PS3 problem

• Thread starter amkobih
  • 3 comments
Bosnia and Herzegovina
somewhere
So,here's the story.

I finally got a PS3,a cousin of mine sent it to me from USA.
So,I know that the electricity is different in North America(110V,60Hz to European's 220-240V) so I used a converter,but my PS3 just won't work

After some web browsing I read that PS3's PSU is universal,so I hooked it up without the conventer,but the result was the same.

Anyway,instead of explaining the problem,here's the video

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you.

That is not really telling me the whole picture. I'm going to quote Wikipedia for a reference:

The power supply can operate on both 60 Hz and 50 Hz power grids. It uses a standard IEC 60320 C14 (IEC 60320 C8 for the PS3 slim) connector and a C13 (C7 for the PS3 slim) power cord appropriate for the region it is being used in. The power supply on the "fat" model is 380 W. This was reduced to 250 W in the 120 GB "Slim" model. PS3 Slim models have labels indicating localized input requirements for power (110 V 60 Hz for North American and Japanese models and 220-240 V 50 Hz for European and Australian models), however teardowns have revealed the power supplies are still universal.
Your best bet is to get yourself another converter, one that is specially designed for PS3's. That would be the safe bet.

Thing is,I have tried plugging it in with many different converters,or even without one because:
teardowns have revealed the power supplies are still universal

When I plug the PS3 in,everything seems fine(red LED is working),so it looks like it is in standby.
However,when I try to turn it on,the green LED either just turns on for a second,or sometimes you can hear the vents starting to spin,but then it just cuts off.

The reason I'm asking for help here is because I'm sure a lot of people here know more about how PS3 works than me,
and around my area almost no one has one,so identifying the problem first would help a lot,I guess.

Pretty sure anything should work off a US-Euro (or UK) mains adaptor, and there aren't specific ones for the PS3, though I could be wrong. And if the PSU is universal anyway, there might be a bigger problem somewhere. I don't want to seem cynical but why did your cousin send you a fully-working PS3?

Only other thing I can think of is check and swap out the fuse in the plug, if it is half-burned out it might lead to the behaviour you've described.

Is the mains input socket the same, and if so have you tried a regular Euro/UK mains lead? They are common to many appliances, particularly electrical stuff. Remember it is the PSU in the console which steps down the current, not the plug or lead (unlike say the 360 which has an external PSU)

Latest Posts

Back