PS2 Linux (for the geeks)

• Thread starter LoudMusic
  • 25 comments
United States
Everywhere
A Review, which happens to currently be /.'ed. Here is the text:

A Trolltech employee once said he wouldn't consider Linux a success until his mother was running it. I don't think the Mom Test is necessarily a fair one, but I get his point: When Linux penetrates the average user's home or office, it will have passed a significant milestone. Well until Linux is ready to beat out Microsoft in the desktop, where else can Linux be a useful alternative operating enviornment for the user who is not an expert? The answer is simple - on embedded devices. So you can imagine how cool it is that Sony finally got on the CLUE bus and decided to offer a Linux Kit to the world for its Playstation 2 console unit. Previously it was only available in beta form, for japanese models. The official announcement came via cnn, you can read the article by clicking here. So what does this mean for your typical console gamer or linux enthusiast exactly? In a nutshell it means your Video Game console will also be a valid bonafied NC/AC (Network Computer/Appliance Computer) unit.
The kit consists of:

DVD-ROM containing a Linux Release specifically designed by Sony to boot the PS2
40 GByte Hard Drive

10Base-T/100 Base-TX Ethernet Interface

USB Keyboard

USB Mouse

VGA AV Connector /w HD 15 plus Stereo Audio

PS2 Linux Kit

The DVD that contains linux will ship with many packages you've grown up with linux like:

Linux Kernel

XFree86 (which means practically every single GUI application you can run from a desktop linux machine)

gcc

glibc

XFree86 on PS2

Here are a couple more images of linux running a ps2. On your left is Xscreensaver (not sure which one) and on your right is "gv" running inside WindowMaker.

I didn't list the versions of these packages because simply put, nobody but sony knows what they will decide on at release time. But expect the packages to be up-to-date. Below is the output of dmesg from the Linux Kit running off a japanese version of the playstation 2. How cool is that..

---- begin snippet from /var/log/dmesg ----
Loading R5900 MMU routines.
CPU revision is: 00002e14
Primary instruction cache 16kb, linesize 64 bytes
Primary data cache 8kb, linesize 64 bytes
Branch Prediction : on
Double Issue : on
Linux version 2.2.1 (master@linux) (gcc version 2.95.2 19991024 (release)) #94 Thu Apr 19 12:13:01 JST 2001
no initrd found
Console: colour dummy device 80x25
Calibrating delay loop... 392.40 BogoMIPS
Estimated CPU clock: 294.240 MHz
Memory: 30724k/32760k available (1216k kernel code, 752k data)
Checking for 'wait' instruction... unavailable.
POSIX conformance testing by UNIFIX
PlayStation 2 SIF BIOS: 0200
Linux NET4.0 for Linux 2.2
Based upon Swansea University Computer Society NET3.039
NET4: Unix domain sockets 1.0 for Linux NET4.0.
NET4: Linux TCP/IP 1.0 for NET4.0
IP Protocols: ICMP, UDP, TCP, IGMP
Linux IP multicast router 0.06 plus PIM-SM
Starting kswapd v 1.5
PlayStation 2 device support: GIF, VIF, GS, VU, IPU, SPR
Graphics Synthesizer revision: 00005508
Console: switching to colour PlayStation 2 Graphics Synthesizer 80x28
pty: 256 Unix98 ptys configured
Real Time Clock Driver v1.09
rtc: Digital UNIX epoch (1952) detected
usb.c: registered new driver usbdevfs
usb.c: registered new driver hub
usb.c: registered new driver usb_mouse
usb.c: registered new driver keyboard
usb-ohci.c: USB OHCI at membase 0x1f801600, IRQ 42
usb-ohci.c: GrowLocalMem 64K bytes
usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1
usb.c: USB new device connect, assigned device number 1
hub.c: USB hub found
hub.c: 2 ports detected
RAM disk driver initialized: 1 RAM disks of 10240K size
loop: registered device at major 7
PlayStation 2 IDE DMA driver
hda: ST340823A, ATA DISK drive
ide0 at 0xb4000040-0xb4000047,0xb400005c on irq 41
hda: ST340823A, 38166MB w/1024kB Cache, CHS=4865/255/63, (U)DMA
LVM version 0.8i by Heinz Mauelshagen (02/10/1999)
lvm -- Driver successfully initialized
scsi : 0 hosts.
scsi : detected total.
Partition check:
hda: hda1 hda2
VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem) readonly.
Freeing unused kernel memory: 48k freed
usb.c: USB new device connect, assigned device number 2
hub.c: USB hub found
hub.c: 2 ports detected
usb.c: USB new device connect, assigned device number 3
keybdev.c: Adding keyboard: input0
input0: USB HIDBP keyboard
usb.c: USB new device connect, assigned device number 4
input1: USB HIDBP mouse
PlayStation 2 Sound driver
Adding Swap: 136516k swap-space (priority -1)
eth0: MAC address 00:04:1f:ff:fa:bc
eth0: Auto-negotiation complete. 100Mbps Full duplex mode.
PlayStation 2 SMAP(Ethernet) device driver is loaded.

