PSVR + Wheel + Nürburgring = Awesomeness (THE real driving simulator)

• Thread starter gtbillyboy
  • 8 comments
The VR aspects of this game are certainly lacking, and having to play the 2d game to progress isn't what us PSVR owners expected. However, it's all worth it when you get to drive the ring in VR + a wheel IMO - this is a completely different experience and so enjoyable - everyone needs to experience this!

Sony need to consider relaxing their policy on enforcing the same content on both platforms, so the PS4 pro can support extra cars and make the game it NEEDS to be. Alternatively Polyphony Digital should make half an effort on the PS4 to support extra cars even if it's terrible, with everyone on PSVR understanding that the best experience will be on the pro - I'm sure people like me would upgrade - which increase console sales.

My final thought - It's taken Polyphony Digital 20 years to get near the quality they have always wanted for 2d, and I don't want to wait another 5- 20 years before we get quality VR simulated racer aka the real simulator experience from them!

I have a Pro and have been really very impressed with the scant offerings in VR from Polyphony. I have been saying similar things in various forums that the Pro should be allowed to offer enhanced experiences. As long as the core game works on original PS4, why on earth limit the extra processing that the Pro offers.

Come on Sony and Polyphony, this could be an awesome experience and certainly could boost sales of both PSVR and Pro’s!

If you truly want to experience THE real driving simulator buy a PC , Rift/Vive and a copy of PC2, AC, R3E, etc.

I have been tempted by PSVR but the 1 v 1 races are not worth it when I already have VR on PC.

Last edited:
I also have a T300 with PS Pro-PSVR and have to admit that GT Sport VR mode looks great. Also e.g. with the fog etc at Nordschleife. But the 1:1 against the AI is not even a race. After three turns the other car is far far behind. So it becomes a solo ride through the German forest. Still fun to experience.

For the real VR race I definitely prefer my PC+Oculus setup in combination with PCars2 and AC. And both also look very good in VR.

I also have a T300 with PS Pro-PSVR and have to admit that GT Sport VR mode looks great. Also e.g. with the fog etc at Nordschleife. But the 1:1 against the AI is not even a race. After three turns the other car is far far behind. So it becomes a solo ride through the German forest. Still fun to experience.

For the real VR race I definitely prefer my PC+Oculus setup in combination with PCars2 and AC. And both also look very good in VR.
How does the visual fidelity compare to 1080p?

I bought a PSVR on release. It's been packed away in a closet since a couple of months later.

While I can't deny there were some initially impressive experiences (eg. the shark cage in PSVR Worlds(?), an animated movie I can't remember the title of, Dirt Rally, and a handful more) the overall impression was one of massive visual trade-offs (none disappointed me more than DriveClub VR, the regular game remains one of my favourite), discomfort, nausea after never more than 20-30 minutes - a few games I couldn't last a minute (but all the motion sickness is obviously a very individual matter) and most importantly, once the initial wow factor of "being there" quickly wore off I always found that I would much rather play games on a good old fashioned TV or monitor.

First and last time in a long time for me as an early tech adopter.

I'll try VR again when the glasses are the size of 3D glasses and the visuals as subjectively sharp - without sacrificing too much detail - as a 1080p TV image.
I did try slightly more compact and wireless VR as I was foolish enough to also buy the Samsung Gear headset for my Galaxy S7 phone. I think I used it less than ten times.

One day we will all play racing games in VR, when the technology catches up. I'm use an Oculus Rift on my PC sim rig and yes it's extremely immersive. But after a while I get tired of the low resolution and miss the incredible graphics my EVGA 1080Ti card can produce on triple screens. So I switch back to monitors for a while. Then I miss VR and I go back to that. It's best to have both.

Back