I assume that when you started play at your friends house there would have been no save file on the console.
Therefore it downloaded the save you had on the server (Lv.18), and all is good.
But when you went back to your console, it already had save data on it (Lv.18) so it was that which was loaded.

Hence both times you were at Lv. 18.

Assuming you have since played again on your console at the Lv.18 stage, PD servers no doubt have you once again at that Lv.
But you would be able to get back to Lv.26 by getting a copy of the GT save point on your friends console and transering it to your own.
 
I may be able to explain it. :p

I assume that when you started play at your friends house there would have been no save file on the console.
Therefore it downloaded the save you had on the server (Lv.18), and all is good.
But when you went back to your console, it already had save data on it (Lv.18) so it was that which was loaded.

Hence both times you were at Lv. 18.

Assuming you have since played again on your console at the Lv.18 stage, PD servers no doubt have you once again at that Lv.
But you would be able to get back to Lv.26 by getting a copy of the GT save point on your friends console and transering it to your own.

Yeah, I just logged in today onto my console and found out that I was back down to Level 18. I have not done anything to modify the data on my save file since then.

What you're saying makes enough sense. That's the way I'd understand it too. It just seems to me as though if it's going to work that way, the same data should be streamlined across all devices. So when I go back to college and access the Lv. 26 data, I can upload that to online storage I guess, and when I come back home I can download what I uploaded on my own console and I'll be back in the same spot, right?
 
Yeah, I just logged in today onto my console and found out that I was back down to Level 18. I have not done anything to modify the data on my save file since then.

What you're saying makes enough sense. That's the way I'd understand it too. It just seems to me as though if it's going to work that way, the same data should be streamlined across all devices. So when I go back to college and access the Lv. 26 data, I can upload that to online storage I guess, and when I come back home I can download what I uploaded on my own console and I'll be back in the same spot, right?
Yep. 👍

One way to think about it is that the save on the console is the Master file (for want of a better word) and the online server save will follow suit depending on what the console save says.
This is why you can manipulate your save point with old backups from the PS Cloud or USB, and go backwards to an earlier save point.


On a side note, making backup copies of your save point is something everyone should be doing on a regular basis, just for piece of mind should an issue/bug arise with their current save data.
 
Last edited:
Yep. 👍

One way to think about it is that the save on the console is the Master file (for want of a better word) and the online server save will follow suit depending on what the console save says.
This is why you can manipulate your save point with old backups from the PS Cloud or USB, and go backwards to an earlier save point.


On a side note, making backup copies of your save point is something everyone should be doing on a regular basis, just as piece of mind should an issue/bug arise with their current save data.

Yeah, I agree. Alright, it's pretty clear then. Thanks a lot for being helpful! :)
 
An alternative approach, and another way to consider things, would have been to delete the save from your own console before starting GT when you got home.

So, in the same way the server downloaded the online Lv.18 save onto your friends console, you would have been prompted to download the online Lv.26 save onto your own console. ;)
But with your console having the Lv.18 save point on it, that was the one the game opted for when loading the save data. 👍
 
An alternative approach, and another way to consider things, would have been to delete the save from your own console before starting GT when you got home.

So, in the same way the server downloaded the online Lv.18 save onto your friends console, you would have been prompted to download the online Lv.26 save onto your own console. ;)
But with your console having the Lv.18 save point on it, that was the one the game opted for when loading the save data. 👍
I actually went in and tried to delete the save data off of my home console today, thinking about exactly what you just said. But when I did that, it simply loaded the same save that was already there, back up. :rolleyes:

Which runs contrary to what you and I seem to be expecting. I thought doing so would help me reclaim my save with the greater progress, since that would be all the server would be able to find.
 
Back