PS4 PS VRPS4 

Recently ordered the PS VR headset.
Does anyone know if asseto will implement vr to console version in the future?

Well in the normal PS4 it will not be possible to have assetto corsa in PSVR.

That is what Marco Massarutto said in a interview on the red bull website :

"Do you plan to support other headsets incoming. Say, PlayStation VR?
With the PlayStation, of course our first priority is to get the game out so as many people as possible can enjoy it. When it comes to the PS version of VR, the big problem is performance there but, you know, they may be coming out with that new upgraded model."

http://www.redbull.com/en/games/stories/1331796496220/assetto-corsa-on-ps4-and-xbox-one-interview

The normal PS4 is very limited in performance for VR games, so in case of Assetto you should buy also the PS4 pro..

Well in the normal PS4 it will not be possible to have assetto corsa in PSVR.

That is what Marco Massarutto said in a interview on the red bull website :

"Do you plan to support other headsets incoming. Say, PlayStation VR?
With the PlayStation, of course our first priority is to get the game out so as many people as possible can enjoy it. When it comes to the PS version of VR, the big problem is performance there but, you know, they may be coming out with that new upgraded model."

http://www.redbull.com/en/games/stories/1331796496220/assetto-corsa-on-ps4-and-xbox-one-interview

The normal PS4 is very limited in performance for VR games, so in case of Assetto you should buy also the PS4 pro..
Ok I'm writing my letter to father Christmas tonight :)

As of now it's not allowed to limit the VR feature to the PS4 Pro.

The "base" game on the two Ps4 games must be the same, and in the online multiplayer they must go at the exact same framerate.

But the game on PS4 Pro can have some "extras".

So if we look good to assetto corsa, on the PS4 and PS4 pro the "basis" game is/will be the same. And for the multiplayer the equal.

But then apart from the "basis" the game on PS4 Pro can have the PSVR option as an "extra".

Because, PSVR is really an accessory apart..
If there's not enough performance on the normal PS4... Well They put it like an "extra" feature of PS4 pro..

And that is what Sony really said about the games on PS4 and PS4 pro... The basis of the game is the same on the two consoles..

And, otherwise, why should Marco Massarutto mention the possibility to give the PSVR option as extra on the PS4 Pro if they couldn't do it?

I'll quote from the article that was posted yesterday:

"Somewhat surprisingly, the company labelled the standard console, which boasts the same innards at the new slim model, as the “primary platform” for the anticipated VR headset and not its newer, more powerfulPS4 Pro. Speaking to MCV, President and CEO of Sony Interactive Entertainment Europe (SIEE), Jim Ryan, said that the company had given the situation “very careful thought”, adding PS4 Pro will provide “An enhanced VR experience” for those that use it."

I'll quote from the article that was posted yesterday:

"Somewhat surprisingly, the company labelled the standard console, which boasts the same innards at the new slim model, as the “primary platform” for the anticipated VR headset and not its newer, more powerfulPS4 Pro. Speaking to MCV, President and CEO of Sony Interactive Entertainment Europe (SIEE), Jim Ryan, said that the company had given the situation “very careful thought”, adding PS4 Pro will provide “An enhanced VR experience” for those that use it."

Hahaha, Jim Ryan.... The same guy that said in Paris game week of 2015 that GT Sport isn't GT7 and more a kind of a "Prologue" without being a "Prologue" thanks to Internet updates....hahaha.

And now we all now that GT Sport is a normal game in the series, and could be renamed GT 7 Sport...

Yes brandom...

The normal PS4 is the basis for PSVR. And primary console.

But like i said, in case of Assetto corsa and the "law" of sony is that the basis of the game in the normal and pro console.
But the pro can give some "extra" feature thanks to the extra performance..

So on of the extra features can be easily PSVR..

Otherwise.. Why should Marco Massarutto mention that the normal PS4 can't be compatible with PSVR, but the improved model (pro) can be compatible???

The interview is from may 2016 and all the "laws" for the games on the two consoles was already filtred,and in June oficial said.

