[PS3] BluRay lipsync issue.

DaveTheStalker

Vinyl Addict
Premium
United States
Michigan
DaveTheStalker
This is a new issue on my PS3.

Within the last couple of months, my PS3 has developed a bad lipsync issue while playing BluRay and DVDs. I've changed HDMI inputs on my receiver to see if I might have a bad input. The sync is not abnormal while playing video files, such as trailers from PSN or on my DVR. It's become such a hassle to adjust this every time I watch a disc. My AVR doesn't set lipsync for each video input, it's global. I use the TV speakers to sync it by adjusting until the echo is gone and both AVR & TV speakers are matched.

The normal offset is about 70ms milliseconds. While playing discs on the PS3, I need to bump it up to over 120ms. Like I said, this is a fairly new issue on this PS3. I can't find a setting on the PS3 that I think might be causing it. I have always just used the automatic AV settings with every PS3 I have had.

Would restoring the PS3 OS perhaps correct this? I don't have any dialog heavy games to see if the sync is also affecting games.

I'm using a White Super Slim PS3 purchased in Feb., with a Yamaha RX-A710 in either 7.1 or 5.1, whichever is available on the disc.

Last edited:
It goes without saying, I turn the TV speakers down. My AVR allows audio and video to pass through if I don't want to use the system.

The sync problem is still there even when using Pure Direct mode. Pure Direct uses no sound processing at all, shuts off the LFE, front display on the AVR, and even audio pass through.

Set your "TV" video mode to "Game". That worked on my TV and a friends of another brand. "Game" disables any video processing the TV does to enhance quality and visuals. I was playing for 2 years with no idea I was playing with TV lag. Try that, worked for me. I only noticed the lag when I hooked my PC up to my TV and the mouse had a nasty delay and Rockband was totally unplayable. Now its perfect.

If it was because f'k video processing, it would have been doing it for years. And it would also affect sync with the TV speakers. I don't have to change the millisecond setting while watching Netflix, Amazon Prime, EPIX, videos downloaded from the store or copied from my laptop via the media server.

My son brought over his PS3 SS, I'll be comparing shortly.

It turns out the PS4 needs less lipsync correcting than my DVR, let alone the nearly double my PS3's require!

Let me ask you this, what is the precise processing delay on your TV? You can test this out by using the calibration test on Rock Band 2.

Here is where it gets real technical.

As a frame of reference, a frame in a fighting game is 8ms. Why am I bringing up fighting games in the middle of a movie discussion? Simple. Fighting games are the most precise genre as far as input timing, and any form of lag in a fighter could spell victory or defeat if you make or break that one frame combo.

- A TV with less than 8ms of delay (as measured by Rock Band 2,) is considered lagless.
- A TV with 9 to 16ms of delay have anywhere from a one to two frame delay. It isn't noticeable unless you are trained to notice it.
- Any TV that has more than 17ms of delay is considered unacceptable and shouldn't be considered for use in fighters or otherwise.

Another issue that could spring up is how you connect your PS3 to your TV. When you connect your PS3 through a secondary device (like a cable box for example), that would naturally add more lag to the TV. Nintendo, actually solves the issue by disabling downloadable games from even playing on a Wii that is connected in this fashion due to the added lag that it would cause. I would try to direct connect the PS3 to the TV and see if that would help.

Everything goes into the Yamaha RX-A710 receiver and then to the TV. A few software versions ago, I noticed an incredible lag while watching BluRay and DVD movies, not "file" format videos (like from PSN or my own mkv converts or avi files, or Netflix, or EPIX, or Amazon Instant Streaming).

Testing with Rock Band will introduce some sort of human and controller lag.

So, to summarize, while using my DVR, Netflix, Amazon, EPIX, files copied to the PS3 using Universal Media Server (based on PS3 Media Server), videos downloaded from the PSN Store, they all have about a 40ms offset. But BluRay & DVD need to be around 120ms on two of our PS3's (slim & super slim (started about mid summer). The PS4 has the same offset as the other sources, same HDMI cable and input.

