PS2 Price Drop Announced

• Thread starter ethanol
  • 12 comments
Well, let the price wars begin!

Sony cuts hardware, peripheral prices. Could an all-out price war be next?

http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories/news/0,10870,2865329,00.html

For those that don't want to read the short article (which is really lazy...)

Sony announced a price drop yesterday. Down to $199 USD. Controllers will also be dropping by $10, and they are considering dropping the price of games as well.

Microsoft is expected to announce a price drop later this month at E3.

The PS2 is already listed as 199.99 on EBgames.com. I was surprised to see this, as I had just read that it was going to drop, and didn't think it had already happened.

100 dollars is quite a drop too, I wonder what the Xbox is going to do to compete...

Damn so i guess they did go ahead and did this. I first read a few weeks ago that they will not drop there price. Then all of a sudden yesterday i found out that they are going to drop the price only by $50 but not likely $100. Wow thats cool man. They really did drop the price as much as they did.

Yeah I just saw this on the Atlanta news. PS2 is whooping XBOX and they were the same price. Now PS2 will really kill XBOX. 😈

just thought I would add some info here...

There is 2 reasons for the PS2 price drop...

#1, Sony finally broke even on the PS2 development and manufacturing costs, thus any money made from future sales is just icing on the cake to them.

#2, Sony found a way to combine the FPU (floating processor unit) and the emotion engine into one chip thus reducing the cost of manufacturing the unit substantially.

I seriously doubt that Microsoft will be able to compete with that since they haven't even come close to breaking even on the costs yet. besides the XBox sucks... hehe :)

Originally posted by Ariel29
Today I receive an email saying that the xbox drop the price too I am not sure if this is true.

Yup - the Xbox dropped in price as well.

$199 USD or $299 CAD (I'm not sure where you are)...

has anyone noticed that in a lot of the adds last sunday, the Xbox was announced as having a price drop to 199, but the PS2 still had the 299. Kinda wierd, since PS2 dropped theirs first.

Back