PS3 USB Problem - the maximum power output has been reached

richiem2282

F1 & WRC Fanatic!!!
Premium
richiem2282
Hey guys, I'm having a problem with my PS3. I'm using a Fanatec GT3 RS wheel and Clubsport pedals and while I'm playing GT5 I get a message on the PS saying usb problem - the maximum power output has been reached, please unplug one of your devices... Any thoughts? I hope the USB port isn't failing and if so can it be repaired? No warranty, its over 3 years old. :nervous:

It's possible it's a problem with the USB port, but it's odd that it works at all if it is that. Try a powered USB hub and see what happens, also try plugging a keyboard or mouse into both (or all, if your PS3 is old enough) ports and see if you get the same message. Also try your wheel and pedals on a PC and see what happens, it's also possible that they have a shorted connection and are drawing too much current.

I'm with neema, try something else in the port, if the port works, use a powered hub for the wheel. I keep a usb stick in one port for game saves and everything else is plugged into a powered hub. I've got the same wheel and pedals and have had them plugged into the powered hub ever since I got them about a year ago.

I've actually become to notice this a bit recently. It's become more prevalent in Mac and PS3 users, whereby they're overloading their USB ports. I'm beginning to wonder if it might be Firmware coding...

I doubt that it is firmware, but maybe software? You could check and see if your wheel is compatible with GT5's latest patch since they tweak wheel support sometimes with each update.

Then again I'm not qualified since I don't own a wheel.

I tried a USB hub and it never powered the wheel and pedals properly, I'm using the 2 PS3 USB inputs since I got my wheel 18 months ago. was looking on other forums and they say that its either firmware or I need to do a HDD format and new install. Funny though, I reset the PS3 after it happened and it hasn't happened since. As long as its not a hardware issue . Also the wheel and pedals are working fine on the PC

For my wheel, the Fanatec GT3 and the Fanatec clubsport pedals are powered by it's own power brick. I never have any problems with the system saying that there is too much power being asked of it.

HEY, if you a thing called motion in joy it lets you charge your controller using your pc... all you need is a charger/ usb to mini usb cable:)

I can charge my ps3 controller without software. :/

I'd go with neema and say something is drawing too much current. Still a powered USB hub would most likely deal with it until something breaks.

HEY, if you a thing called motion in joy it lets you charge your controller using your pc... all you need is a charger/ usb to mini usb cable:)

I also have Motion in Joy (awesome to be able to use the DS3 on my PC) but pretty sure you can charge your controller from any USB port anyway? As it uses a common USB-to-mini-USB cable. So should also work with the little mains USB adaptors too, though don't try this at home kids, I guess I assumed this was the case but can anyone else confirm?

Regarding the problem in the OP, pretty sure I had this issue when I plugged a USB keyboard in so I could type in the GT5 rooms (I don't like using a mic), there was definitely something similar to that message coming up.

ive been looking and looking and ive finaly found some1 with my problem. I was using my wired turtle beaches and I had my controller plugged in then all of a sudden I got that same fateful message. my controller died cause I just plugged it in so now I don't know what to do.

ive been looking and looking and ive finaly found some1 with my problem. I was using my wired turtle beaches and I had my controller plugged in then all of a sudden I got that same fateful message. my controller died cause I just plugged it in so now I don't know what to do

Hi i am having the same problem as you did you find out what to do? Because i need help with this.

lukecornwell

Back