Progress: BMW 2002Turbo vs BMW 120d

Here's an old vs new comparo of the BMWs. It's quite long, so feel free to cut to the Nurburgring section (where there's a brief summary of what went before) or to the conclusion itself. Comments from anyone welcome, esp if you've driven either car in RL. Enjoy...

The March of Progress:
BMW 120d vs BMW 2002 Turbo

Find performance figures etc here:

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=55525&stc=1

Looking in my garage recently, I was struck by the similarity in specifications of two very different cars from BMW, the 120d and the old 2002 turbo. Both produce similar power, are a similar size and have 2 litre turbocharged engines.

I started wondering in what ways BMWs had changed over the years, both dynamically and in concept, and so took them both for a spin to see what I could discover.

The Cars​

Conceptually, these are very different cars: the 2002 Turbo was the M3 of its day, the range topping firebrand whose macho image would rub off onto its lesser brethren. Its 177bhp engine was not to be sniffed at in 1973, offering more power than any contemporary road-going Lotus, and nearly 50bhp up on its by no means slow sister car, the fuel injected 2002Tii. Even the base model 2002 was considered a fast car at the time, and it mustered a mere 100bhp. I’m struggling to think of a direct competitor for this car, and frankly the only 4 seater to touch it would be the180bhp Porsche 911S.

The 120d on the other hand is a very different animal: a diesel for a start, this is BMW’s entry level rear drive car. Intended as a rival to the VW Golf and the Audi A3 it’s a sophisticated, modern 5 door hatch with, uniquely in its class, rear wheel drive. It’s a much heavier car than the 2002, as we have come to expect of modern cars, and the engine is blessed with a table mountain for a torque curve. Its intention is to be comfortable, relaxing, and competent in the first place, and a driver’s car in the second place.

So how do they compare in the extreme environment of GT4?

Performance Figures​

Performance figures first: the 2002 weighs just 982kg compared to the 120’s 1415kg, so you would expect the older car to win the acceleration tests comfortably. Not so: over 400m they are separated by just 0.2 seconds, and over the kilometer, the gap is just 0.66secs. Hardly a walkover. How can this be? The answer lies in the torque curve: a car relies on its torque for acceleration, so despite a noticeably inferior power to weight ratio, the 120 is able to keep pace with the lighter car.

Incidentally, all driver aids were turned off for the tests, but I did try the modern car with traction control, on the basis that the real car has it (edit: just found out you can’t turn off the traction control in RL, which is a bit poo…), but it actually performed better with the TCS turned off, pointing to good grip and traction for the newer car. The 2002 performed best with a full throttle, bouncing off the rev-limiter start, with a subsequent lift to quell the inevitable wheel spin.

Round 1 to the old timer then, but only just. For the top speed runs the tables were turned. I expected the newer car’s superior aerodynamics to give it a massive advantage, but it was barely 6mph faster, 140.4mph compared to 134.8, a good result for the 2002.

Paris George V​

And so to the circuits. I tried them on both Paris circuits, which contrast very nicely with each other. George V is pretty tight, all 2nd /3rd gear stuff, and the older car’s light weight was a real bonus here. It was a hoot, too, the tail wagging at every opportunity, drifts galore all the way round, sliding gracefully onto the Champs Elysees at the end of the lap, never a dull moment. If you missed the braking point, there’d be understeer going into the corner, but if you judged it right it would be nicely balanced, with the back swinging out under power out of the 2nd gear corners, as you’d expect. A bit untidy, perhaps, but nicely controllable.

The 120 wasn’t really at home here – it felt ungainly through the tight corners, and the weight really seemed to count against it. However, the suspension was always well controlled, the car was always well balanced, and its absolute neutrality was clear – very little actually disturbed this car’s equilibrium, and severe understeer was noticeable only by its absence. The only place where you felt any loss of grip was on the long bend around the Arc de Triomphe, and even there it was merely an on/off-throttle adjustment of attitude that you could feel. The 2002 shades it by 0.4secs.

Paris Opera​

Opera was a different story. It’s a faster circuit and suited the 120 better than the 2002, which was about 7/10ths off the pace. However that doesn’t tell the full story, as until 4 corners from the end the two were neck and neck, but the following chicane tied the 2002 in knots: the change in direction and a bump at the apex would combine to throw the tail out, leaving the rear wheel spinning, which in turn would require a sizeable lift to sort out and so restore forward momentum. You probably could find a tidy way through that section, but I’d already done several laps more than in the 120, so it seemed unfair on the newcomer to take any longer.

