[PS3] FPS issues - let's compare our setups.

• Thread starter Mr. S
  • 16 comments

What's your setup and do you have FPS issues?

• Total voters

Mr. S

Nikon Fanboy
Premium
France
Paris
So, I'd really like to know more about the sources of the FPS issues. I'm just giving it a go in Monaco and it's barely playable, almost like 2010.

This is a PS3 only thing since both the 360 and PC aren't affected by this particular issue, sorry brothers in arms. :P

I've got a fat 80gb PS3 connected to a 19" Alba TV through a cheap HDMi and the game is very smooth for me.

I still can't believe how you could go backwards from 2010....they need PD to make the car models, and let codemasters handle the physics side.

Could it be that it's related to the screen size? That wouldn't make sense but well...I'm on a 42" LG LCD. I could ask my room mate to borrow her TV for an hour or so, she's using a 32" Samsung.

@T4RG4 Steve Hood (Oct 04 2011 5pm GMT)
Patch 2 is intended to have more of a noticeable improvement and we'll be looking at FPS/Gfx issues esp for PS3 users

Last edited:
only a suggestion but you should consider the length of the hdmi cable and the catagory. I think a usb 2.0 cable would be required you could check that. you can get them really cheap like 5 bucks us

Sony Bravia 46" XBR TV
PS3 FAT, December 2006 manufacture date with upgraded 500 GB Hard Drive
Monster Cable HDMI cables
All of this hooked up through my Pioneer Elite Receiver.

FPS issues? You bet.

It all depends on the track. Some tracks are worse than others.
It also depends on game mode. If you play a GP you will see a difference in FPS compared to Time Trial.
Is the game playable? You bet. Would I consider it silky smooth? Nope, but playable.
Can FPS be improved with a PATCH? Who are we all kidding :crazy:
The PS3 is a console that receives the occasional operating system update that gives us more features and functionality. They don't release updated drivers that improve existing games performance and FPS. PC video card manufactures do that and PC drivers can improve FPS for all sorts of games in significant ways.
I'm afraid we are seeing (not in a bad way as things are what they are) the limitations of a software developer that is better at coding for one platform than the other.
I'm still enjoying the game though :) It's still fun.

PS3 Slim, 1 Year old. I have upgraded the HDD to a 250GB 7200rpm drive though...
Sony Bravia 32ex403
HDMI Cable for TV, optical out for 5.1 surround.

No FPS issues at all.. on any track or any mode..
Overall impressed with how the game looks, I dont think the graphics are bad on the PS3 version at all. Sure theyre not quite as good as on PC, and there are a few jaggies, but overall i think they're very good. When racing and moving at speed, i think it looks better than GT5...

Last edited:
only a suggestion but you should consider the length of the hdmi cable and the catagory. I think a usb 2.0 cable would be required you could check that. you can get them really cheap like 5 bucks us

Bought it in 2008 and it's HDMI 1.3 - yet, there's no HDMI 2.0 but only 1.4 atm. :)

@FMW: I'm aware of that. However, if there's a mistake in the code...yeah, it should be possible to even it out. But only if it's merely a mistake in the code not if it's really about the engine connecting to the PS3 hardware.

@joetoml1n: It's not about the looks in here, it's about the lack of FPS. It's barely playable in Monaco if you're really trying to compete with the AI drivers. It's pretty hard to push it to the limit when you're having 10 fps or less in some corners.

My roomie bought a new HDMI cable after the move, so I'll give it a go with both her 32" TV and HDMI cable and check if it's any better. I'll give you an update asap.

Im using a slim ps3 and a 42" Samsung tv and the fps and graphics in general are terrible.

I need to test it on my 32" and see the difference.......

Good to see that Steve Hood and the team are working to fix the issue 👍

Let's hope it's a coding mistake then :ouch: You would think software game developers would test, test and test some more before they release games. However, I work for a large "brand" and the pressure to release stuff as is can be immense. :guilty:

I've tested the PS3 version of the game for the first time and I was really dissapointed with it. The game itself is so LAGGY. You can see it from begging then you drive the car out of the garrage you can see its bootup process:(( For me it feels like NFS: Shift 2, it is impossible to precisely control the car on high speeds. Very very dissapointed:(((

Guys can't post a link sorry.

Article up on Eurogamer now talks about these issues.

That was a very good read and I cried right along with you :ill:The video is down though. The video I saw on Youtube however, clearly shows (to me at least) FPS differences. For me that's the biggest rub.

The article was good to point out the different ways the EGO 2 games engine implements different solutions from the Xbox to PS3. Again, did they not test, test and re-test. One thing is for sure. Codemasters has learned a fair amount of their customers are pretty sensitive to FPS. I know I am when it comes to shooting games like Battlefield and COD. COD clearly beats them all when it comes to smooth FPS on screen. Racing gamers expect no less or are at least sensitive to it. :sly:

Back