PS3 System files corrupted....

• Thread starter srpst23
  • 4 comments
So apparently my system files on my PS3 are completely corrupted according to the system everytime that I try to boot up my PS3. This happened about a year ago and had to do the factory reset. I believe called "system restore" in safe mode (the second one from the bottom). This of course erased everything, but it seemed to solve the problem. Fast forward to recently, after my father-in-law was in town for a week. Now, even the "system restore" doesn't work. The system will just freeze an hour or so after the restore.

Does anyone know if putting an new hard drive into the system will solve this issue? Or is my PS3 shot completely? I know a refurbed system is about $130 at gamestop, but would obviously rather swap out a new HDD for like $30. All of my game data is obviously gone at this point so that isn't a concern. Anyone with knowledge on this matter, some advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

The hard drive might be failing.
If you shut the PS3 down correctly each time, then something might be wrong hardware wise.

Thanks, I guess that I'll order a new hard drive then. At least I'll get to expand my storage (even though I no longer have any data to store).

Did you try formatting it and doing a complete reinstall of the system software?

You could try that first and then get a new HDD if that doesn't help. A problem like this is very unlikely to be caused by any other hardware than the HDD, though. I wouldn't worry about having to buy a whole new PS3 at all.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back