The 120 was again very composed and neutral on this bumpy and frequently awkward circuit. This was especially noticeable round the hairpin in front of the Opera House itself (grand building with gold ornaments), where there was a welcome lack of understeer, and the car just went where you pointed it. This is a corner where a FWD car would be struggling with both understeer and torque-steer, but the RWD set-up shows its class, letting the car just track round.

The 2002 was again great fun, with a smidgen of oversteer everywhere but with the balance to control it if you’re gentle. Through Place Vendome, for example (the square with that big column in the middle of it 1/3rd through the lap), it would track nicely through the first part, need a little correction in the middle, and storm out the other side in a slight drift – just what you’d want, really. In front of the Opera House, however, it would run wide, understeering through the hairpin, but then get its power down nicely on the way out.

The Nurburgring​

So, to summarise, we have two cars of similar power and size, which accelerate at a similar rate and have a similar top speed, but whose weights are very different, whose suspension systems give them very different handling traits, and which have very different engine characteristics. How will they fare at the Nurburgring?

Finally I took the cars to the Nurgurgring. Not just because I like it, but also because of the wide variety of corners you find there and its real world feel: I think it’s as close as you get to an empty open road in GT4, despite being a closed circuit. The times are very close, which was unexpected; you’d think that after nearly 9 minutes one would have triumphed over the other, but no, it was swings and roundabouts all the way.

To begin with they were neck and neck, with the 120 edging ahead only at the tricky downhill section after Kallenhard (awkward tightening downhill right-hander), where its greater composure allowed you to keep the power down. The 2002 at this point was teetering on the edge of adhesion, and required a careful hand to keep it on the track. The 120 maintained its advantage through Breidscheid (the double apex left where you can see a house on the bend), but on the following uphill sections the tables were turned, and the 2002 was able to power away up the hill leaving the 120 gasping.

At this point it’s worth mentioning the gearing, because I think this was the 2002’s real advantage here, along with its light weight. The 2002 has just a 4 speed gearbox to reach its 134mph top speed and the 120 has a six speed box, although on the track you only really use 5. At 100mph the 2002 is in 4th at 5000rpm (ie c.20mph/1000rpm), while the 120 needs just 4300rpm in 4th and 3200rpm in 5th (c. 23.25mph/1000rpm & 31.25mph/1000rpm respectively), giving the older car a greater mechanical advantage, and thus, at these higher speeds, greater thrust. And this, I believe, explains the way the 2002 was able to gain 5 secs by the time they reached the Karussel at the top of the hill.

But the next section was equally astonishing, as the 120’s greater composure and grip allowed it to reap most of that back in less than a mile. It stormed through Hohe Acht (the fast left-right-right-left complex over a brow some 1/4mile after the Karussel), and was a revelation through the difficult and critical Wipperman just afterwards. Someone really good could probably take that flat out in the 120, but I made do with a little lift here and there.

Through the same section, the 2002 was a handful, and also lacked the sheer grip of the 120. A twitch here, a slide wide there, it needed constant work to keep it on line, costing it seconds in the process. By the time we’d got to the spectator areas at Brunchen the 120 was just a second off the 2002’s tail.

The rest of the lap was pretty uneventful, the 120 gaining a little here and there, until the last section where it finally nosed ahead, its greater composure again winning the hand.

Conclusion​

Although on the surface, the performance of these two cars appears near identical, they achieve it in very different ways. I find it impressive that the 120d is able to make up for its excess weight with the sophistication of its suspension and its mountainous torque: I never thought that it would be able to keep up with the Turbo round a circuit, but it did quite comfortably.

I think the GT4 version of the 2002 Turbo is a little sanitized compared to the real thing. Turbo lag, for example, is not really modeled, and I’m certain this car would have suffered from it to a noticeable degree. This would have made the car a right handful in some corners, if the turbo were to cut in half way round, but there’s no hint of this in GT4. If anyone’s actually driven one it’d be interesting to find out (Jay Kay, are you reading this…?). However the handling is pretty close to what I remember of a standard 2002 20 years ago, so….

The 120d shows in its composure and relaxed demeanour the way cars have come on in the last 30 years. Although not a pure driver’s car, it would still please an enthusiastic driver who was looking for something undemanding to drive every day, while its subtleties would probably be lost on the average driver. Incidentally, the 120 was very easy to drive fast, and to match its times I always needed more time in the 2002 to get the best out of it – it was easy to make a mistake and lose time.

The 2002 Turbo is a riot to drive, but its primitive suspension, which is brought into perspective by this comparison, is exactly what makes it so entertaining. This entertainment is what we have lost over the years. Cars are now so competent at going round corners without frightening Grandma out of her wits, that a sub 9 minute lap becomes not only possible in an ordinary car, but routine and almost unexciting. Thus if you want both competence and excitement you need, quite simply, more power. M3 anyone?....