---- end snippet from /var/log/dmesg ----
Now with all this one has to think of what you can't do with a ps2 running linux. Well a couple things actually. Don't expect you can pop in any of your self-made CD's into it. This isn't an OSI issue as much as it is a hardware-level one. The Playstation2's CD-ROM drive is unable to read normal data CD-ROMs. Special Playstation2-CDs can be created so that PCs can read them, but not vice versa, simliar to the GD-ROMs for the Dreamcast that can't be created on a CD-R.

Another common question is how will Linux boot on the Playstation2? All the software in the world, regardless if it's runnable object code or source code with the most advanced compiler, is worthless if it can't be loaded into memory on the target machine and made to execute on the CPU. The perfect Linux system for the Playstation2 wouldn't make any sense at all, if it couldn't be booted.

The boot process is one of the crown jewels of copy-protection in the game console business. Since only the console manufacturer knows how to manufacture bootable media, and probably is the only one with the manufacturing technology, game creators must license the technology. The console manufacturer earns from the royalties for this licensing, not thesale of the hardware. Actually it's very common that the console manufacturer is losing money each and every time one of their consoles is sold. This is how the traditional game business works. Don't expect Sony to give away the secret of how the Playstation2 boot.

Linux will likely not boot directly off a self-made CD-ROM, nor from the optional harddrive unit, since no technical details about the port are currently known except a couple rumors, I'm going to speculate here and list some of the possibilities:

depend on the boot loader (like LILO or grub) stored on a memory card, similar to the DVD player driver updates they distributed early on
require a CD/DVD-ROM sold by Sony as an "authentication" mechanism
require some special hardware so it could be booted from an external source (think of disk-less machines with root over NFS)
only boot from the "official" CD that Sony sells. eg. Custom kernels unsupported. (The freedom to compile a custom kernel and freely boot it is very important. I honestly hope that Sony makes a decision which would be acceptable by the community as well as not risk their business model)
In anycase, any "boot loader" would most likely be proprietary closed-source. We just have to accept this. The BIOS of any common PC that boots the operating system is proprietary, too.

In short, I bought a Sony Playstation 2 unit with no intention of running any OS off it. I purchased it simply because its the coolest console video game unit I've ever seen and the game developement for it will be long-standing. The fact it also acts as a DVD player was a plus for sure. But when they tossed up the idea of throwing Linux on it, obviously because Microsoft's Xbox is going to bridge the gap between PC/console, I see endless possibilities now. Keep in mind this linux kit isn't a 'developers-only' package. This is going to be the interface that every ps2 user who wants to get online or treat his ps2 like a PC, will be using. Alot of wincentric folks are going to see linux for the first time, in all its glory and I wouldn't be suprised if some people will forever associate linux as "that video game OS." Any attention is better than none :-)

With images:

ps2linux_screenshot.jpg

ps2linux_contents.jpg

I'm buying it as soon as it hits the stores. If they sell a "PS2 Linux Complete Package" I might buy that too, just to support the cause. This is the greatest thing to happen to Linux since .... well Dell and IBM adopting it as a server OS sure helped too (:

~LoudMusic

Probably not very well if at all. The PS2 is only 300 megahertz, and while that sounds ok, it also includes all graphical processing in that, and I believe audio as well. That's a heck of alot of strain to put on one chip with software designed to run on 3. We shall see though...

Originally posted by PaulAplin
Will the PS2 handle emulating PC games?

There is a software package for Linux called Wine, Windows Emulator. It does a pretty good job emulating games. But like Tom said, it will be a bit of a strain for the hardware.

There is, however, quite a selection of games written native for Linux.

~LoudMusic

Originally posted by LoudMusic

There is a software package for Linux called Wine, Windows Emulator. It does a pretty good job emulating games. But like Tom said, it will be a bit of a strain for the hardware.

There is, however, quite a selection of games written native for Linux.

~LoudMusic

Most first person shooters written with OpenGL for example :)

Well...I don't know...what exactly are you going to do with Linux on PS2 that you can't do faster on a real computer? :confused:

Originally posted by Jordan
Well...I don't know...what exactly are you going to do with Linux on PS2 that you can't do faster on a real computer? :confused:

You could ... not be funding the Evil Empire. DOWN WITH MICROSOFT! (:

Also, Linux on a PS2 plugged into a television would be much cheaper than any other 'game worthy' computer that I can think of.