SONY blames the receiver and my TV, Yamaha blames the PS3's or the TV (Pioneer Kuro). Based on my findings, the problem is with the PS3's.

The common denominator is the TV(according to the customer service calls). Have you tested a PS3 set up through the Yamaha with another TV(brand if possible), and if so, was there any noticeable improvement?

Just thinking outside the box, could it be your laser / console going?

Best thing to do is try someone elses PS3 on your setup and see if it still happens.

The common denominator is the TV(according to the customer service calls). Have you tested a PS3 set up through the Yamaha with another TV(brand if possible), and if so, was there any noticeable improvement?
No, not yet. I would test with both of our PS3's when I'm able to. The PS4 does not have the same unusually high offset as both PS3's.

Just thinking outside the box, could it be your laser / console going?

Best thing to do is try someone elses PS3 on your setup and see if it still happens.
We have a Slim and a Super Slim in our house. The offset is exactly the same on both units. My son had brought over his SS, when we went to plug it in, his PSU died. He should
He getting it back any day now.

I strongly recommend sending video direct to the tv with hdmi, and audio (via optical) to your avr using an audio only input. I also recommend getting a dedicated blu ray player. They are so cheap now, will relieve your PS3 laser of unnecessary work, and allow you to still have easy access to hd audio for movies.

Without the stand alone bd player you could either stick with the compressed audio for movies, or switch hdmi cables depending on if you are watching a movie or playing a game.

There is no setting on my avr that allows video to pass through without lag, despite the fact that it is supposed to be possible. If you are currently playing games through your avr, you might experience a marked improvement in regards to lag if video goes direct.

Watching my son play B4 on PS4, there isn't any abnormal sync. As for games on the PS3's, I could try a shooter or something else at my usual lipsync offset. The "thud" when hitting something in GT5 seems to be ok, but I know that's not a good indicator.

Both PS3's require the same (higher) offset. Unfortunately my A710 can't set a lipsync offset for individual outputs, of course the new 2013 model does.

I'd like to be able to roll back the firmware on my PS3 to whatever it was before this past summer. Because that is when it started. I'll try connecting HDMI to the TV and optical to the AVR.

I suppose the idea is to get all lag down as low as possible, and then align the uses.

For me:
- Video and audio via hdmi through avr align, but with significant lag. Use: movies.
- Video via hdmi to plasma tv (fellow part of the Kuro master race btw) aligns with optical to Astro mixamp, with manageable lag. Use: everyday gaming.
- Analogue video and audio via component/rca to hdcrt aligns, with basically no lag. Use: serious gaming.

It is strange that if you are sending both video and audio through the same sequence and cables, that they would be out of alignment at all. Maybe there is something awry, and not just mismatched.

PS3, PS4, & Dish Hopper all go in to the AVR via HDMI, video goes out to the Kuro via HDMI.

I just noticed something kind of remarkable. The thing I was doing was using the PS4, the offset was about 45ms. I had to boost up the DVR to 86ms watching college hoops on FS1. But watching a new channel that is supposed to be 5.1 but is actually 2.0, there was slightly more offset needed to align it.

So this means, out of all of my HDMI equipment, the PS4 has the least offset. Why? I don't know. Maybe it's more efficient?

Last edited:
The sync problem is still there even when using Pure Direct mode. Pure Direct uses no sound processing at all, shuts off the LFE, front display on the AVR, and even audio pass through.

Oh yeah, and I'm assuming that what you want is the video faster and/or audio slower, so speeding up the audio (pure mode) would have only exacerbated the issue.

It seems that for some reason your avr is labouring over the video processing but also drawing it out of alignment with the audio. Regardless of the misalignment you really don't want to be playing games with that video lag on the table, so definitely test going direct to the tv.

Back