Pros/Cons of turbo upgrades

  • Thread starter Thread starter GT Kid
  • 10 comments
  • 1,634 views
Messages
15
Although upgrading turbo cars with stage 3 and 4 increases horespower by a large amount, it also decreases torque in the low and mid rpm ranges, and also makes control somewhat more difficult at times. So I'm wondering, will upgrading to stage 3 or 4 turbo always give quicker lap times, or does it depend largely on the track and handling characteristics of the car? It would seem that stage 2 turbo might be more beneficial on winding tracks with small straights, than stage 3 or 4, because the torque and handling isnt effected, but then again I dont really know much about the physics of cars, so any clarification would be appreciated. Thanks.
 
Thanks. I just wasn't sure if i knew what I was talking about... i guess i should have more faith in myself.
 
Using a stage 3 or 4 turbo is only useful if you completely upgrade the drivetrain, and gear the car short. Otherwise, the lag will be a HUGE problem. (Option Z, I'm looking in your direction)
 
If its a tuner car (I mean like 350Z or Skyline) go to one of the brands like mines or HKS and get the original turbo upgrade. Power of a stage 4 without the lag. But like people said, gear it well and you'll be fine anyway. With my turbos I always invest in a triple clutch and racing flywheel too, better response = less lag.
 
Yeah stage 5 turbos upgrades (original)are great if your car can have them.
 
I have one big problem...handling the thing.

My 750+ bhp skyline is UTTERLY insane, it's too damn fast >:0)
 
kylehnat
Using a stage 3 or 4 turbo is only useful if you completely upgrade the drivetrain, and gear the car short. Otherwise, the lag will be a HUGE problem. (Option Z, I'm looking in your direction)
yes Option Z has some turbo lag issues
u have to wait around till 6K RPM for it to kick up
 
Crayola
If its a tuner car (I mean like 350Z or Skyline) go to one of the brands like mines or HKS and get the original turbo upgrade. Power of a stage 4 without the lag. But like people said, gear it well and you'll be fine anyway. With my turbos I always invest in a triple clutch and racing flywheel too, better response = less lag.



I got a Scooby from the used car lot, spent about 200k on it and it flies, one of my favourite cars. I got the original turbo and it rocks, loads of power and no lag. Strange that its my favourite car out of a big garage, including the JGTC 350z, fairlady 350z, Nissan Skyline nismo JGTC car and various tuner cars.
 
Crayola
If its a tuner car (I mean like 350Z or Skyline) go to one of the brands like mines or HKS and get the original turbo upgrade. Power of a stage 4 without the lag.

Thanks for the tip, I wasn't aware of this.
 
It also depends on the track, if you a racing on paris george V, then you may want to use NA tune or a low stage turbo, if your at midfield, level 5 or original is the best choice.
 
Back