PS2 disc noisy & gives RSOD - help!

United States
Wasilla, AK
I finally got a copy of Tokyo Xtreme Racer Zero today... and when I put it in my PS2 (slim model with a flip-open disc tray), it made a clackety noise while trying to read the disc, then gave me the red screen of death. Wiping the disc off with alcohol didn't help. No other disc does this. My PS3 won't even recognize the presence of a disc inside it with this disc, but I'm not even sure if it was backwards-compatible in the first place. Its drive, too, seems noisier with this disc inside.

Did I get 0wn3d with a bad/pirate disc?

The disc does seem slightly thicker and heavier than another PS2 disc I have on hand, and it almost sounds like it's scraping on something in the PS2 - but then when I compare them side by side, they look exactly the same thickness.

The disc does seem slightly thicker and heavier than another PS2 disc I have on hand, and it almost sounds like it's scraping on something in the PS2 - but then when I compare them side by side, they look exactly the same thickness.
I can't say anything about that.

Yes, according to a micrometer the disc does indeed have a very slight thick spot, which could explain the rapid, clock-regular clacking and the fact that nothing can read it.

Nothing to do but send it back, I guess.

Back