PS5 Disc or No disc?

• Thread starter jergto
  • 16 comments

Get a PS5 Disc or No Disc?

• Total voters
United States
United States
I did a quick search of what the benefits of GT5 Disc are, apparently I can play PS4 games. I skipped PS4 generation so I don't have any PS4 games. Also, don't really care for any of the games of that generation.
However, I do like having the option to play disc games and blu ray/dvd. I do have a XB1X and an SX so playing blu ray isnt an issue.

I also plan to get a ps5 pro or what ever mid cycle refresh they have in the pipeline. For that console, Id want disc, if i skip PS5 disc...

Besides being able to play ps4 disc games, what is the advantage of PS5 disc? Thinking I could just save that extra $100 and use it for a 2tb or higher nvme ssd for additional storage.

Purely the option of buying and using physical media. I have the digital only version and have no regrets with it, although we are early in its lifecycle.

Get the disc version. Another blu-ray/DVD player never hurts, and you get the benefits of having a physical thing that you can touch and hold. Adds a real sense of ownership to your games.

I got disc version since at times I play my old ps4 games plus I can borrow some of my friends or my brothers ps5 games.

I got the disc version because I like physical media better than digital. I like digital, but I just prefer physical over digital.

I do have some digital movies and a digital PS4 game; but I still prefer physical. Yes, it takes up room to store them, but I'm a child of the older generation who always had a stack of games laying around.

Disc version. Because of old PS4 games and also unlike digital you can sell the games you don't want or after you're done with them.

I wanted the digital version but went with the disk version, beggars can’t be choosers. I don’t see much of point in buying physical copies of games anymore.

Disc. There'll always be a good deal somewhere on a physical copy of a game you want. Plus it's a 4k UHD Blu-ray player which is nice to have as well.

Personally I haven't bought a game on disc since... I don't even know, the only physical PS4 game I had was GT Sport and that was only because it came with my Pro, I stopped buying discs long before that, the only other game on disc in my possession right now is my copy of MGS 4 with its limited edition HMV cardboard sleeve. Oh and a copy of Wipeout 2097 for purely nostalgic reasons. At this point in my life I just don't have room for nor the desire to own unnecessary clutter but I also don't mind buying games that I can't sell - I buy the overwhelming majority on Steam so I can get a refund if I choose poorly and (usually) research PS4 game purchases carefully so that I don't buy duds that I end up being stuck with. Sure I can't resell them, but I never did anyway.

That said, I'd still get a disc PS5 because it's also a 4K blu ray player. Films are one thing I'm happy to own physically because Netflix etc. quality just isn't as good and there are tons of films I absolutely love and need to be able to pass on to my son independently of their availability on a streaming service.

I have the disk version because of 2 reasons:
  • I have some ultra hd blu ray discs I love to watch (twin peaks complete collection)
  • sometimes I buy disc versions of a game I know they will otherwise render impossible to play after a certain time.

It would actually be better to get the disc version cause if you download the digital version and just say your system crashes in 2-3 years, then the digital copy of the gt7 you purchased will be gone/deleted unless of course you buy a flash drive and copy the ps5 data on it, that way you can transfer it to the new ps5 or whatever system. Just a suggestion for you.

Last edited:
I went digital but would probably go disc today just for options. Like I could use it for a 4K Blu-ray player.

I bought my PS5 for one reason and one reason only. GT7. So because the anniversary pre order came with a physical copy, my choice was made for me.

I likely would have gone for the disc version anyway, because like Daan said you have options that way.

Though given I still have my PS4 and the only other PS5 disc I have is Destruction Allstars, there's probably a -2% chance that GT7 disc will ever come out again. :lol:

Back