"PSP Remote Play for dummies" needed

• Thread starter Greycap
  • 7 comments

Greycap

The Flying Finn
Premium
Finland
Finland
In short, the tutorials from the web don't work, the instructions on the PS3 don't work, and the PSP doesn't have any. So I'm asking here before I send the PSP into a wall, or worse, the TV.

What do I have to do to get the Remote Play working? Do I need a working WLAN system or can the PS3 provide the connection? Am I just stupid enough to screw it up? From what I've understood everything should work after I've registered the PSP with the PS3 and established a connection as the PS3 tells me but it certainly doesn't work.

If there's someone out there that could list every gadget I have to own and every trick I have to do to make it work I'd be very thankful. 👍

Not to single him out, but off the top of my head I know Foolkiller has both his PSP and PS3 working together. He might be able to help you get it all sorted out.

I'd love to be able to offer some guidance, but I don't have a PSP, which makes it kind of difficult.

I believe you would need a wireless router involved somewhere but, like TB, I'm in the don'thaveaPSP camp.

OK, let me try. I'm not at home so I am remembering the best I can.

I have always had a wireless router, so I am not too sure if you can do it without or not.

I am assuming that you have registered or synced the PS to the PS3 by now? You can copy over PS1 games and whatnot purchased off of the PS Store?

First you have to put the PS3 in Remote Play mode in the Network menu. Make sure it is online and signed in to the PSN.

Then when you have your PSP make sure WiFi is turned on and then go to the Remote Play option. Select connect via Internet, I believe. When my PS3 is in WiFi mode I have been able to detect the PS3 as a Wifi connection and connect online that way. But I do not know if it is sending out its own proxy on my WiFi or from within the system itself.

You will have to log in via your PSN account using your email address and password attached to your PS3's PSN. Now, it should log you in, and then connect to your PS3. The screen will switch to your PS3s XMB.

All that said, what is your problem exactly? Where is it getting hung up and what error message is it giving you? I have been away from home before and not been able to get connected before it timed out. But I have also been able to connect from far away, via my own wirless router, and even straight through the PS3's wireless connection it provides.

I can help better if you go step by step what you are doing and what it says when it fails.

I'm going to be doing some Christmas shopping tonight, so it may not be until later this evening or tomorrow before I can go through it on my setup to see what it is doing. But if you can tell me what it is doing before I leave work I may be able to figure it out.

I would tell you the specific error if I got it again... it works. :ouch:

Either I was doing something very basic wrong yesterday without even realizing it or my PSP had a poltergeist in it but anyway, no more connection time outs. I connected through the Private Network option (no wireless router in my possession) and it worked like a charm on the first try. Oh well, thanks for the help and merry Christmas!

I connected through the Private Network option (no wireless router in my possession) and it worked like a charm on the first try. Oh well, thanks for the help and merry Christmas!
After messing with mine last night I was going to suggest this.

Also, while the PS3 will work as a WiFi connection for Remote Play it gives a DNS error if you try anything else, like web browser or Internet radio.

However, I do suggest attempting to get used to the WiFi abilities any time you get a chance. It is incredibly handy to be able to pull up my work email (forwarded to gmail), surf the Web, and listen to Internet radio while sitting in a hospital or while on vacation.

The odd thing is that I was connecting through the very same option yesterday and it just wouldn't get going. No idea why.

I've used the wireless capabilities when I've had open networks available, the email and Web surfing are useful extras for a machine I bought solely for gaming. I wonder if anybody is going to make a better browser for it some day to turn the experience from good to very good.

The odd thing is that I was connecting through the very same option yesterday and it just wouldn't get going. No idea why.
If it was timing out then it may have been interference or something odd.

I wonder if anybody is going to make a better browser for it some day to turn the experience from good to very good.
Doubtful. It can load full Web pages, as opposed to the cell phone versions, so it is using a lot of memory and it is fairly limited. If I understand correctly that is why it does not have Flash capabilities.

Back