Attachments

• 2002profile.jpg
    2002profile.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 2002jump.jpg
    2002jump.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 26
:lol: Nice idea for a comparison, and a multi-track one too. I like the multitrack format, because it gives you a more complete picture of the cars in question, and, as you've shown, varying laptimes and winners.

I would've picked the 120i, but the 120d is an interesting choice. One question, how did you shift? I've found more pace if you short-shift slightly. And you're right, though there's not much in the way of roll or understeer, this car hates weight shifts.

Cool write up 👍. Exactly what were the two cars laps at the Nurburgring? How much difference was there at the end of the lap?

Revheadnz
Cool write up 👍. Exactly what were the two cars laps at the Nurburgring? How much difference was there at the end of the lap?

The 120d finished just half a sec ahead. Take a look here, the lap times are at the bottom:

Niky, if I'd thought about it, I'd probably have used the 120i too, but the fact that the power figures were so close was what made me go "I wonder which is faster..." I bought the diesel in the first place because it actually had more power than the petrol, but I always expected it to be slower than the 2002.

As for shifting, I shifted when the light came on. Wish I'd thought of shortshifting: diesels nearly always prefer it. Perhaps they should have made it sound like an asthmatic Transit... :)

FastEddie12
The 120d finished just half a sec ahead. Take a look here, the lap times are at the bottom:

Niky, if I'd thought about it, I'd probably have used the 120i too, but the fact that the power figures were so close was what made me go "I wonder which is faster..." I bought the diesel in the first place because it actually had more power than the petrol, but I always expected it to be slower than the 2002.

As for shifting, I shifted when the light came on. Wish I'd thought of shortshifting: diesels nearly always prefer it. Perhaps they should have made it sound like an asthmatic Transit... :)

I've driven both the 120i and 120d IRL, and would have picked the 120i for this. Despite the specs being close the narrow powerband of the 120d makes it a pain to drive quickly, also the additional weight of the diesel engine up front does make a difference. In game and IRL the 120i turns in much better than the 120d, its worth running around the 'ring in the 120i and checking the time against the 120d. I've always been faster in the petrol model and its a much nicer drive.

Regards

Scaff

I agree... the 120i is a faster track machine, but I think the 120d has a little top speed edge on the 'ring. I was really surprised how much faster I could go when short shifting it when ghost-racing myself.

Anyways, again, nice write-up and imaginative comparison! 👍

I'm sorry fellas, but I've just spent the evening thrashing those darned 120s round those tracks and I cannot beat the diesel with the petrol!!! Every time I found some more time in the petrol, I'd go out in the diesel and the gap would grow again. Any cornering advantage that I could find with the petrol would be negated by the diesel's extra power. :banghead:

So at George V: 120d - 1'36.699; 120i - 1'37.961.
At Opera: 120d - 1'39.223"; 120i - 1'40.551.
At the 'Ring: 120d - 8'45.873"; 120i - 8'57.705".

There were a few places where the 120i was slightly better - Place Vendome, the Opera House hairpin, Hohe Acht - but once I'd got the hang of hustling it through there at higher speed, I could also hustle the 120d through at higher speed.

I tried, I really did, cos I wanted to know (you know how it is), but there it is: on GT4, the diesel is quicker (what is the world coming to?) :scared: .

Give it a go, I bet a bunch of bananas you'll find the same thing. (I'm good for it :P )

Take it easy, Ed

Nice idea! I regularly do the same thing at the 'Ring for a bit of fun, but never thought of doing a write up. One question though, which tyres did you use on the cars? I usually go for n2 myself if I'm driving stock road cars.

I suppose those are N3s. The ring times are close to mine, I've done the 'ring at 8:58.200 in the 120i and 8:47-8:48 in the 120d in regular lapping (which means it would be 1-3 seconds faster if it were perfect).

:D
michaeldenham
One question though, which tyres did you use on the cars? I usually go for n2 myself if I'm driving stock road cars.

Actually this lot were on S2's. Shows how good I am, eh Niky? :) .

I think the most interesting thing to come out of this (for me) was the different ways two cars of similar power and straight line performance could tackle these circuits, and yet still come out with similar times.

By the way, the 120i accelerated slower (400m: 16.800; 1000m 30.446) yet posted almost the same top speed (140.36), and had 157bhp@6200 and 155lb.ft@3600. Mass 1335kg. Gearing c.17.54mph/1000rpm in 4th and 21.74mph/1000rpm in 5th.

