PS2 review:Ghost Recon

Tercel_driver

(Banned)
Great games for the people that have been following the Tom Clancy games. Personally it is my first pc to console port, but it is obvious that these guys knew what they were doing.

Basically what you are going to find when you open the box is a very thin manual (I say thin, because for a game like this, a larger and more extensive manual should have been put) and the DVD. Do not worry. You are not going to find any blue disc that is going to make constant noises while playing. Besides, the least thing you need while playing this game is any sort of distractive sound.

Ok, you open the case and see the manual. Now, dont bother to read it, there is an in-game controller set-up and tutorials already in the game. Besides the ps2 manual is a xerox of the pc version which has very innacurate information. For example: the manual includes a fire toggle mode, which the ps2 version doesnt have.

Now lets get into the game. It begins with the actual Ubisoft and Redstorm logo display followed shortly by the game's intro. Intro is pretty impressive and it shows you the reason of the Ghost's presence on Russia. You get a blue loading screen, that lasts like 15 seconds, which after that takes you to the main menu.

Main menu is pretty simple. Just press start and the game will look for a ps2 mem card, if you have one, just be careful of choosing the right spot, because sometimes I have found myself clicking on the wrong one. Well, after that, you are presented with the game's menu which is pretty much easy to understand. You have the choice to play single which includes creating a new campaign or going into quick missions (quick missions are unlocked once you finish a certain mission from both the Russian and Desert Campaign). Then you have the multiplayer option and options that let you change the sound level, screen position and have the option of chosing between stereo and surround sound.

You click into campaign and you begin the mission debrief with a nice commentary about what you need to do and look for. You are present with three objectives and an extra one which has the letter "x". Finish the first three and you finish the mission. Finish the extra objective ("x") and you unlock a new operative. Now I see, this is not a spoiler, and if it is, I think it is really minor, as you will always have to finish that extra objective if you want to unlock more operatives.

Soldier classes vary in between, sniper, demolitions & heavy support expert, and a rifleman. The typical Green Beret load out for a mission. Chose well and get into the mission. Inside the mission, the first difficult thing you will find is to get accustomed to the controller layout. Just spend more time on it and it will get easy into you.

Once on the battlefield, press there is a map mode which you enter by pressing your l1 button. There you have three stance modes. advance, advance at all costs and hold, followed by the shooting stance mode which are supress, assault & recon.

Planning goes on the go, as you can quickly toggle to the map mode and give the orders there, by using the x button to pingpoint the position or by giving them on the fly with the r3 button. Just aim for the place, press the r3 button and they will follow orders.

If you are having trouble, just get into the tutorial or tactical missions which vary in between search&rescue a hostage, defend, blow a tank, firefight and demolition objectives. Just be sure to spend some time especially on the "blow the tank ones" because those are the thoughest (sp?).

When you finish the mission, the soldiers receive an extra point which you can use to upgrade whether F(iring),E(ndurance),L(eadership), and S(tealth). Just be wise to spend the points on the exact categories. Ex: a sniper will be better if you increase the firing option and stealth, unlike the demolitions need more firing and endurance. The soldiers that were KIA (killed in action) will stay dead till the end of the campaign. Just like real life. Pretty harsh detail but this game shoots for realism.

Get to the main menu and you can go to the special features screen in which you can see what you have unlocked. New operatives info, guns, movies, screens.

Once you are done with a mission, you can chose to replay it on a different game mode by clicking on quick mission. There you have the option to play it on a different difficulty level and mode, which are firefight (kill all the terrorists), recon (get to the objective safe&sound) and mission, in which you can replay the mission.

Graphics are pretty good. You will see very well on sunlight, but not so well on night and fog. Want to increase your eyesight?, turn on your nightvision and surprisingly it turns out to be very useful, unlike previous r6 games. You will have a thought time trying to distinguish your foes as they tend to hide really well, blending with their camouflages, especially on the first mission. It becomes harder on more difficult levels as they try to flank you from every possible side.

Soldiers are well rendered, as the weapons. Sound is crisp. You will hear the sound that your footsteps do while walking on the forest, the chatting of the enemy, the rain and thunder and the sound of an upcoming tank which that either means hide or run.

I liked the game. I give it a 9. The only bad thing is that you get to carry two teams instead of three, but the third team doesnt make a big difference. The only thing that makes the difference is your planning and execution.

I dont think there is anything else to explain here, just always watch your back and the ones from your operatives, never send them to a place unless you are sure they are on the advantage shooting position. THats it. Have fun.
;)
platform_boxart_ps2.jpg

This is a pretty good review. I've been looking to get one of these Tom Clancy games that everyone is so hyped up about, Splinter Cell I think it was.

Good review, but try and make it a little more organized. I kind of got lost in there.

OA

I've played it on PS2 (a friend owns it) and I've played it on XBox (I own it, and have completed it). I prefer it on XBox because there are things it does that make more sense. Though there are some cool features on the PS2 as well - like the proximity indicator is more detailed. I'd like to play it on PC so I can compare the full spectrum.

Right now, I would take the XBox version over the PS2 version in a heartbeat.

and pc over both....
i dont think i could play a game like that on console. there are too many modders and such out there. youd miss out on too much

Yes. The PC version is much more superior. The console versions hold your hand the whole way through. You have to play it on PC to fully see what I mean.

If you guys liked this game you should try one of the game from the Delta Force Series (for PC) by Novalogic, the best in war sims. I would Reccomend Delta Force: Land Warrior or when it comes out, Delta Force: Black Hawk Down. Both have a free online Multiplayer where you can play on either their servers or on a public server (where someone else hosts). If you play on their server you can gain rankings and medals but you have to use their maps, if you go to the public server people have their own maps or some they made/downloaded. There are different game types too like deathmatch (everyman for himself), team deathmatch, capture the flag, search and destroy and so on. I reallr really highly reccomend them...

Back