Even Ian Bell once the last year said he didn't know if he will make PSVR compatible with the normal PS4,that it would depend on how much he has to "cut" the game for getting the minimum solid 60 fps needed.

And let's go even more away.. Sony said that ace combat 7 would be compatible with PSVR and GT Sport also... But since they announced those big performance games none has been shown working on the PS VR.

And at last... Assetto Don't achieve solid 60fps on PS4 (goes around 50), Pcars doesn't work at solid 60fps either, and GT Sport is delayed and don't work at solid 60 Fps either, even with the dynamic climate and day night dynamic cycle out of the game.
And driveclub VR, to achieve 60 solid fps took their dynamic climate out the game and from 16 cars on track in the original in the VR version they only achieved to get 8 cars on track.

So i realy think that more simple and experience type of games will be in the normal PS4, that will be the most of them.

And that some high performance games like assetto or Pcars (1&2) will have the PSVR option as "extra" feature.

Time will say,but i believe more in what some developers says like Marco Massarutto instead what the "commercial" Jim Rayan says from Sony... And more knowing that it isn't the first time he doesn't say all the "truth"

In the beginning of the generation in 2013 he also said that 1080p solid 60fps would be the minimum basis of the games in this gen...:lol::lol:

Now they have to sale a 400 bucks accessory to the people before the ps4 pro hits the shelfs...

Otherwise.. Why should Marco Massarutto mention that the normal PS4 can't be compatible with PSVR, but the improved model (pro) can be compatible???

Except he didn't say that (at least not in the comments quoted here). He said their main concern is getting AC out so people can play it and that performance may be an issue. Right now they are working on performance improvements.

And at last... Assetto Don't achieve solid 60fps on PS4 (goes around 50),

At the moment. There is an update coming soon which they've said has addressed some of these problems. Will it hit a solid 60fps? I don't know, but I'm sure it will be better than it is now. I think it's probably unlikely to see AC working on PSVR, at least not in the near future. They're just recently getting it working on the PC side and it took some convincing from the community for them to do it. I was only pointing out Sony's comments that the standard PS4 would be able to work with PSVR and that the Pro version would have added VR features.

Except he didn't say that (at least not in the comments quoted here). He said their main concern is getting AC out so people can play it and that performance may be an issue. Right now they are working on performance improvements.

At the moment. There is an update coming soon which they've said has addressed some of these problems. Will it hit a solid 60fps? I don't know, but I'm sure it will be better than it is now. I think it's probably unlikely to see AC working on PSVR, at least not in the near future. They're just recently getting it working on the PC side and it took some convincing from the community for them to do it. I was only pointing out Sony's comments that the standard PS4 would be able to work with PSVR and that the Pro version would have added VR features.
if they could get it to run fine on psvr and they've brought the game up to date in terms of whats currently feature lacking then it could be a way tò boost sales. I was watching a few vids on psvr last night and im now pretty excited and considerìng preordering one.

if they could get it to run fine on psvr and they've brought the game up to date in terms of whats currently feature lacking then it could be a way tò boost sales. I was watching a few vids on psvr last night and im now pretty excited and considerìng preordering one.

It's pretty sweet with AC if they could get it working. I'm not sure I'd get my hopes up though.

Mmmmmm marco said this exactly :

When it comes to the PS version of VR, the big problem is performance there but, you know, they may be coming out with that new upgraded model."

And yes,sure that the performance will improve, but even first party studios got problems to achieve 60 Fps solid.

n7zmH7h.jpg
this picture is from the presentation of the PSVR and even rendering at 60fps may cause discomfort and sony says to try at least achieve 90fps..

So I'm, sorry, and time will say if I'm wrong or not, but on the normal PS4 we will have the most VR games London heist and experiences.

But some high demanding performance games I'm sure we will see them compatible with PSVR as an extra feature

Even a PC for The Oculus and vive are with some high minimum hardware requirements.

And you still believe that an closed hardware like the normal PS4 ho struggles with most of the games can run high performance demanding games on VR???

