pro's 'n' con's

  • Thread starter Thread starter HumptyMoo
  • 19 comments
  • 1,630 views
Messages
52
Ultimately I am disappointed with GT5, my reasons both for and against are below. My disclaimer is I own every GT game out there and only GT5 disappointed me (personal expectations):

Pro's

Handling is the best out there that I have tried. (very big pro!)

The premium cars are very nice.

Special events are fun to a point, not great though, as they are scripted (borderline con)

I've had fun with the license's and some of the a-spec races

Con's

No force feedback settings, deadzone adjustment etc

scripted races, not AI battles, learn how to get past the script and nothing changes to keep you guessing, pure script, AI would change each race, license etc.

automatic, traction control and abs make no difference in the 1000m stopping license.

GT pro wheel users get a benefit where they can change brake bias, if you set front to 10 you win easily where normal users won't.

top gear test track is rolling start, how will i test the stig? BIG PROBLEM!!!

I have no online public challenges like GT5p

I can not change my standard cars wheels and they look ....bad

B-spec, I want to race.

I love the series but I don't yet love this installation, please state your problems here so we can get them realised. This is not a flame thread, this is a "please help us make GT5 amazing" thread

From my own personal point of view. Yours will differ.

Cheers, Moo
 
pros: its out lol
premium cars cock pit are awesome
i love the menu music and dealerships
custom soundtrack so i can race to my own tunes
weather effects
day/night

cons:
course editor i wish it was like modnation racers
standard cars aren't as detailed as the premium. they're just imports from gt4
b-spec mode is not that exciting
took 6 years to come out
favorite courses are missing such as Seattle new york midfield etc.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I don't like that I can't adjust each gear ratio and rear end ratio.

I'd like to set it up exactly how my mustang is. But I can't I have to adjust top speed? Grr
 
Everyone was expecting perfection. Expectations rarely align with reality.

I am happy with Gran Turismo. It is eating up as much of my time as I expected. It's so amazingly not different from the previous iterations, but I loved those that came before, so why shouldnt I love this one?.

A lot of the Con's that people are complaining about are not fundemental to the Gran Turismo experience. In fact, many of them are easily fixable with a patch.

Think of Gran Turismo as your girlfriend... she may have some flaws but your being selfish if you dont see past them for what she really is. (Too bad our women cant recieve patches!!)

This game is better then any other on the market, regardless of what the press says. That's not to say we shouldnt bitch a little bit, thats the only real way to get PD's attention.
 
Yea but the gear ratio thing has been availible in 1,2,3,4,5p
 
Everyone was expecting perfection. Expectations rarely align with reality.

I am happy with Gran Turismo. It is eating up as much of my time as I expected. It's so amazingly not different from the previous iterations, but I loved those that came before, so why shouldnt I love this one?.

A lot of the Con's that people are complaining about are not fundemental to the Gran Turismo experience. In fact, many of them are easily fixable with a patch.

Think of Gran Turismo as your girlfriend... she may have some flaws but your being selfish if you dont see past them for what she really is. (Too bad our women cant recieve patches!!)

This game is better then any other on the market, regardless of what the press says. That's not to say we shouldnt bitch a little bit, thats the only real way to get PD's attention.

Your first sentence hit the nail on the head.
 
I don't get your problem with B-spec. If you want to race, do A-spec. B-spec is SUPPOSED to be different than you actually racing.



And how do the standard cars look bad? Graphics wise on the outside, they look exactly the same. The only exterior differences are the blacked out windows. If you showed somebody who knows nothing about Gran Turismo a standard and premium car, same model and both with blacked out windows, they wouldn't be able to tell the difference.
 
The only thing I can think of is no "Best Lap" time after each race, to compare yourself and others in the race.
 
And how do the standard cars look bad? Graphics wise on the outside, they look exactly the same.

Sorry, but this is just wrong. Anyone with a normal set of eyes can see the difference.
 
I don't get your problem with B-spec. If you want to race, do A-spec. B-spec is SUPPOSED to be different than you actually racing.

The thing with B-spec is that in GT5 is something you HAVE to do in order to get completion, in GT4 you could do any race in either A or B-spec.
 
