Problem with PS3

• Thread starter SVPSkins
  • 16 comments
United Kingdom
Wilmslow, Cheshire
SVPSkins
Hiya guys

i seem to have a problem with my PS3.

I turn it on about an hour ago and was working fine, then out of the blue 2-3mins ago it beeped 3 times, screen went blue and the red standby light started flashing on the front of the console. turned it off, turned it back on, light went green, blue and beeped again 3 times and the red light flashed again. why?

cheers but think its gone. really annoys me that i cant take my harddrive and put it in my other PS3 and do a backup. pretty crappy of Sony to stop you doing that.

Last edited:
When you say blue light did you still have a disk in there? Because that light should only come on with a disk in.

Blinking red lights might be a heat issue as the thermal paste can go after a while. Which model PS3 is it?

When you say blue light did you still have a disk in there? Because that light should only come on with a disk in.

Blinking red lights might be a heat issue as the thermal paste can go after a while. Which model PS3 is it?

Yeah at the time i had a disc in there and i also think its a heat issue. Sony wont fix it but will exchange to a slim at £110. not sure about that lol and he also said i wouldn't lose anything as all my data is on my PSN account even game save but i dont have PS Plus so how?

Yeah at the time i had a disc in there and i also think its a heat issue. Sony wont fix it but will exchange to a slim at £110. not sure about that lol and he also said i wouldn't lose anything as all my data is on my PSN account even game save but i dont have PS Plus so how?
Before my PS3 is fixed, I took sucessfully the GT6 disk which was inside of PS3's CD reader. I have pressed the eject button before I pressed the switch on/off button. It worked for me.

Tip: First hold the eject button. Then, press the switch button ON/OFF. After this process, your PS3 should make noise and should let you take the disc. Hope it helps!

Whoever told you that is either assuming you have PS+ or was only talking about games you'd downloaded, the only reliable way to transfer saves from one PS3 to another is the backup feature; some have protection so you can't copy them over with, say, a flash drive. If you want those saves you'll have to at least get the YLOD fault repaired just to boot the PS3 up for about five minutes, sadly there's no way around that if you don't have PS+.

thanks for all the reply s but ive thrown the PS3 out. opened it up cleaned it out, put new paste on and heated the board. let it kool down for 45mins put it al back together and started it up and still got a red flashing light. so thats it. no more console gaming for me. im sure as hell not buying a new one cuz of there crap and lazy build quality.

thanks for all the reply s but ive thrown the PS3 out. opened it up cleaned it out, put new paste on and heated the board. let it kool down for 45mins put it al back together and started it up and still got a red flashing light. so thats it. no more console gaming for me. im sure as hell not buying a new one cuz of there crap and lazy build quality.
That's a shame for you... If I was you, I would have sent the PS3 to Sony and exchange to a new PS3 instead

Stick it on eBay as 'broken for parts' then at least you can get some money back to maybe buy a PS4 or something which on the whole seems to have been more reliable.

Usually changing the thermal paste will fix start-up issues, it could be the PSU is faulty but again that would cost around £20 to swap out and would be a gamble. As for what the guy told you at Sony he was wrong, if you don't have PS+ and you cannot access the backup utility you will loose everything.

Try to make regular backups on USB stick of at least the game saves which are small. The game data can always been downloaded / installed.

That's a shame for you... If I was you, I would have sent the PS3 to Sony and exchange to a new PS3 instead

why should i folk out another £110 to replace a problem Sony themselves coursed, with there piss poor build quality motherboards?

why should i folk out another £110 to replace a problem Sony themselves coursed, with there piss poor build quality motherboards?

Because they worked to fix the heatsink issue even within the fat PS3 range (my launch 60GB's heatsink mount looked different to the one in my brother's later 40GB model, his had additional shims to add more force but they both YLOD'd in the end), they also improved the efficiency in the slim and even more in the super slim's processors so they don't get as hot as the fat models did (higher efficiency means lower power dissipation while doing the same job, that means lower temperature for the same amount of work so they're less likely to accidentally de-solder themselves like the old ones did), they improved their quality control with regards to the application of thermal paste and redesigned the cooling apparatus. That's not to say these problems never occur in the newer PS3s since anything can be made to overheat in certain circumstances but the failure rates are much, much lower.

But it's your choice, of course. The PS4 has taken a radically different approach by using what is basically a modified but pre-existing netbook processor instead of an unproven, first-ever commercial application of a supercomputer one - that wasn't just marketing speak, the PS3 really did use a supercomputer-grade processor - so they stand to age a lot better than the PS3 did in terms of wear and tear. Basically what I'm saying is early adopters always get screwed because they end up being beta testers but at least the later revisions really did address these problems.

Because they worked to fix the heatsink issue even within the fat PS3 range (my launch 60GB's heatsink mount looked different to the one in my brother's later 40GB model, his had additional shims to add more force but they both YLOD'd in the end), they also improved the efficiency in the slim and even more in the super slim's processors so they don't get as hot as the fat models did (higher efficiency means lower power dissipation while doing the same job, that means lower temperature for the same amount of work so they're less likely to accidentally de-solder themselves like the old ones did), they improved their quality control with regards to the application of thermal paste and redesigned the cooling apparatus. That's not to say these problems never occur in the newer PS3s since anything can be made to overheat in certain circumstances but the failure rates are much, much lower.

But it's your choice, of course. The PS4 has taken a radically different approach by using what is basically a modified but pre-existing netbook processor instead of an unproven, first-ever commercial application of a supercomputer one - that wasn't just marketing speak, the PS3 really did use a supercomputer-grade processor - so they stand to age a lot better than the PS3 did in terms of wear and tear. Basically what I'm saying is early adopters always get screwed because they end up being beta testers but at least the later revisions really did address these problems.

looking at buying a slim after reading that. just hope i can transfer my data via Ethernet

EDIT: Ignore, didn't read Neema's post fully, my bad!

Was just saying you may have lost your saves, but you can always re-download games from the PS Store even if you don't have PS+.

hiya guys

got a new PS3 but trying to find out how i can get my game data off my YOLD PS3. As i dont want to start all the games i played again, plus there's the matter of DLC's ive bought for GT5 that i cant download any more.

Latest Posts

Back