Professor Stephen Hawking Dies Aged 76

• Thread starter Robin
  • 21 comments

Robin

Premium
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
7fd1efb3f3d4bc6211e050c79d015362

A man who needs no introduction, Professor Stephen Hawking, father of the Big Bang Theory and world renowned scientist has died aged 76.

His children issued a statement saying,

We are deeply saddened that our beloved father passed away today. He was a great scientist and an extraordinary man whose work and legacy will live on for many years. His courage and persistence with his brilliance and humour inspired people across the world. He once said, "It would not be much of a universe if it wasn't home to the people you love." We will miss him forever.'

I am genuinely shocked by this news. Although it's amazing given his condition how long and reasonably full a life he has lead he is one of those figures you just expect to be forever present in the world. It is a shame he never got to see man land on Mars or the Moon again but he certainly saw many great discoveries in science and about space in his time.

R.I.P.

Last edited:
He will be remembered as certainly one of the most visible scientists of our generation seeing that he did so much public facing work and media appearances like on the Simpsons and The Big Bang Theory.

In that respect he was much more approachable and helped the field feel more accessible for people. Only a handful of scientists have ever managed to do that and have such a broad appeal outside of their peer group.

I learned so much from the documentaries featuring him everyday on space and science when I was a kid. I have no other words. :(

I've been reeling for the past half hour trying to make sense of this. I don't think anyone can really comprehend just how much of a loss this is to the sciences.

He was an incredible man, and I would have loved to meet him - if only to say "Thank you" for the hard work he did.

God bless your soul, Professor Hawking. May you find new horizons and learn so much more about our world in Heaven.

That's knocked me sideways a bit.

In the absence of my own words, I will leave some of his that encapsulate his view on life and death.

"I believe the simplest explanation is, there is no God. No one created the universe and no one directs our fate. This leads me to a profound realisation that there probably is no heaven and no afterlife either. We have this one life to appreciate the grand design of the universe and for that, I am extremely grateful.”

"Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up.”

I always remembered seeing him on TV on science channels. I always admired him. So I’m genuinely shocked to hear that he’s passed away. He was lucky to have lived this long though, considering his condition. But that’s also what made him such a unique scientist.

May he fly among the stars in peace.

Mankind lost a genius; the cosmos gained a star. Fly safe, Professor Hawking.

76 is a decent run for able-bodied people as it is, to achieve that having been diagnosed with ALS/MND in 1962 is almost impossible to comprehend. The man was a marvel of both body and mind, and safe to say there will never be anyone else quite like him.

What can be said. To myself, and thousands of scientist, he was an inspiration; methods of research and learning we all aspired to. To humanity as a whole he was proof that no matter how bad things can get, there is something you can do to change the world, even if it is in a small way. To be named alongside Galileo and Einstein and Newton only showed some of the impact he had on the world, and our understanding of the universe. RIP Professor.

A very sad loss, not least because of his brilliance as a scientist, but also because of his immeasurable impact on raising awareness of the place of science in our day to day lives. Like the great Carl Sagan, Prof. Hawking understood the potential for science and technological development to both enrich and endanger the future of our species, and their profound wisdom will stand as a beacon of light against the forces of darkness that could easily ruin this planet. Hawking was a brilliant mind, but he went far beyond mere academic success and used his formidable intellect to influence and encourage debate on critical issues that affect us all. In a world that seems dominated by egomaniacal sociopaths and dangerous levels of ignorance, the world is indeed a much poorer place without such a champion of reason and such a great spokesperson for our species.

Last edited:
The only thing I can come up with right now:

Respect!

R.I.P. Prof. Stephen Hawking

Stephen Hawking, a great man. I read his book, A Brief History of Time, way back in the day, and followed him ever since. He evolved significantly over his 76 years. He managed, against great difficulty, to experience a discursive life peppered with great achievement and personal evolution. The loss of his person is painful and immediate, but his memory is joyous and eternal.

Can't really add much else, as a lot of it has already been accounted for and projected very well.

There's no denying his impact in the scientific field and beyond, as well as showing how you should never, ever give up, no matter what life throws at you.

RIP Professor Hawking.

That's knocked me sideways a bit.

In the absence of my own words, I will leave some of his that encapsulate his view on life and death.

"I believe the simplest explanation is, there is no God. No one created the universe and no one directs our fate. This leads me to a profound realisation that there probably is no heaven and no afterlife either. We have this one life to appreciate the grand design of the universe and for that, I am extremely grateful.”

"Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up.”
Just...yes.

Back