Well,i don't! Otherwise, wy they made PS4 pro? Only for "4K" gaming (and new games don't aproch even the native 4k,but that's an other story)?
When they said in 2013 in the PlayStation blog that 4K movies would arrive in an update (never arrived)
Or that the standard for PS4 would be 1080p 60fps (and most games goes at 30fps and struggling, or 900p like battlefield 4..

Time will say, but reading lots about the PSVR and seeing what happens and happened don't make me at all confident,and they don't gonna say the truth till ps4 pro is on the market and they have already sold a good amount of PSVR.

I keep thinking that assetto and other games don't will have PSVR compatibility on the normal PS4! And receive compatibility as extra feature on PS4 Pro.

Like i said, hopefully I'm wrong, but i realy don't think that I'm wrong.

All those little things makes me looking forward to mount me a gaming PC and get away from the "new" console world.

And driveclub VR, to achieve 60 solid fps took their dynamic climate out the game and from 16 cars on track in the original in the VR version they only achieved to get 8 cars on track...

12 cars on track in the original game, not 16. And as you say they've dropped weather/climate and dynamic time of day (I think you can still choose a fixed time of day) for the VR version.
DriveClub is the best looking racing game on any platform when looking at artistic details rather than just resolution and framerate (haven't seen Forza Horizon 3, might beat it?), so it seems like other racing games ought to be playable on PS VR too with the right trade-offs (8 cars on track would probably be unacceptable in a game like Project Cars or Asetto Corsa, but then perhaps 16-20 instead), and obviously efficient engines and performance optimization but perhaps DriveClub has a much stronger hand there than most (seems like CodeMasters might be able to deliver).

I have a PS VR on pre-order, really looking forward to DriveClub VR, though certainly hoping to see other racers too eventually.

12 cars on track in the original game, not 16. And as you say they've dropped weather/climate and dynamic time of day (I think you can still choose a fixed time of day) for the VR version.
DriveClub is the best looking racing game on any platform when looking at artistic details rather than just resolution and framerate (haven't seen Forza Horizon 3, might beat it?), so it seems like other racing games ought to be playable on PS VR too with the right trade-offs (8 cars on track would probably be unacceptable in a game like Project Cars or Asetto Corsa, but then perhaps 16-20 instead), and obviously efficient engines and performance optimization but perhaps DriveClub has a much stronger hand there than most (seems like CodeMasters might be able to deliver).

I have a PS VR on pre-order, really looking forward to DriveClub VR, though certainly hoping to see other racers too eventually.

Well horizon3 goes at 1080p 30fps like the original driveclub, with a little difference.. Open World! So what horizon 3 achieved is for me way more impressive than driveclub (really nice graphics, i now, cause i have it,but don't know why they don't impressed me,the best is in raining climate.. The rest for be a closed track arcade..it's just good)

For me project cars on a high end PC equals driveclub graphics in my opinion.

And good luck with PSVR! I realy want to believe in the VR technology, but is still on dampers.
Sony even lied in the presentation of PS4 pro, saying 4K Horizon, 4K here, 4K there.. Till digital Foundry showed that the games where upscale.. After that, the devs of horizon said it's true, that it is upscale and not native 4K and sony said.. Well,it's 4K,you barrely see the difference between upscaled and native..

They have lied a lot this generation, and the same with PSVR... Did They show ace combat 7 and GT Sport working on PSVR? While they announced them in 2015? Nooo...nobody has seen them working in VR, not even in a WIP.

All this,together with declarations like those of Marco Massarutto, and even Ian Bell ho said that compatibility with PSVR depends on how much they have to trim and game.. Don't make me confident to buy the VR glasses for 400 bucks if i after that must buy an other console for 400 bucks more for be able to play high performance demanding games and the normal ones without motion sickness and stuff like that.

So,good luck with your PSVR, hopefully you don't will or feel cheated by sony in a near future and that I'm completely wrong.

Well horizon3 goes at 1080p 30fps like the original driveclub, with a little difference.. Open World! So what horizon 3 achieved is for me way more impressive than driveclub (really nice graphics, i now, cause i have it,but don't know why they don't impressed me,the best is in raining climate.. The rest for be a closed track arcade..it's just good)

For me project cars on a high end PC equals driveclub graphics in my opinion.