The 2002 was still more fun :D

S2s on a 2002 Turbo :indiff: .....well.....I'm kinda dissapointed you didn't use street tires (like N2), but anyway, the write-up is FANTASTIC !!! Congrats mate, really nice read 👍👍

puricele7e
S2s on a 2002 Turbo :indiff: .....well.....I'm kinda dissapointed you didn't use street tires (like N2), but anyway, the write-up is FANTASTIC !!! Congrats mate, really nice read 👍👍

Sorry, but I have a love hate relationship with those tyres, it always takes me a while to get used to them. I only intended this to be a quick thing, but you know how it is...

*Must try harder. 5/10* :)

Glad you enjoyed it, thanks.

No problem, sorry but that was my honest opinion ! It's MY love relationship with N2's THAT's the problem :lol::lol: Anyway, keep it up !!

PS: No, you shouldn't nessecairily (sp?) try harder, that's perfect as it is ;)

I just ran both around my two current test tracks, Tsukuba and Grand Valley. Both cars on N2's, totaly stock with no driver aids.

120d
Grand Valley - 2.32:555
Tsukuba - 1.15:448

120i
Grand Valley - 2.32:291
Tsukuba - 1.15:662

So all I've done is confuse matters a bit more, with one win a piece. They are also a lot closer in times than I remember.

Overall, I think that a lot of this is down to driver preference, and I totally agree with Eddie that the two cars need almost totally different approaches to the circuits.

The 120d is more stable through the tight corners, with a little less understeer in these corners, but the 120i is much better through complex corner sections as found at Grand Valley. Well in my opinion anyway.

@Eddie, I beat a 120d with a 120i (OK by a whole 0.264 seconds and on one track), does that get me a least one banana. :)

Regards

Scaff

Great write-up! 👍

I never realized the 120's and 2002T were so close...though I prefer the 2002T myself. :)

FastEddie12
I'm a man of my word, so here, Scaff, have a banana:

:lol:

@Eddie: Nah, don't knock it... my N3 times came with much blood sweat and tears... I swear, if I have to drive another 30 cars on Ns, I'm going to scream.

But once you get used to it, it does improve your technique. My N-tire times with tne Focus RS on the ring are pretty close to my S-tire times, and BELOW my old S-tire records. I'm probably only (moderately) quick on the 'ring in small cars because I've done over 1000km on it already in N-tire testing. Everywhere else, I still suck. :lol:

@Scaff: I think the Tsukuba difference is the long high speed corners. That's throwing off the 120d's weight balance. But with more testing, you could probably still beat the 120i times. :)

Not to brag or anything (allthough it may sound), I'm running a test with ALL (well, the ones over 75 HP anyway, no stupid Fiat Pandas ;) ) on the Ring, every car 2 or 3 laps with N2 tires....Until now I ran 255 different cars ( still to run historic cars, like the Karmann Ghia, Toyota 2000 GT, Etype and so on, plus all the German cars over 300 hp)....

I gathered around 1000 laps (yes, laps) (the "just for fun" time trials not included) but it doesn't really feel that much, because it's fun fun fun ;);)

Gonna post the whole excel sheet in the near future :dopey:

Hehe... good luck to you.

It's fun to me if the car is a willing partner, but if I'm pushing 10/10ths and I'm not satisfied with the car's performance, I can get annoyingly edgy. There are probably 2 out of every 5 cars that "feel" good on the 'ring to me. Everything else is just too difficult to push, or requires too much concentration to get an "Okay" lap. I can't count the number of laps I do when testing, but I average about 100-200km per car. :ill:

I've given up compiling perfect laps for every car I like on the Nur. Namely because I'd be doing another test or comparison, and actually beat that fast lap by some margin... which would bring all my other results from the previous testing period into question. And that'd be another 60km of testing or so per car and I'd have to try my hardest to beat my times and...

Yes, happened to me a lot, especially in the beginning......did a lap with the M3CSL, time was......something, and 3 weeks later I got like 4 seconds faster, so there goes concistency out the window :(

Indeed, not all cars feel at home on the ring (Sidenote: the Volvo 240 feels very nice ;) ) but you just have to adjust each time trial to the cars' handling and off you go ;) It's the small difference that matters.....like for example, the Acura and the Honda Integra Type R.

They both got the same power, but the Honda 's got a stiffer suspension and is around 90-100 kg lighter (I think it's for the mostly flat japanese courses). But, surprise surpirse, in my test, the Acura was slightly faster !! (maybe because of the extra grip of the front tires on bumpy surfaces, soft(er) suspension and bit more weight on the front wheels = 👍

It's not only the time that matters, it's the small differences between cars (or between versions of the same car) that make up for this truly incredible experience ;)

Latest Posts

Back