Problems with "fishtailing/countersteering"

Brazil
São Paulo / Bra
diegorborges82
Hello all.

Long time Gran Turismo player and now completely newbie in Forza Motorsport. Finding the physics really awesome so far, just having some serious problems with mostly RWD and MR cars fishtailing when I try to correct a oversteer with countersteering. (Depends on the car, of course... MR cars are very twitchy, the Alfa 4C is almost impossible with stock tires, had to install wider ones to make it just a bit better)

I know I'm probably not used yet to the physics/controller (playing on gamepad) but for all of you seasoned forza motorsport players, there's anything I can do on the car setup to make it easier to handle on those situations?

I've already improved a bit with some adjustments on the gamepad deadzones, etc.

Thank you all!

First question would be are you talking about purely stock cars, or modified cars? If you're modifying cars without tuning them, then more often than not it'll result in a horrible base tune. Especially with the differential.

First question would be are you talking about purely stock cars, or modified cars? If you're modifying cars without tuning them, then more often than not it'll result in a horrible base tune. Especially with the differential.

Purely stock cars.

As FM6 physics are very enjoyable, I'm mostly running stock cars or really mildly tuned ones.

Maybe I'm hard to understand but I mostly install the upgrades and do very small adjustments. Generally just ride height.

Still getting to know how tuning work on FM6.

Purely stock cars.

As FM6 physics are very enjoyable, I'm mostly running stock cars or really mildly tuned ones.

Brake earlier than you think you need too, and softer than you normally would. Make sure to brake smoothly also. Keep your steering smooth as well, and keep a little throttle on and progressively increase the amount of throttle once you reach the apex of the corner. The key to forza is to be as smooth as you possibly can, and to enter slow and exit fast. Also, do not just put the thumbstick for steering all the way left or right. You need to use that just as progressively as you would the throttle and brake.

Check your deadzones in the controller options also, once in the options, press "X" for the advance controller options. In there you can set your deadzones.

You want them like this:

Steering: 0/100
Acceleration: 0/100
Deceleration: 0/100

I hope this helps a little.

Also make sure you leave the steering or handling set to normal. If you attempt to run "Simulation" it is very common to have snap oversteer similar to the GT series. The simulation setting really seems to be better for wheel users. Does not seem to work well with the controller. Been that way with the Forza series for a long time.

On a side note I do have a few cars like the 03 Celica RWD that I am having issues with when I let off the gas before a corner, the rear kicks right out. I know for sure that it is something to do with the differential deceleration, I just need to get it tuned in the correct direction. Usually the less deceleration I apply for RWD, helps prevent the lift over steer, but not with the Celica. I am going to make an attempt tonight to go the opposite direction, increase the rear deceleration in the diff and see what happens.

Purely stock cars.

Maybe I'm hard to understand but I mostly install the upgrades and do very small adjustments. Generally just ride height.

Still getting to know how tuning work on FM6.
One major thing to note, is that if you ever install a race diff, always make sure and change the settings that it gives you. Lower accel on RWD cars will result in less power oversteer, but to much and it'll be a hindrance on your vehicle. On FWD cars a lower accel will alleviate on throttle understeer. With the decel, it seems the description in game is wrong, as raising the rear decel will alleviate off throttle oversteer with RWD vehicles. This can make a big difference in the way a vehicle drives, and is usually one of the first things I change. As for the rest of the tuning options, just read the descriptions and they should be able to get you a basic image.

As for completely stock cars, it'll just take practice to get used to it. From what I gathered the inputs seem a bit more sensitive this time around, although I've only seen that with the brakes so far.

Simulation steering is awful on a wheel, and isnt realistic at all. With the sheer amount of sims I have played over the past 26 years with a wheel, I have never played one that feels like Forza with that forsaken option turned on.
Well I guess it is best to just leave it on normal.

Wow, thank you all.

A lot of valuable input. Yes, I'm playing with the steering on simulation! First thing I will do is to put it back to normal. You know, we go for the most realistic option and "simulation" would mean that. Good to know.

Will try with the deadzones settings on 0/100. Been using low values for minimum/maximum like 5/95 or 5/100.

Again, thank you all, let's keep sharing hints. I'll try those tonight and will tell you. :)

@diegorborges I have a few videos on my youtube channel that may help you, they are just replays, no commentarys or anything. But I show the telemetry in them, which will allow you to see how much brake/steering/throttle I use. Most for FM6 are done on a Logitech G920 wheel, but some are on the controller. I also have videos from FM5 and FM4 also. They could be educational for yourself.

Another thing that you can do also, is to watch the replays from the rivals leaderboards. Mainly the ones for the fastest in the game, but do not neglect to look at the replays from people on your xbox live friends list also.

The deadzones are something easy to miss, I only just fixed them a few weeks ago. Feels a lot better, even if it hasn't resulted in a big change in my times.

I tend to drop tire pressures to 29 or 28 for any cars I plan on driving a lot too. Gives you a bit more grip to work with.

Definitely the best advice where forza is concerned, and even the advice that Fanatec used to give out when sim steering was added as an option in Forza.
Yep Sim steering is a mess in Forza. It wasn't so bad when FM4 was first released but after the first patch it was really bad. I was using a Fanatec Turbo S at the time and always used the sim setting before the patch, but after the patch it was as if the counter steer ratio was different than the normal ratio causing all sorts of issues once a slide started.

Switched to normal and it was much better. Later I picked up the CSR Elite wheel and gave that a try on sim also and it was horrible. Unfortunately the Fanatec wheels I have do not work with FM6 but it seems to have the same issue with the sim steering.

So far Forza is the only game I play where I do not use sim steering if available.

Ok, changing the steering from simulation to normal, changed completely the game.

Thank you all for the help. Now it feels good and I can control the cars a lot better. It still have the good physics characteristics from Forza Motorsport as I can see, it's just not as twitchy on the steering.

Ok, changing the steering from simulation to normal, changed completely the game.

Thank you all for the help. Now it feels good and I can control the cars a lot better. It still have the good physics characteristics from Forza Motorsport as I can see, it's just not as twitchy on the steering.
Really glad that helped. 👍

Back