And good luck with PSVR! I realy want to believe in the VR technology, but is still on dampers.
Sony even lied in the presentation of PS4 pro, saying 4K Horizon, 4K here, 4K there.. Till digital Foundry showed that the games where upscale.. After that, the devs of horizon said it's true, that it is upscale and not native 4K and sony said.. Well,it's 4K,you barrely see the difference between upscaled and native..

They have lied a lot this generation, and the same with PSVR... Did They show ace combat 7 and GT Sport working on PSVR? While they announced them in 2015? Nooo...nobody has seen them working in VR, not even in a WIP.

All this,together with declarations like those of Marco Massarutto, and even Ian Bell ho said that compatibility with PSVR depends on how much they have to trim and game.. Don't make me confident to buy the VR glasses for 400 bucks if i after that must buy an other console for 400 bucks more for be able to play high performance demanding games and the normal ones without motion sickness and stuff like that.

So,good luck with your PSVR, hopefully you don't will or feel cheated by sony in a near future and that I'm completely wrong.

I have no idea whether VR will have a future - though with particularly the smartphone options (Gear VR, Google Cardboard, in a month or two Google Daydream) being available to the masses, initially high end phones but in a couple of years probably mid range too, I think it looks fairly promising.

Regarding PSVR, nearly all previews I've watched or read lately have been very positive, and all demos have been on standard PS4s. Biggest issue for now is that much of the pretty large content catalog available for PSVR at launch or before the end of the year are more like bite sized tech demos or small indie games (though many of those certainly also look very interesting), with full sized AAA games much more sparse. But I think that still applies to a substantial extent to Vive and Oculus as well?
As far as specifically GT Sport and Ace Combat 7 go - I haven't been following the development of the latter (though it's certainly a game I'm likely to buy for VR) but I think it's safe to say that Sony is not to blame for the glacial development pace of the Gran Turismo series.

PS4 Pro and PSVR have barely been mentioned in connection with each other yet I believe. Obviously the potential is there for better visuals, but in terms of framerate - and thus things like VR motion sickness - all PSVR games are required to run at 60 fps (interpolated to 120 before it's sent to the headset), so performance should not be an issue. And regardless if it happens I doubt it's going to go well for the developers since smooth performance is more crucial to VR so they probably can't get away with cutting corners (even if Sony had lied and started slacking on the rules) without a big backlash.

We'll see. I'm buying PSVR for the immediate future because I'm curious about VR and have decided that this is the option that best matches my content interests and budget (I recently considered cancelling my pre-order and opting for a high end smartphone and Google Daydream early next year instead, but the games content there is likely to be a lot less inspiring, like virtually all mobile gaming).

PS4 Pro and PSVR have barely been mentioned in connection with each other yet I believe.

Little was said about it at the PS4 Pro reveal event indeed, but it was quite significant nonetheless; Mark Cerny emphasized how Impulse Gear roughly doubled Rendered Pixel Count of their game thanks to the upgraded hardware. That would suggest spatial resolution will be sacrificed in order to achieve the required fps on the original PS4. And if you consider Sony’s headset native resolution of 960 x 1080 per eye that could lead to about SVGA resolution levels...

It takes a lot of raw CPU & GPU horsepower to run VR.

I am a PC gamer not a console gamer. I own a Rift CV1 and run it on a i7 6700 and a GTX 1080. The resolution is just adequate and leaves a lot to be desired. I can maintain a 90 fps with 16 cars but it drops off above that and is really not good at 24 cars. I much prefer racing in VR vs the 28" 4K monitor I was using previously. I am willing to trade the large loss in clarity for 3D perspective and head tracking.

The problem for everyone in the VR world is that the cost of creating a reasonable experience is still too high for a mainstream product. In addition I have tried other VR games and none are that compelling in 3D, racing and flight simulations are the perfect starting spot for VR but they are also very demanding in terms of cpu and gpu.

I don't know what the relative throughput of a PS4 or PS4 pro are in comparison to my rig but I believe they are significantly lower. I wouldn't have much expectations for AC providing a good experience in VR on a console anytime soon.

Last edited:
Back