PSPGO with DS3 Review.

• Thread starter ploopsy
  • 29 comments
Canada
Toronto
I got a PSPGO and It works really well with the PS3 controller. If you dont own a PSP yet I would highly recommend getting a PSPGO and a DS3 or 6AXIS.

X gas, square brake, tri reverse, O ebrake. L2 and R2 are basically the same as L1 and R1. The controller settings menu still shows the PSP layout. So if you map a control to L1 then L2 will do the exact same thing.

The PSP does not detect face button (X, O, Dpad etc...) pressure even with the PS3 controller. But if you ever played GT1 or GT2 then you are probably used to the old fashioned tapping technique. The R stick does nothing and there was no rumble during GT gameplay.

The actual steering feels way more refined. The PS3 controller is like the equivalent of a G25 or Fanatech wheel for you PSP. If you havent purchased a PSP then I would advise you to get a GO. I am not even joking, the game immediately becomes way more enjoyable with the tried and true PS controller.

If you look at the price of the 3000 vs the GO it evens out after a purchase of storage.
3000 is $160 (CAN $) but if you want 16gb of storage it will run you about $90 (if you are lucky) so your total would be $240. The GO is $250 but it has 16gb built in and the amazingly useful bluetooth aswell. If you dont have any UMDs and you dont mind not being able to freely buy or sell used games (or any other drawbacks that the GO has) then the PSPGO/DS3 combo is awesome for GTPSP.

Keep in mind you will also need to use a PS3 to sync the controller to the PSPGO. You only have to do this once so if you dont own a PS3 then you can just visit a friends place and sync it. It will continue to work with the PSPGO aslong as you dont connect the DS3 with usb cable to a PS3 console.

Final verdict: Really awesome!!!
I think we will need to have 2 divisions among Ad-Hoc Party racers. Its so awesome and precise that its pretty much an unfair advantage if your opponents are nubbing around the track.

^^^ 100% correct.

There is no pressure sensitivity in any of the buttons. The gas and brake is always the same no matter how hard or softly the buttons are pressed.

So basically, it's the same as using the buttons on the PSP, except a DS3 is much easier to handle?(especially the analogue stick vs the nub on the PSP)

^^^YES Using the DS to steer is 10x better than the nub.

The nub is way too twitchy and shifty. Steering with the DS3s stick is wayyyyy better. It actually responds just as well as any modern GT game (GT3+). Shifting is also a breeze with the L2 and R2 buttons. Shifting on the PSP300 and PSPGO (with L1 R1) feels about as weird as steering with that nub does.

Its easier to focus on the driving when you are not using the weird and tiny ass PSP controls. I think part of the reason is simply that most GT players are used to the DS controller which is allot easier than getting carpol tunnel in your fingers.

The biggest let down with GTPSP is probably the PSPs dinky and weird feeling controls. The GO helps eliminate all the dinky and some of the weird :-P

*EDIT*
BTW. If I had to compare the built in controls of the PSP3000 vs the GO I actually like the GOs controls a bit more than the 3000s (but still 10x less than the DS :-P). Shifting with the GOs L and R feels allot less weird compared to the 3000 and the position of the nub makes it easier to do more subtle turns. The tiny face buttons on the GO feel a little weird at first but you forget how tiny they are once you adjust. The PSPGO also has a nice solid feel (no cheap ****** umd cover jiggling at the back).

Last edited:
I have redefined the controls (PSP-3004); I use L1 for brakes, R1 for gas, square for downshift and triangle for upshift. Cross for handbrake and circle for reverse. D-Pad for steering, but I disabled the up and down keys since they were set to shifting, which resulted in me accidentally shifting up or down every now and then (usually in tight corners ;)).

Can I hook up PSPGO to a TV and play GT on it? as well at the same time use DS3?

^^^ Yes, it shouldnt be an issue since the controller uses the bluetooth and the tv output uses the connector on the bottom of the PSP.

I think what you have in mind is exactly what sony had in mind.

Good comments :), I'm going to sync my Go with my PS3 tonight and try it out! I'm very pleased to have chosen the Go now. It's one of those great Extra's that you can appreciate.

Good comments :), I'm going to sync my Go with my PS3 tonight and try it out! I'm very pleased to have chosen the Go now. It's one of those great Extra's that you can appreciate.
You mean, another one of those "things" that you can use to self-justify the purchase of an over-priced PSP? I love how people go stating how it costs the same to get a PSP 3000 with 16GB of memory, assuming that everybody who buys a 3000 would do so...

Anyway, I tried the Go at the weekend - awful, awful control layout. Far too cramped, but I can see how the DS3 would resolve that. Shame it means you end up having to carry a DSS with you, as well as find way to locate the PSP close by so you can see it without holding it. Suddenly, it makes a mockery of buying the Go in the first place, cos' you cannot GO anywhere without your DS3...nice...

