Programming 101

  • Thread starter Thread starter BKViper
  • 16 comments
  • 858 views
Messages
845
Messages
bkviper
Did PD fire the staff from all previous versions and hire a bunch of teenage interns to write GT5?
Damn, this game crashes so often it's laughable.
I've only ever had 1 PS3 game crash before, and it only did it once.
So far, I would estimate GT5 has crashed on me a dozen times.
Just now I ran the Dream Car Championship. I won all the races and it got to the final screen with the flags in the background and the Exit button. Only problem was the Exit button never appeared.
Of course there was nothing I could do so I quit via the XMB and restarted.
Now not only did I not get the bonus from winning the championship, but I also lost all the money I won from the five individual races.
You mean to tell me they aren't saving the data after each race? That's stupid programming 101 errors.
There are so many cases of stupid little mistakes like this throughout the game and frankly it is inexcusable.
Forget all the features that were promised and not put in the game, forget everyone's pipe dreams about new features, they can't even get simple functionality right.
Incorrect sorting and filtering, menu settings not saving, game progress such as I just encountered not saving. I could write a huge diatribe, but we all have experienced these poorly executed functions.
How does this kind of blatant oversight make it past the QA testing on a game with the development resources that GT5 had behind it?
I can excuse the stuff like shadows, standard cars, and others where system resources could be strained, but these outright screw ups with the simple stuff are totally inexcusable in my book.
As a software developer with 20 years experience, I would fire people under me for these kinds of mistakes in a huge project, and I've never had any project come close the user base of GT5. It is embarrassing for PD to release such garbage to millions of users.
 
...then quit playing?

Yes, because that's exactly what PD wants. Its a good thing your not in the video gaming business.:sly: As for the topic, the game crashes online the most. If you join a room mid race, the game hangs on you. If your in race watch mode and the race ends, the game hangs.
 
Yes, because that's exactly what PD wants. Its a good thing your not in the video gaming business.:sly:
Yes...because I'm all in favour of what PD wants... :odd:

You've got it all wrong.

He should quit playing because he's obviously fed up with the game.
 
I've played every day since launch, never had it crash once. I have a 3 year old 80GB fatty and have never had a problem.
 
I think for GT6, PD should maybe lower the variety in the game. The game tries to do too much, but ends up doing everything half watered down.
 
Personally, I have never had GT5 crash on me. Is it possible that your disk has a scartch or grease mark? An unstable internet connection could affect stability during loading screens as well.
 
I have played the game almost everyday since it launched and I have not had any such problems. I am playing on a launch 60 GB PS3. Also, I own Gran Turismo, Gran Turismo 2, Gran Turismo 3, Gran Turismo 4, Gran Turismo PSP and Gran Turismo 5 Prologue. Gran Turismo 5 is easily the best game PD has ever put out, and with the online additions and dlc, it only gets better.
 
You’re looking at it from the wrong perspective. As a software developer, sure it’s inexcusable. But to a general consumer, it may not even be noticeable. They’re small bugs, and most games end up with patches to fix them. “I could write a huge diatribe” Based on three bugs you pointed out?
 
The not saving after each race is pretty stupid. I was grinding for a good 45 minutes to get to around 900,000cr with 50,000cr races. Exited straight to the browser only to come back to a mere 70,000cr sitting there. Ridiculous
 
I've never had it crash


And I've played the game A LOT. Sometimes all at once (4+ hours depending on my schedule).
 
It never crashed on me, i have 2 PS3s 2 accounts, running 24 b-pec races on weekdays, and a whole lot of a-spec races on weekends.

It's not the programmers, PD or GT5.
 
I've had the game crash twice on me early on, and I can't remember for the life of me which race it was, but it happened during loading of that particular a-spec race....
 
My game has never crashed or frozen, Im using a launch day 40g fat and it stays on for weeks at a time. Maybe it's your machine.
 
Did PD fire the staff from all previous versions and hire a bunch of teenage interns to write GT5?
Damn, this game crashes so often it's laughable.
I've only ever had 1 PS3 game crash before, and it only did it once.
So far, I would estimate GT5 has crashed on me a dozen times.
Just now I ran the Dream Car Championship. I won all the races and it got to the final screen with the flags in the background and the Exit button. Only problem was the Exit button never appeared.
Of course there was nothing I could do so I quit via the XMB and restarted.
Now not only did I not get the bonus from winning the championship, but I also lost all the money I won from the five individual races.
You mean to tell me they aren't saving the data after each race? That's stupid programming 101 errors.
There are so many cases of stupid little mistakes like this throughout the game and frankly it is inexcusable.
Forget all the features that were promised and not put in the game, forget everyone's pipe dreams about new features, they can't even get simple functionality right.
Incorrect sorting and filtering, menu settings not saving, game progress such as I just encountered not saving. I could write a huge diatribe, but we all have experienced these poorly executed functions.
How does this kind of blatant oversight make it past the QA testing on a game with the development resources that GT5 had behind it?
I can excuse the stuff like shadows, standard cars, and others where system resources could be strained, but these outright screw ups with the simple stuff are totally inexcusable in my book.
As a software developer with 20 years experience, I would fire people under me for these kinds of mistakes in a huge project, and I've never had any project come close the user base of GT5. It is embarrassing for PD to release such garbage to millions of users.

You have problem with your playstation 3 console not with gran turismo game !!!
 
80 gig fatty here: zero crashes so far.
 
As a software developer with 20 years experience, I would fire people under me for these kinds of mistakes in a huge project, and I've never had any project come close the user base of GT5.

Hah!! I'm sure you have worked with people that would make those mistakes and were not fired. I know I have.

I have also worked on projects dealing with massive throughput and userbase.

20 years ... wow punch cards and 5 1/4 inch disks!!

I agree with your post. It is a HUGE shame. It's laughable. I have no idea how they could have botched the UI so badly. Especially things like locking the UI while things like loading is going on in the background. Or in the seasonal events, while it updates your times.

I'm quite impressed with the graphics engine, but their common sense engine needs work.
 
Back