PS4 constantly turning on with Samsung TV

United Kingdom
Druids Bend
Z4E_Midnight85
Wasn't sure where else to post this so, apologies if it's the wrong place, but hoping someone can help with an annoying trait.

Any time we turn our Samsung TV on, the PS4 turns itself on and the TV goes into gaming mode and into the PS home screen. It's not an issue when I'm wanting to do some gaming, but it's pretty annoying when it happens pretty much every time anyone turns the TV on.

Anyone got any ideas as to why it might be doing this? I've searched through all the TV modes and PS settings and can't find an obvious link.

I think it would have to do with HDMI device link. There should be a setting somewhere in PS4 System settings for enabling it (or in your case disabling it). The TV also probably has a similar setting somewhere, but it might have some brand specific name for it.

Last edited:
I think it would have to do with HDMI device link. There should be a setting somewhere in PS4 System settings for enabling it (or in your case disabling it). The TV also probably has a similar setting somewhere, but it might have some brand specific name for it.
Managed to find the HDMI device link setting. If I turn it off, does that mean whenever I turn the PS on I'll have to manually change to the source for the PS? I can live with it if that means it doesn't turn on every time I turn the TV on!

Samsung's name for HDMI-CEC is AnyNet+, for some reason. Kind of fitting that their name for it is as half-arsed as HDMI-CEC itself, it could be a very useful thing but instead half the time it just does annoying things like turning your PS4 on whenever you turn your TV on.
Is that something that can be turned on/off in the TV settings somewhere?

I'm not sure, I know I need to enable it manually on the Samsung digital signage screens I use professionally but that's about where my knowledge ends. What's the model number of your TV?
Not a clue, some 43in Samsung TV. Nothing special.

Last edited:
Not a clue, some 43in Samsung TV. Nothing special.
Well, if I knew the model I could look up the manual and help you work it out, but without I'd say just dig through the menus and look for mentions of AnyNet+.

A while back I programmed a Raspberry Pi to turn my TV on and change channels with network commands so I could do things like boot my PC, turn the TV on and select the right channel for my PC or turn my TV off when the PC turns off but frankly it wasn't enough of an inconvenience to just use the remote... If HDMI-CEC had been widely adopted and made into a proper standard it could've been great, but I haven't seen it used for anything beyond turning screens on and off and selecting different sources, even in the pro AV industry. To be fair though, RS232 and network commands are much more flexible, you just don't get that option on home AV kit.

Well, if I knew the model I could look up the manual and help you work it out, but without I'd say just dig through the menus and look for mentions of AnyNet+.

A while back I programmed a Raspberry Pi to turn my TV on and change channels with network commands so I could do things like boot my PC, turn the TV on and select the right channel for my PC or turn my TV off when the PC turns off but frankly it wasn't enough of an inconvenience to just use the remote... If HDMI-CEC had been widely adopted and made into a proper standard it could've been great, but I haven't seen it used for anything beyond turning screens on and off and selecting different sources, even in the pro AV industry. To be fair though, RS232 and network commands are much more flexible, you just don't get that option on home AV kit.
I believe it's a UE43TU8507UXXU.

I've had a look and found the HDMI-CEC settings, but that would disable the volume control of the sound bar through the TV.

I think just turning it off on the PS4 is probably enough so you don't affect other things like the sound bar by messing with the setting on the TV itself. As you said you will probably just have to manually turn on the TV and switch source when you want to use the PS4. Doesn't hurt to just change the setting and give it a try.

I think just turning it off on the PS4 is probably enough so you don't affect other things like the sound bar by messing with the setting on the TV itself. As you said you will probably just have to manually turn on the TV and switch source when you want to use the PS4. Doesn't hurt to just change the setting and give it a try.
I've tried the HDMI Link settings in PS settings and seems to have solved it. Thank you for your help!!

Back