You mean, another one of those "things" that you can use to self-justify the purchase of an over-priced PSP? I love how people go stating how it costs the same to get a PSP 3000 with 16GB of memory, assuming that everybody who buys a 3000 would do so...

Anyway, I tried the Go at the weekend - awful, awful control layout. Far too cramped, but I can see how the DS3 would resolve that. Shame it means you end up having to carry a DSS with you, as well as find way to locate the PSP close by so you can see it without holding it. Suddenly, it makes a mockery of buying the Go in the first place, cos' you cannot GO anywhere without your DS3...nice...

lol just.... lol

is there a bluetooth racing wheel that would work?
i'm guessing not but it would be awesome if there was

no need to pay an arm and a leg for a16gb mem stick when one of those photofast cr 5400 adapters and 2 8gb micro sd cards can be as cheap as 40 usd. i could save the money on a go for something else

lol just.... lol
I know, let's go and spend all that money on a handheld console, then sit at home and play the game with a DS3... Yep, it's funny alright.

I'd pay more attention if it wasn't for your copy-cat use of the overused cackronym "lol"...

I like the GO controls, been switching between it and a 1000 and the go is much more comfortable long term. And the screen is many many times more impressive.

Don't really see the point in connecting my DS3 to it though.

I know, let's go and spend all that money on a handheld console, then sit at home and play the game with a DS3... Yep, it's funny alright.

I'd pay more attention if it wasn't for your copy-cat use of the overused cackronym "lol"...

Read my review.

The cost of the psp3000 with 16gb is 10$ less than the go. If you already have a DS3 or 6AXIS then you are ready to roll. If you live in the EU and you got the free copy of GT with the go then its totally worth the purchase. The go is nice and it does not feel cheap and flimsy.

Why make fun of the gtpsp fans who payed a little extra for a better experience? The DS3 feels so much better than the built in controls that it outweighs the drawback of having to carry it around.

No one says anything when people plonk 300$ on a steering wheel and another 350$ on a chassis. Which takes up a good chunk of floorspace.

I like the GO controls, been switching between it and a 1000 and the go is much more comfortable long term. And the screen is many many times more impressive.

Don't really see the point in connecting my DS3 to it though.

But if you have a controller lying around you might aswell take 2 minutes to set it up and then try to play the game with it. You will probably like it so much that you will also post a review raving about it.

I probably will like it a lot :P but as I intend to play a lot out of the house I would rather stay accustomed to playing with the dpad and buttons. I will probably give it a go at some point though.

^^^ Yes, it shouldnt be an issue since the controller uses the bluetooth and the tv output uses the connector on the bottom of the PSP.

I think what you have in mind is exactly what sony had in mind.

Question Does the PSPgo come with the cable, to hook it up to a tv!

I probably will like it a lot :P but as I intend to play a lot out of the house I would rather stay accustomed to playing with the dpad and buttons. I will probably give it a go at some point though.

Just switch it up once in a while. DS3 at home and built in dpad when you are at school or work or whatever.

So let me get this straight -

1. Purchase a PSP Go
  2. Purchase a Component AV for the PSP Go
  3. Purchase a DS3 Controller
  4. Purchase GT for the PSP

Then...

1. Pair DS3 Controller with PSP Go
  2. Download GT for PSP from PSN
  3. Connect AV Component Cable to My 24" HD Monitor
  4. Put PSP Go Into TV Progressive Mode
  5. Boot and Start GT for PSP
  6. Play GT for PSP on my 24" Monitor :)

Now granted, all total it might be cheaper to buy a PS3 Slim and GT5:P (though I haven't added it all up yet) but playing a few PSP games with a proper controller and a larger screen might be worth while, especially those released to the PSP only.

GT:PSP is free if you buy a Go at the moment.

You need a PS3 to connect the DS3 to the Go.

GT:PSP is free if you buy a Go at the moment.

You need a PS3 to connect the DS3 to the Go.

I just saw that, lucky for me a friend of mine just got a 160GB PS3 not to long ago.

The Go is $249 at Gamestop- Eeek!

Refub'ed Slim PSP is $119 same place.

Component Cable - $29

GT for PSP - $39

Adds up quickly...

My hours have been cut, I'm poor and broke :(

I might just have to wait until GT drops as I hope it does around Christmas, I have planned to get both the game and the console at that time.

GT for the PSP is looks great though.

^^^they gotta draw the line somewhere its priority is being portable. If they throw in the cable then all the people who want it to travel with wil start crying foul that they had to pay for the cable just to get there hands on a psp.

Its already bad enough that I had to pay for a copy of rockband.

If ps3s came with hdmi cables then all the sdtv owners will bitch about having to pay for the hdmi cable. Since hdtvs have sd inputs then the rgb cables are the better cable to include.

Basically if they include something that will not be required by 100% of the users then some will get pissed since they are paying for it.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back