PS2 Memory Card Adaptor for PS3 and GT4 Replays

• Thread starter HoffY
  • 11 comments
HoffY
HoffY BFE
Hi,

First up, i'm not sure where this post should fit so i guessed here. hopefully the mods dont get up me if they feel it doesn't fit.

ok on with the problem...

I have finally got hold of the adapter to copy my PS2 memory cards to my PS3. I only have it on hire and it goes back tomorrow. I have noticed a problem when checking my GT4 replays when played on the PS3. Once i copied the data from my PS2 Memory Card and fired up GT4 on my PS3 to test my replays they started off ok and as expected. But then one, two, maybe three corners into the replay the cars would just stop, go spastic/silly and all sorts of things. Mostly unexciting and most definitely NOT what the replay is.

I thought perhaps it was that my PS2 card was a third party one and i heard that the adapter doesn't handle them well and can corrupt data. And that perhaps this is what happened. So i grabbed my brother's two cards sand copied his GT4 stuff onto my PS3 to test. Fired GT4 up and loaded a replay. Same thing. So that can't be it. Checked the files sizes of a single replay data and they are listed as teh same sizes. So i'm thinking its a PS3 compatibility thing with the PS2 game, GT4.

Has anyone experienced this at all aside from me? And is there a fix or workaround or simply am i doing something wrong?

I was really hoping i could backup my GT3/4 data for safe keeping and even for replay ability once my PS2 wont work (or i get rid of it so i can use my PS3 for the task is my ideal situation, which i can't do as something is a-miss).

Thanks all.
-HoffY

I have my PS2 cards copied onto my PS3 as well but I haven't played GT4 yet or looked at any replays. I'll try to remember to do that tonight. If I have time, maybe during lunch in about 2 hours.

sorry to butt in here, where do you get the memory card adaptors cos i have a serious amount of jazz from GT3 i would love to put onto my PS3.

Thanks and sorry for the hi-jack.

The replays messing up is a known issue with the PS3's BC, apparently other scenes get messed up aswell.

Nobody knows when, or if, this will be fixed, although it should be able to be fixed with a small firmware upgrade later down the line.

From,
Chris.

Hmm ok. Well that sucks as you can bet it'll never get fixed and render the whole exersize of backwards compatibility as worthless.

So does this there is nothing wrong with the files that are copied, its just an incompatibility in the reading and rendering of those files? in other words, they aren't corrupt and its safe to keep them as a back up etc on the PS3? :)

If anyone has seen any other discussions on this issue on any other forums etc please post the linkage, it'd be appreciated.

Hmm ok. Well that sucks as you can bet it'll never get fixed and render the whole exersize of backwards compatibility as worthless.

So does this there is nothing wrong with the files that are copied, its just an incompatibility in the reading and rendering of those files? in other words, they aren't corrupt and its safe to keep them as a back up etc on the PS3? :)

If anyone has seen any other discussions on this issue on any other forums etc please post the linkage, it'd be appreciated.
Yes the replays are not corrupt and its okay.

All you can do is report this to sony.

The PS3 is not actually perfect. If I am understanding your whine correctly, GT4 replays created on the PS2 do not play properly when viewed on the PS3....correct?

Why don't you run a race while actually PLAYING GT4 on the PS3, save that replay, and try again. If the problem persists....call Sony. If they can't help out, get the other system....it's PERFECT for someone of your ilk.

The replays messing up is a known issue with the PS3's BC, apparently other scenes get messed up aswell.

Nobody knows when, or if, this will be fixed, although it should be able to be fixed with a small firmware upgrade later down the line.

From,
Chris.

You're bang on the money there Wallrunner. It's a problem with the Backwards Compatability.

However, this problem should hopefully stop soon as Sony is rumoured to have been working on full software based emulation (e.g. it doesn't need the PS2s EE or GS chips). This has been reported on several website but it was a couple of weeks ago so it's dropped from their news threads.

I'd imagine that it would be distributed as part of a future firmware update which would then allow the owner of ANY PS3 console to play through their old games.

Not a problem for me because i've got a 60Gb but i know a fair few people who hope it comes before June so they can play through MGS1-3 before MGS4 on June 12th.

Hope this helps clear it up for you all slightly

The PS3 is not actually perfect. If I am understanding your whine correctly, GT4 replays created on the PS2 do not play properly when viewed on the PS3....correct?

Why don't you run a race while actually PLAYING GT4 on the PS3, save that replay, and try again. If the problem persists....call Sony. If they can't help out, get the other system....it's PERFECT for someone of your ilk.

OK firstly. What is your problem? I never "whined" about anything. I have no "ilk". Get out of the wrong side of the bed this morning? Go and give someone else a hard time that deserves it. If people of your ilk would keep their traps shut this world would be a much nicer place.

If you actually read my genuine post about a genuine issue i've run into about playing EXISTING replays you'd realise "PLAYING GT4 on the PS3" and saving a reply has no relation to this at all.

Thank you to the many people that posted genuine, kind, and normal ontopic replies. Much appreciated. By the sounds of it there is a chance it may be fixed in the future. If only by means of better software emulation. My PS2 is in great condition so it should easily be around (and work) long enough to see if we can get better emulation via software and hopefully this bug fixed in the process.

If I am understanding your whine correctly

it's PERFECT for someone of your ilk.
That was uncalled for, and the suggestion to 'call Sony' wasn't very helpful either. It was a legitimate question, after all. Please keep any responses civil.

Back