Project Gotham Racing

United States
United States
I bought PGR 2, 3 and 4 and have been playing them and...I kind of forgot how much of an influence it has had over the genre. In the handling, there's a LOT of Grid and Grid 2. I can see bits of Forza 7 even in it. Like, we all agree Gran Turismo was a SUPER important game to the franchise. I would also say that Need For Speed was important, too. But also PGR. Bizarre Creations maybe dead, but their impact on racing games and...really video games as a whole...I don't think will really go away.

Last edited:
Bizarre Creations maybe dead, but their impact on racing games and...really video games as a whole...I don't think will really go away.
Indeed. Because since then, some of them have been with Playground Games making Forza Horizon games. ;)

Now, couple of those are nigh impossible to unlock 'cause they require beating everything on Platinum, which...in PGR3 only 3% of players have done. So...I guess I could go without the locked cars, but that just feels like it's unfair...unfair like locking out the fastest cars to anyone unworthy enough to unlock them. It's a good thing that wasn't copied by any other game...oh wait...Forza 7!

You do realize that there's a sense of progression involved, right? You're supposed to start from a point where you feel comfortable in terms of difficulty, and work your way up. Some may be more confident and start from Gold level and go from there, or some might start from square one at Steel and go from there.

This isn't simply locking cars behind a gate and waiting for the kind developers to unlock it. If you want it, you have to work for it. How long it takes is up to you. In the case of PGR 3, most of the concept cars, barring the GT-One and the GT90 (personally) weren't even really that great, were middling, or good in specific circumstances that could be achieved with other vehicles. Plus, the open ended nature of the races meant that you didn't have to be locked in to a car class for a race or Arcade chapter like PGR 4.

I really get the sense that you're pissed that nothing is handed to you other then the bare essentials like they are in most modern sim racing games, or thrown at you like an avalanche like Forza 7 or Horizon 4. That's not bad - in fact, it's quite nice to actually have to work for something and to have something to strive for. And the examples that you gave are not anything like Forza 7 (which isn't even true now considering they've now unlocked all the exclusive cars) or Horizon 4.

You do realize that there's a sense of progression involved, right? You're supposed to start from a point where you feel comfortable in terms of difficulty, and work your way up. Some may be more confident and start from Gold level and go from there, or some might start from square one at Steel and go from there.

This isn't simply locking cars behind a gate and waiting for the kind developers to unlock it. If you want it, you have to work for it. How long it takes is up to you. In the case of PGR 3, most of the concept cars, barring the GT-One and the GT90 (personally) weren't even really that great, were middling, or good in specific circumstances that could be achieved with other vehicles. Plus, the open ended nature of the races meant that you didn't have to be locked in to a car class for a race or Arcade chapter like PGR 4.

I really get the sense that you're pissed that nothing is handed to you other then the bare essentials like they are in most modern sim racing games, or thrown at you like an avalanche like Forza 7 or Horizon 4. That's not bad - in fact, it's quite nice to actually have to work for something and to have something to strive for. And the examples that you gave are not anything like Forza 7 (which isn't even true now considering they've now unlocked all the exclusive cars) or Horizon 4.

Oh. I'm sorry. I put something negative about it in there and, this being the Twitter of forums, you latched on to that negativity and diarrhea'd it all over the page. I fixed, it though. Removing the negativity.

The PGR games are definatley not forgotten by me, I play one of the 4 (also metropolis racing) at least once a month. Its good to know some of the people behind the games have gone over to playground games, the series is as big of history with xbox as forza is.

another title I feel should be up there is Rallisport challenge, its a shame there was never an xbox 360 title and we only got the 2 on the OG xbox but both great games.

Id be happy if Microsoft re birthed both Rallisport and PGR using a modified forza physics engine, it would actually be more refreshing than forza 8 or horizon 5.

Oh. I'm sorry. I put something negative about it in there and, this being the Twitter of forums, you latched on to that negativity and diarrhea'd it all over the page. I fixed, it though. Removing the negativity.

Aside from the last paragraph, which was definitely a bit snippier then intended, what negativity? I'm trying to explain the rational behind the progression system, and explaining how it isn't like Forza 7 blatantly locking cars behind what essentially amounts to random chances or the Auction House.

Aside from the last paragraph, which was definitely a bit snippier then intended, what negativity?
I think you answered your own question. *facepalm*

And I consider locking cars away behind an neigh impossible difficulty level that only 3% of players have been able to get, the same as locking them behind luck and random chance 'cause...I feel like only 3% of players would be able to get those, as well. That was the point. Both are dumb. Locking content to only a small number of players is a terrible practice.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back