PS3 controller not charging.

Status
Not open for further replies.
United States
Bear De
moparhippy420
Hey, I really don't know where else to go since I'm not a member of any other forums site and after hours of googling I have yet to find an answer. Anyway my ps3 controller wont charge. It don't even acknowledge that a usb cable is hooked to it. No blinking lights nothing. I noticed it last night. I plugged it in while watching netflix to charge and when I checked it before I turned my system off it still showed 1 bar. So tonight I plug it in and nothing. Still shows 1 bar. I know its not the cords or my usb ports because I tested both with other things and they are charging fine. I also tried plugging the controller in to several other usb chargers that I know work and nothing. No flashing lights, no anything. I have also tried resetting the controller. Nothing. It works fine but again I have 1 bar left on my battery so its only a matter of time before its dead. Any ideas?

It may be the battery in the controller itself. The rechargeable lithium ion batteries run dry on their charge and it leaves the controller useless.

You can purchase one of these for cheap I think

th

If you can install it or have a buddy do so, it'll save you a decent amount of money. If you do get a replacement battery and plan on doing it yourself, just go on Youtube and search around for a tutorial on how to replace one. If you have questions just ask.

Good luck. And welcome to GTplanet.

Thanks. That's what I was starting to think. That after the better part of a decade (original 80GB fat) that the battery just ain't holdin a charge anymore. And changin the battery would be no problem as I have cracked open controllers before. Nothin to it. But would that keep the lights from blinking as well while plugged in? Are the leds directly connected to incoming voltage to the battery and only blink when the battery detects juice? Or is it set up to blink as soon as it detects power to the plug itself?

Disconnect the battery and plug it in again and try to use it, if it doesn't turn on then it's not the battery either as they do work without batteries, though I'm not sure if they work with dead batteries still connected.

Try a different USB cord and also try plugging in to your computer to charge (it will also charge from that). If it still doesn't work try pressing the tiny reset hole on the back of the controller. Failing that replace the internal battery which is really easy because Sony thankfully made it removable.

I'm still using my original SIXAXIS from my 60GB fatty, no noticeable lack of holding charge at all and I'm quite impressed.

Thats the interesting part.

Why is it interesting?

I have gone through many game controllers.
I think I went through 4 PS1 controllers when I was young.
Either due to just dropping on the ground, over use where the buttons would be stuck down(my first one died like this due to too much GT1) or just bent.

So no doubt he has replaced it.

Could a mod please close this thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back