~LoudMusic

You could ... not be funding the Evil Empire. DOWN WITH MICROSOFT! (:

Also, Linux on a PS2 plugged into a television would be much cheaper than any other 'game worthy' computer that I can think of.

~LoudMusic
OK then... :D

I feel as though I'm being mocked. My geekness is hurt.

~LoudMusic

I don't know if this is what you meant, but that "yes" was only for Linux on PS2. It had nothing to do with anything you had said. :)

Originally posted by risingson77

I don't know if this is what you meant, but that "yes" was only for Linux on PS2. It had nothing to do with anything you had said. :)

Ahhhh ... now I am truely lost.

Are there any other Linux supporters at GTPlanet? Am I all alone? Surely not ...

~LoudMusic

Linux - I would be most pleased to hear the day when Linux becomes the standard for Video Games. Give me an effecient system with loads of hardware to supports and watch the FPS go from 96 to 428. :eek:

If all games were Linux based, I could be freed from the evil that resides in my computer today.

As far as PS2 based? I would probably stay away from, just because I have a computer that would handle it better, but for those with only a PS2, this could be a great idea and good strategy on Sony's part.

Ahhhh ... now I am truely lost.

Are there any other Linux supporters at GTPlanet? Am I all alone? Surely not ...

~LoudMusic

I am not knowlegable in such area's, but rest assured you are not alone. :D

Hey, has anyone gotten the Linux package? I'd be curious to know what a gamer thought of it. I'm not a programmer by any stretch of the imagination, but I still think it could be fun to mess around with. I could use it as a "web kiosk" at the TV. And the hardware is actually a good buy for the money.

~LoudMusic

I feel as though I'm being mocked. My geekness is hurt.

~LoudMusic

Would it make you feel better if I'd buy you this T-shirt?

linux-v2.jpg

Or this one?

lg-scan-my-network.jpg

Ohhh it HURTS to read this thread! It absolutley HURTS!

To answer basically all of the questions that have been beeten to DEATH over at the ps2linux site, here are the answers:

Can in emulate computer games?
If you're referring to anything run on an x86processor, NO. Not unless it was made for a 286/386 computer, otherwise it'll be TOO SLOW! People have played Doom, and that doesn't run at full speed. Nor does the original Quake

Is it in any stores?
NO! You have to buy it from Sony's PS website.

Is it for everyone?
No! It's not for little kids or people who will only use it for word-processing or internet browsing unless you don't have a PC.

Can I hook it up to my network?
YES! You can use it as you would a computer, but make sure that the programs you run are for the processor of the unit and for Linux.

Can I run all of my Linux programs from my PC on it?
Nope. Once again, look at the type of processors.

Can I play any games online with yet yet?
Yep! I can acknowledge that Tony Hawk3 is internet equiped. I'm not sure about any others yet.

Can I run my PS2 Linux Kit on a TV?
Yeah, but only after you install it USING A MONITOR SUPPORTING THE SincOnGreen command!

Can I play my PS2 games on my computer monitor?
Um, no. There's no games out yet for PS2(excluding the Linux games) that run on that viewing format.

I don't mean to sound like I'm bashing the kit, but I use to spend a lot of time at the PS2Linux forums and this gets on my nerves now...

In fact, if I could, I would buy a Linux Kit, but seeing that I have no credit card and my parents are reluctant, I can't get one.

Originally posted by risingson77
So...what is the Linux kit good for? It's beginning to sound like Yaroze to me...

It's for developers, mostly. They're trying to create a larger market of programmers who know the system. That way when it's time for the game manufacturers to hire a flock of new coders, they'll actually be a group of kids out there who know the system.

I'm not a developer - I'm a computer guy. I would want the Linux kit so I could have a computer connected to my entertainment setup. I could use it to play mp3s with visualization on the TV, or play divx movies. It also would make a nice web browser AT the television. Like WebTV with a bad ass system.

The points about it not being able to run stuff that was for a "PC" aren't wholey true. The binaries just have to be compiled for the PS2. So if you have the source, you're good to go, in most cases.

~LoudMusic

The points about it not being able to run stuff that was for a "PC" aren't wholey true. The binaries just have to be compiled for the PS2. So if you have the source, you're good to go, in most cases.

~LoudMusic

Dude, do you go the the PS2Linux forums? If so, what's your SN? I havn't been there for a while(over a month), so I probably missed a lot of what's going on there.

But the thing about the source is that you have to optimize it so much, that most of the time it's not practical, and you should just completley re-write it.

Back