Look, I hate GT5 for abandoning hardcore people like myself. They make Top Gears testing facility, but you cannot test 400/1000 meter times like in past GT games. Also, no where to test top speed, not hard making a straight road in a desert and remembering top speeds by the car. Keep a top 25 like the last games, or even extend to top 50. They also could have added more tests. They didn't even make it automated where you know the times for the curious. GT5 is empty in other features but racing. No where to take your attention to relax or have fun. I was also sure since the Top Gear track was in, you can trap lap speeds per car just like the old tests. Standing lap just like the Stig and it would capture the times. But all these record features are gone totally, as they think no one liked it.

And lets be honest, I think PD should have said be are making it so you can have wheels on all cars, and to be patient. I would have been okay wit this, but no news on anything. Features are done for. I feel like they only will fix bad glitches, improve online, and add DLC cars (maybe tracks). Everything else will be ignored, and I fear this lack of care. Everything is about online now, and as one person who doesn't play online much, I want rich features in the main mode.

Sad they don't care about what I thought they did in the past 4 games..
 
I love it except for the lack of the test track!!

I am baffled as to why they didn't include it. Throughout the series it's been one of the most useful features, and they just dropped it??

Still cant stop playing it tho... :)
 
Think of Gran Turismo as your girlfriend... she may have some flaws but your being selfish if you dont see past them for what she really is. (Too bad our women cant recieve patches!!)

I think the closer analogy is "Think of Gran Turismo as that hooker you paid for last week... she may have some flaws, but that's all you get for $60, if you dont see past them you'll never have sex. Just try and look past the STDs and be glad she doesn't have a penis" :p
 
Everyone was expecting perfection. Expectations rarely align with reality.

I am happy with Gran Turismo. It is eating up as much of my time as I expected. It's so amazingly not different from the previous iterations, but I loved those that came before, so why shouldnt I love this one?.

A lot of the Con's that people are complaining about are not fundemental to the Gran Turismo experience. In fact, many of them are easily fixable with a patch.

Think of Gran Turismo as your girlfriend... she may have some flaws but your being selfish if you dont see past them for what she really is. (Too bad our women cant recieve patches!!)

This game is better then any other on the market, regardless of what the press says. That's not to say we shouldnt bitch a little bit, thats the only real way to get PD's attention.

While I agree with your for the most part, I'm still sort of disappointed with GT5. If you think about GT5, its almost like a 1 big demo. It feels incomplete. They said 1000 cars, but that was misleading as well all know. Then the game lacks quantity in the wrong areas. Car customization is severly limited, and your lucky to get 2 body kits for some of the premiums. The race mod looks kind of sketchy, I mean they have a whole icon in GT auto, and only 15 cars get the treatment? Not to mention that at least they could have allowed standards to get the same wheel treatment as in GT4?

And then don't get me started on the bad design decisions. The whole paint chip collecting thing is kind of stupid. Why didn't they just give us a pallete? The Top Gear tie in sucks, plain and simple. Some very memorable older GT tracks didn't make the cut. The online just isn't very well thought out as much as PD would have liked and advertised.

At the end of the day, GT5 is one of the best, and in many ways, the most incomplete game I have ever played. Its like its got one foot in the last gen console, 1 foot in the next gen console. Maybe the detail in premiums wasn't worth it. Also, with a 6 year, 60 mil dev cycle, is it a surprise people had such high hopes?
 
Well it's a funny one for me. you see it wouldn't matter how many cons there were because it will always be the perfect game for me because I love cars and the driving experience is spot on.

I will admit though that some of the new features don't quite hit the mark and some areas even seem to have even taken a step back from GT4. The whole standard/premium thing bugs me a bit and things like karting and samba buses only detract from the experience in my opinion.

I also would have liked more tracks and more tuning possibilities but I would be happy even if I only had one track (The Nordschleife) and half a dozen cars to drive on it because I'm only in it for the driving.

I can definitaly understand how some people could come away disappointed though
 
Only problems for me so far:

lack of leaderboards( i know they will come eventually so no biggie)
Can't change individual gear ratios..
 
Back